1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

NFL used to be a great game to watch - played by real men

Discussion in 'General NFL Talk' started by LoneGranger, Nov 2, 2018.

1. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    The NFL (National Feminist League) worries about some poor baby getting hurt by a blindside tackle or block. These REAL MEN aren't buying into this touchy feely BS.

2. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Then don’t watch

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  4. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I don't have a problem with working toward making the game safer for players. We've evolved past the gladiator days hopefully seeing someone killed for our enjoyment.

The problem is, you can only protect people so far when you have some of the world's greatest athletes running into each other at full speed.

The laws of physics applies. Can never make a violent game in nature perfectly safe.

They've gone too far on some aspects. Decreasing the kickoff returns? = lame. Took away a huge part of the game.

Fining someone 20 grand for having their momentum taking into the QB = lame. It's clear we can not compare new QBs to the old, as there are clearly different standards to how tough someone had to be to be QB in this league.

I've always been a defensive guy. It has taken away enjoyment from the game for me.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    I'll take this post as a tacit admission that NFL is a league for players wearing dresses.

6. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    If that helps you sleep at night. Although, you should really think about taking it at face value. You don’t like the game so don’t watch. Watch and *****/moan about it or don’t watch and be happy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    You'd be carried out on a stretcher if you played just one snap.

8. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Don't confuse raw strength with toughness. Women are at least as tough as men.

9. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Id love to see a defensive Renaissance... Don't believe it's coming anytime soon. I'm all for player safety through technological/medical advancements etc... But there is only so much you can do as it is a physical sport even in the attempt to 80/20 slant it towards the offense.

It's getting to the point rapidly that you cannot have a feared D. You can have a mostly reputable D and statistically speaking, a solid D but you'll still have a D that is outclassed by stellar O's thanks to league approved crippling.

Guys are already pulling up when they have a bead on a QB and saying they didn't want to get fined in their post game interviews. Hell TJ pulled up and still got fined for blowing Ryan's leg hair out of place. Only so much a defender can do but they can still be boomed on by offensive players it's terrible in my opinion and the sport is getting pretty watered down.

The league has become so flag happy that the players are turning into actors if not outright flopping and bitching and screaming to the extent that flags are flying 10-15 seconds after the play... And those flags are getting scarily close to becoming the norm and that is in my opinion playing on human emotion from the refs which should not be the case. Too many non calls vs too many calls vs changed calls that were good calls vs changed calls that were bad calls vs HQ calls that nobody agrees with vs HQ calls that aren't made etc...

Hahahahaha games watered down, one sided, and looking more like the NBA but it ain't lost me yet

GO STEELERS!!!

10. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    It is a shame, ruining a beautiful game. Football is a violent game played by violent
    people. The players know what they are signing up for on that dotted line.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    They know what they're signing up for. But if in 10-20 yrs they have problems or become crippled they can still sue the billionaire owner and win and win big. So billionaire owner and his lawyers fully endorse rules changes intended to minimize unanticipated transfer of their wealth to former employees.

This will continue until changing the game adversity affects revenue. It's not clear that's happening. If people want to complain that game is being ruined, that's fine - as long as they still watch and spend.

12. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Yes I agree and owners have tried to help with additional benefits. All I was getting at though, is players understand the circumstances when
    signing on that dotted line.

13. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    You can sign all the waivers in the world, it doesn't stop lawsuits. Of course the owners are going to protect themselves by trying to institute what is perceived to be rules that make the game safer for players. At the same time, the player try to protect themselves by making as much money as possible during their short career. Everyone knows the game, but it still needs to be played, both on the field and off the field. The owners don't necessarily want to see some of the changes that have been implemented, but lawsuits have left them with no choice