1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

"Nice, tight spiral"

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steel Acorn, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Next season can we please get some color commentators with some insight into the games? On multiple pass plays over the weekend, all I seemed to hear from the TV folks was "look at that nice, tight spiral". I would hope that a quarterback that has been playing since he was 12, was one of the best through high school and college, and is now being paid millions as a professional, could throw a pass with a spiral. How about some insight into pass routes, defensive schemes, pass protections, etc. Isn't that why the commentators are being paid?

2. RobVos

RobVos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I can't stand most of the commentators - -especially Sims. I found myself yelling for him to STFU! many a times. That is really bad considering it was not even my team. He is just that terrible. There must be some fanbase out there that enjoys him, but I can't understand it.

I hate the BS color guys they have now. I hate the sideline stupid non-game-type stories and such. I miss the old fashion style broadcasters.

3. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I hope Jim Nantz and Phil Simms are gone. Can't stand them. I don't mind Joe Buck and Aikman but we get them to do about one game a year whenever we play a good NFC time on a Sunday afternoon game.

4. 4EvrH8O'donnel

4EvrH8O'donnel Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    I'm still baffled every week when I hear Shannon Sharpe say anything.
    Is there really that much of a demand for Ebonics still?

5. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

I cant understand a word the man says... :shrug:

6. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    That's not Ebonics. He does not enunciate well. FYI

7. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    You obviously don't live in Cleveland, where they haven't had a quarterback who could throw a spiral in at least 20 years!! But - I agree with you. Why is it so important? It should just be automatic. Let's get on with analysis of REAL football.

8. Coke Oven

Coke Oven Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Me too, but I have a solution. I've got directv with the dvr(tivo?) option. I record all games before watching them, at least an hours worth. Then I can fast forward through all of the above described bullcrap. I also don't enjoy every play being replayed 3 times while the announcers verbally flatulate. Fast forward through that too.

The absolute worst, in my humble but correct opinion, are Aikman and Buck. I call them oceanmouth and swampmouth. They sound to me like 2 gabby old women who, once their mouths start, they are unable to stop.

9. colsteveaustin

colsteveaustin Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011

You would think? :hmmm:

10. 4EvrH8O'donnel

Nov 18, 2011

Well Gee! Thank god for Equal Opportunity Employment. When the interview ended did they just think that he had forty marbles in his mouth that day or did they say somebody out there might just understand him?

11. IggySteel

IggySteel Active Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Can we also get rid of fat__s Tony Siragusa roaming the sidelines?

12. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Tebow can't throw a tight spiral. Actually, Peyton Manning throws a really ugly ball too, it's quite often not a tight spiral, but he's pretty damn accurate regardless

13. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    For my money Dierdorf and Gumble are the guys I want to hear call the games. I miss hearing Dan talking about the Steelers imposing their wills on opposing teams mostly because we aren't doing it anymore.

14. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    He reminds me of that one cartoon character on the Bill Cosby Fat Albert show. Can't think of his name though. You know the one that says stuff like "Imb gobing to playb basebball". He puts a "B" in every word :lolol:

15. Steeldefense08

Steeldefense08 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    You better hope CBS doesnt have the guest named tebow this weekend. There are talks about having him sit with the crew for this weekend.

16. 4EvrH8O'donnel

Nov 18, 2011
    http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2012-art ... -week.html

Yep. Just when you think you had enough of him and he'd be gone.
    :(

17. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Oh god. :noose:

18. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I read the topic a little to fast... all I saw was the nice, tight and my mind went where it wanted after that. Something is obviously wrong with me!

19. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i believe thier are alot of big paid guys that don't throw nice tight spirals in this league. did you see tebows balls flying through the air? it looked like someone shot a duck in mid flight. heck half the time ben don't throw em. :cool:

20. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    he would be better than suh was this week

21. lostyank

lostyank Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2011
    Tony 'Soprano' Siragusa is one of the greatest color commentators, ever. Nothing better than a bucket of chicken wings and listening to the Goose adding his 2ยข. That SF divisional game just wouldn't have been the same without him.

22. SteelerBark

SteelerBark Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    When the Steelers play, I just keep the sound on MUTE, regardless of who is commentating. I much prefer my own comments during the game. The Sims/Nantz team carries a huge anti-Steeler bias. I wish Gus Johnson was still calling NFL games for CBS. He was nutty but tolerable.

23. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Tebow declined the offer, so we'll be spared from the Ernest Angley hour!

24. Tiny

Tiny Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    That character was Mush Mouth, I believe.

25. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Terry Hanratty used to throw a ball so bad it was refered to as a "Polish Spiral". Sometimes I swear it spiraled end over end.