1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

NHL Playoff Predictions

Discussion in 'Other Sports Talk' started by SteelCity_NB, Apr 14, 2014.

1. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Anyone have any playoff predictions?

Here's mine:

Round 1
    Colorado over Minnesota in 5
    St Louis over Chicago in 7 (What a series this is going to be!!!)
    Dallas over Anaheim in 6 (my upset special)
    Los Angeles over San Jose in 4

Boston over Detroit in 6(Another fantastic series!)
    Montreal over tampa Bay in 7 (I'm a Habs fan so I am biased, but I t hink the Bishop injury will be huge.)
    Pittsburgh over Columbus in 4
    NY Rangers over Philadelphia in 5

Round 2
    St Louis over Colarado in 4
    Los Angeles over Dallas in 5

Boston over Montreal in 7(Tough to admit, but...)
    Pittsburgh over NY Rangers in 6

Conference Finals
    St Louis over Los Angeles in 5
    Boston over Pittsburgh in 6

Finals
    St Louis over Boston in 7

Blues are playing great hockey and have the best defense in the league with great goaltending. They look like they are built for a deep long run.

2. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I won't look at the second round till after the games start and I see who is showing up nad who is trying to coast to the conference finals. My immediate picks for the ECF is Pens/Wings and WCF is Avs/Kings but that is just my initial feelings.

3. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    had to pick second round in the bracket challenge, but won't here. Also, wouldn't mind seeing multiple overtime games with the Rangers/Philly series. I think Boston/Detroit has at least 3 OTs.

4. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Well, we can see what Anaheim can do when they are clicking. Still, Dallas is no slouch. If Dallas can contain Getzlaf/Perry, I think they can upend them. I just don't think Anaheim has the depth.

5. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I realize I'm a little late in the thread, but I'll post my predictions I did for nhl.com

Boston over Detroit in 6
    Tampa over Montreal in 7 (ouch lol)
    NYR over Philly in 6
    CBJ over Pens in 6 (huge CBJ fan, but I think my boys can hang!)
    Colorado over Minny in 4
    St. Louis over Chicago in 6
    Anaheim over Dallas in 6
    SJ over LAK in 6

Boston over Tampa in 5 (I'd take em over the Habs in 5 too)
    CBJ over NYR in 7
    Colorado over STL in 7
    SJ over Anaheim in 6

Boston over CBJ in 6 :(
    SJ over Colorado in 7

Boston wins the Cup in 6 against the Sharks. 31 total goals in the series.

In the West I really like Colorado's team, and I think they can do some damage. Almost took them to the finals. However, the SJ sharks finally get over the hump this year in the post season and represent the west in the cup. Boston is just too good in the east tho. Their series with Detroit could very well be the hardest test for them before the cup.

Side note: I realize I went a little homer with the CBJ's, but I do think they have a legitimate shot to take the Pens out. The Pens' leaders (Crosby and Malkin) have always struck me as mentally weak players despite their terrific skill. If we can smack them in the mouth (yay game 2!) we can maybe rough them up enough to cast a little doubt in them. I'd LOVE to see my CBJ's square off against Rick Nash and the other former Jackets in the Conference semi's. It would be such a physical and emotional series. Loads of fun.

Anyways, go CBJ! Hopefully my predictions dont suck too bad (with the exception of the Lightning) haha

6. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    As a MTL fan I am just blown away that the Habs are up 3-0. Tampa played us so tough all year winning 3 out of 4 games. I continually tip my h at to GM Marc Bergevin for doing exactly what he said he would do the day he was hired - improve the depth of the team. It is paying off in spades right now as all 4 lines are contributing which is definitely a recipe for success in the playoffs.

Elsewhere, I a m stunned at how poor LA, and specifically Johnny Quick, are playing. I really liked LA to win that series. Guess you don't panic until you lose on home ice. Hopefully LA can turn it around.

I still don't think CBJ has what it takes to knock off Pittsburgh, but hopefully they can extend the series and make it a good one. Worst thing Pittsburgh ever did was add Jacques Martin to their coaching staff.

St Louis still looks like the team to beat though.

7. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Well I was perfect in the East in Round 1, not so much in the West, only getting 1 series right and that was a miracle!

8. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    This is why I don't predict many hockey series because it really is Jeckel and Hyde for a lot of teams. Some show up for an entire series and some show up for games, it is crazy. Either way If the Pens(my fav) make it to the conference finals either team will be a tall task. My only hope is that Boston and the Habs beat the living heck out of each other for seven games.

9. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    I can definitely see Habs-Bruins going the distance. It would have been sweet had MTL not blown that 3-1 lead on Saturday. Would have put them in the driver's seat. Great series so far.