1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

NIL vs going into the draft early

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Animus, May 21, 2022.

1. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    With Jordan Addison getting more money in NIL than a base salary than that of a Kenny Pickett, and I'm sure he's not the only one getting multi-millions in NIL, what effects will this have in the draft. Will players stay in school for that NIL? Will that NIL sponsorships carry over into the NFL? I'd have to think that Kenny Pickett, especially if he starts, will end up with more sponsorship money than a Addison + his base salary, but I'm not sure if a Pickens would end up with that much more sponsorships in addition to his salary.

2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You know.....I've been thinking a lot about this.....Hell My Brother, and I have just been discussing this, and I have No real answer, but it is a great Question.....It has 2 affect it in someway. :thumbs_up:

3. Quadrupleyoi

Quadrupleyoi Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2017
    I think that many will stay in school because of the NIL money. In fact, I think that soon we may see a player from a major program like Alabama or Notre Dame who will actually have to take a pay cut to play in the NFL!
    It doesn’t bother me. They generate a lot of money so they might as well get some. It doesn’t affect the purity of the college game, because it has never been pure. It’s just now out in the open.

4. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I agree 100%. And I tend to think it lowers the risk of guys bombing out in the pros. I think quite a few of them need that one extra year of development.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    This a very difficult situation. Who monitors the programs to make sure all are abiding by the rules?
    This is no problem for the Tx, T A&M, Alabama's, Clemson, ND, OSU, PSU, USC, Miami's of the world. What about
    the other schools such as Pitt, Wisconsin, Mich State?

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Wait until the Holdouts start happening?

If a WR transfer is making $3.25 million, how much more is starting QB Caleb Williams going to want over that?

• Like Like x 1
  7. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    NIL Deals will have just as much of an impact heading into the NFL Draft just as much as it does with players opting to stay. Remember that the Regional Scouts NFL Teams have usually have invested a lot of time and effort getting to know the prospects they believe will help their respective teams. Adding in the NIL Deals by itself though is not the biggest issue at present. The Transfer Portal + those deals are.

Truth be told though, for some prospects, the NIL Deals could be a god send. Keep in mind that Kenny Pickett actually had some NIL Deals himself; three in total per this site here. Now, this is a completely different scenario in comparison to someone like a Travis Hunter; that number one recruit in the Country who famously went to Jackson State over Power 5 teams. That said though.. still something to monitor moving forward.

8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Who monitors the Programs?!

Better question is to how can one monitor them to begin with without enraging State Governments as a whole?! The NCAA really cannot have a say in the matter as NIL ≠ Salary Cap. For that matter and, if I am understanding the situation correctly, each state has specific laws regarding NIL Deals as a whole. For example, Louisiana recently had a bill proposed to repeal the previous NCAA rules forbidding athletes to earn money through such means. Other states like Alabama and Florida either have or will soon have these pre NIL Restrictions removed all together. I suppose it is all up to the states currently for I do not see the NCAA and never mind the United States Federal Government drafting up major legislation of these deals anytime soon......

... no matter how big the gap is overall in terms of spending power between colleges.....

9. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    It's rather intriguing because I've seen people have Addison getting drafted in the Top 15 next year. Now, will people doing NIL continue to pull players from other schools and only get one year from them, if there's a potential for two. I have to think that somewhere in the small print, those corporations paying NIL, are contractually getting someone like Addison for two years. Otherwise what's the point of collectively paying a player 3.5m in one year and such program not improving much on the field. Sure the market is out of control today, but this market will ultimately correct itself as kinks develop and kinks need worked out.

10. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    A player can make a huge impact in just one season. I know Addison was at Pitt for more than one season, but it was the 2021 season that could potentially raise the profile of the program. Addison was a huge part of that team's success. Pickett had other weapons to throw to and he adjusted when he lost his other top receiver, Mack, but none of them were on Addison's level.

11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    What is a NIL

I thought it was a typo

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Name, Image, and Likeness.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    It's going to get very crazy for awhile. Until then get some oversight this will balloon out of control. As NIL is individual, there was supposed talk last week from the SEC about how to all.players and put salaries based on a series of factors including position, years of service etc. Do you see a college union coming? Title 9 lawsuits out the Yazoo.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    That is going to be an interesting thing to watch. These HS kids being lured by big money. Are they signing year to year deals? What happens if they suck and the 5 star is 3rd string as a junior? The portal can be certainly a big advantage for someone established like Addison. But the development risk in the young guys is kind of like the draft. Some of these kids ate going to make big money and never do much on the field.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    That's what Saban was yacking about with TX a and m getting the best recruits. Saban is no Saint either lol. The law is so vague and the Ncaa has washed its hands of it so far. What originally was thought to be possible local business sponsoring nil deals and perhaps some national sponsorships has turned into a **** show. 'Non profit' groups loaded with alumni money pushing deals. HS kids upping the ante and demanding 1 million, no 2, wait how about 5. Saban can no longer recruit 5 star guys and have them sit on a stacked bench forc3 years behind 2 or more other 5 star guys. Recruiting and the portal can make a decent program championship quality in a hurry. The bottom tier programs in the big conferences will become like the Pirates, but for the most part it's always been that way. I think eventually big money is going to force a national conference of 20 to 30 big time schools. That's where you lose the charm of college Fb. It's always been about regional and state rivals at the core. Oh it will survive and perhaps even thrive, things evolve all the time, but for me I still love the days of a?season ending Pitt PSU blood match. The same with osu/Michigan and a host of other rivalries that make/made college football unique.

• Like Like x 1
  16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I think it will all even itself out .....eventually.

17. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    I do as well. The worst thing the ncaa can do is over react and try to muddle this stuff up. Their denial and bullying for years has lead to this. With this much money involved I see another break away attempt by the CFA, and likely it will be successful. As with the NFL other media bucks is going to eventually get involved. ESPN has a pretty tight grip, but eventually others will get involved.

• Agree Agree x 1