1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

NFL to Vote on Thursday Night Flex Games next week.

Discussion in 'General NFL Talk' started by Brice, Mar 25, 2023.

1. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    NFL owners considering flex scheduling for Thursday Night Football (msn.com)

I am assuming this is going to pass as the biggest losers will be the Fans.

Fans like me who travel far distances to see their teams live and in person. I am online hours after the official schedule is released booking hotel reservations at all the possible games I might attend. Then when I get it narrowed down to the games I am going to attend with friends and family, we all start buying Airline tickets months in advance to get the best prices. And finally, I buy the actual game tickets a few weeks before the game. I take Fri and Monday off work, Fly in on Friday and back home on Monday. I try to go to at least a couple of games every year. I am not sure how much it would cost me if a Sunday game was flexed to Thursday a week before the game.

The one good thing about the NFL for me, it is a quick weekend guys trip out of town with different family members. And this Flex game possibility could ruin those family weekend trips.

Now for the "Scripted NFL" people out there; yeah this would probably be seen as a way for the Commissioner's office to put their thumb on the scale in determining victory for their preferred Home Thursday night Teams.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 3
  2. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I personally would do away with Thursday night games, they usually stink anyways.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    This is a terrible proposal for fans like Brice said. How many fans will get effed over after booking non-refundable air travel or be left scrambling for lodging? It’s clear that it’s all about TV these days, and the value to the fans of “being there” isn’t really a concern for the NFL.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I'm old. NFL is for 1 or 4 PM Sunday. I admit as a young man I was thrilled for MNF but the time wore on me and I hated when the Steelers were MNF but sure enjoyed our record in those games.

As for flexing, I find it unfair to fans who plan their trip around a 1:00 game and find it's changed to 8:30 at night.

• Like Like x 1
  5. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Are they still doing the Amazon streaming BS for Thursday nights? I literally didn't watch a single TNF game last season because f*** Bezos and f*** the NFL for selling out requiring the streaming crap from amazon.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I agree, and disagree. Keep Thursday night games.....Just don't have the Steelers play in them.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I only watched one.

• Like Like x 1
  8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Flexing really screws the people who actually attend the game even those who live nearby although not nearly as bad

• Like Like x 2
  9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Just the one the Steelers attended :thumbs_up:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Agreed, but it sure does suck. I live 3.5 hours away, a Sunday 1 PM start I could make and return on the same day,, though would likely come on town Saturday and make it a weekend destination. Even a 4 PM start, though late getting home you can still make work. Thurs would kill 1.5 to 2 days of work, and for the quality of the game just is not worth it to me.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    LOL... I wonder if this could be a sneaky way to get Detroit and Dallas out of their Thanksgiving Thursday game? :hehehe:

Last edited: Mar 26, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    No those are day games

As you stated this is for Thursday night

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    The NFL doesn't care about you!
    It's all about La$ Vega$, FF and TV ratings.

I'm planning on taking my son to Vegas this year to see the Steelers play the Raiders. There's a good chance that could be a SNF or MNF game. I'm hoping it would be a Sunday 4:30 PM EST start but am not holding my breath. If they change it to TNF it would screw up my whole plan completely. If they changed it a week or two before then we might not even be able to attend.

They should just do away with TNF altogether. It's never really worked well anyways.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah, seems Thursday games are not kind on players bodies, and just screw up the natural flow of the week. One team always has time to actually put in a game plan and the other one just throws generic crap out there. Injury reports are garbage and some guys that normally would play end up sitting out anyway due to short recovery time.

Just scrap them already. Why would you entertain flexing teams to a mid week game? Asinine!

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. jrompola

jrompola Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Thurs games blow. Even more if they start flexing TNF or MNF it will screw up many travel plans, but who cares about the actual fans. The TV $$$ all that matters.

• Like Like x 1
  16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I would say odds are it will be a Sunday 4:30 (eastern time)

It’s west so it won’t be 1:00

Based on last years record it won’t initially be Sunday night

TNF is a possibility

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Some of y’all seem to have forgotten the nfl is a business

18. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I can't believe it passed. Not sure what happens if your Stadium is not available Thursday, or not available on Sunday if they try to move the teams out of a Thursday night game? But, then again, I am not reading anywhere that says the originally scheduled game will be moved back to Sunday or by that time Saturday games may also be a possibility.

Flexible Thursday games will begin in weeks 13 - 17. Two of these games currently scheduled will be changed this year.

in the end, I wonder how much more Amazon had to pay for this?

'Thursday Night Football' flex rules, explained: How NFL's potential TNF schedule changes will work in 2023 | Sporting News
    Which 'Thursday Night Football' games can be flexed?
    According to the NFL's rule, only the games during Week 13-17 will be eligible to be flexed onto Thursday nights. Here are the games that will apply to this season:

Week Matchup
    13 Seahawks vs. Cowboys
    14 Patriots vs. Steelers
    15 Chargers vs. Raiders
    16 Saints vs. Rams
    17 Jets vs. Browns

'Thursday Night Football' flex rules
    The league must inform the teams involved no later than 28 days in advance of the event. In addition, any team flexed into the Thursday night game cannot exceed the seven primetime game limit as established previously by the NFL.

Teams can only be flexed to Thursday once during the season and cannot play two on the road, but also cannot exceed more than two Thursday games during the season.

The rule has outlined that flexible scheduling can only be applied to 'Thursday Night Football' twice during the season, meaning the league and its partners cannot decide to completely alter the Weeks 13-17 schedule.

According to the proposal, this is considered to be a one-season trial that only applies to 2023. However, it will apply to 2024 instead if it goes unused this season.

Last edited: May 23, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    And what the hell is this Amazon NFL package thing? I have not heard anything about Amazon rolling out an extra subscription upgrade to be able to watch Thursday night games? Amazon Prime no longer includes Amazon Music, or Amazon Audible titles; is an Amazon NFL package next?

Flex scheduling coming to Amazon's Thursday NFL package (nypost.com)

upload_2023-5-23_0-45-54.png

20. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Was going to buy Steelers/Packers tickets but was worried that it could get moved to Thursday. But according to the rules, that can't happen right?

21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Seems like it. Unless they change the rules.

22. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    That is listed as Week 10, so you should be good.

As far as messing with the Steelers schedule, The Steelers are already scheduled for 2 Thursday night games, so in order to mess with their schedule they would have to cancel the Thursday Night game against the Patriots to add another Thursday game in weeks 13 - 17.

• Like Like x 1
  23. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. I will always be hesitant to buy certain tickets for fear the game gets moved to a different day. I don't live in the US, so it takes some effort and planning to attend games.

At least I know i'm good for the Packers game. Hoping to make a whole weekend out of it

• Like Like x 2
  24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Have fun, and bring a win.

25. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I just thought of this, but why do they have to flex out of the Thursday night game that is already scheduled?

At least the fans and players who were preparing for the Thursday night game would not be shafted by the move to Sunday.

We have had multiple night games before.