1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

NFL reports on Harrison's hit

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Wreck, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Wreck

Wreck Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    NFL reports on Harrison's hit

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... line_stack

Steelers LB Harrison dismisses any punishment for McCoy hit

NFL.com Wire Reports
    Published: Dec. 12, 2011 at 02:53 p.m.
    Updated: Dec. 12, 2011 at 04:02 p.m.
    Liked: 0 | Comments: 326

Email
    Print

Read
    Discuss

Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker James Harrison doesn't believe the NFL should fine -- much less suspend -- him for his helmet-to-helmet hit on Cleveland quarterback Colt McCoy in last week's victory over the Browns.

"I don't think it's suspension-worthy," Harrison said Monday, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "I don't think it's worthy of anything, but that's just my own personal thoughts."

Harrison said he hasn't heard from the NFL and doesn't expect to do so, although a league source told NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora that the possibility of a suspension will be discussed. The 2008 NFL Defensive Player of the Year insists he did nothing wrong on the play.

McCoy was scrambling late in the fourth quarter last Thursday night when he tucked the ball and tried to run. Harrison raced in for the tackle, but McCoy pulled up at the last second and flipped a pass to running back Montario Hardesty.

Harrison knocked McCoy to the ground after the pass was away and was called for roughing the passer. Harrison said he would have liked to avoid the penalty but doesn't believe he should be penalized by the league.

"They didn't even call helmet-to-helmet; they called roughing the passer," Harrison told the Post-Gazette. "He took off running with it and, at the last second, he like chuck-and-ducked.

Relive every game this season online and on-demand with enhanced viewing features. Get NFL Game Rewind.

"He tucked the ball and made like he was about to run. So I was going to tackle him."

The NFL said Harrison's hit was illegal because he violated a rule "that prohibits defensive players from using their helmet against a passer who is in a defenseless posture, including by "forcibly hitting the passer's head or neck area with the helmet or facemask."

Harrison was fined $100,000 last season for several illegal hits, but he hasn't been fined yet this season.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

2. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Doesnt know what he did? :scratch:

He tucked his head....

3. Steeldefense08

Steeldefense08 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    McCoy was scrambling and got rid,of the ball cause he got scared.

4. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    i think mccoy turned into a RB after he took at least 4-5 steps so there shouldnt be much punishment

5. Still Exiled

Still Exiled Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The fact that the league has already issued a statement explaining why the hit was illegal seems to me to be setting the table for Harrison's suspension. My guess is one game only, but I won't be surprised at two.

No one will convince me that Harrison's comments about Goodell last spring aren't a factor in the decision. Goodell is a petty, vindictive little man who has been waiting for the chance to get even with Harrison, since he could take no action during the lockout. To me, suspensions should be reserved for egregious conduct -- like Suh's -- and not borderline hits. What bothers me is that Goodell is affecting the outcome of critical games -- just as he did last year when he suspended Ben for the fourth game to keep him out against the Ravens.

Let's hope Woodley can go, because we will need a pass rush against the 49ers.

6. cory_86

cory_86 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    hate to break it to you, but that's not the case with the current rules

"When a passer is outside the pocket area as in the case of Cleveland quarterback Colt McCoy last night," the league explained, "he is still afforded the protection of Rule 12, Section 2, Article 13 (3), which prohibits defensive players from using their helmet against a passer who is in a defenseless posture, including by "forcibly hitting the passer's head or neck area with the helmet or facemask, regardless of whether the defensive player also uses his arms to tackle the passer by encircling or grasping him".

7. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I'm guessing that a QB isn't considered a runner until he passes the LOS.