1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

NFL Overtime rules

Discussion in 'General NFL Talk' started by BobbyBiz, Feb 6, 2017.

1. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I realize that I'm in the minority here, but I hope SB LI causes the league to take a long hard look at "sudden death" OT. I never liked it and now a SB was pretty much decided by a coin flip.

IMO there is no reason, especially in the Super Bowl, why each team shouldn't get one possession in OT.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    It wasn't decided by a coin flip. It was decided by a lack of defensive effort on the part of the Falcons.

3. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    The Falcons fate was sealed when the Pats won the toss. Brady had just led the Pats on a fast and furious 91 yard drive leaving less than a minute in regulation. The Falcons O had a 3 and out because of time, not because of ineptitude and a tired and beleaguered Falcons D had to go right back out on the field again with very little rest. They were doomed when they lost the toss. After that, the only chance the Falcons had would be an attempt to try to tie the Pats by getting the ball back....but inexplicably that's not how the NFL rules work. So yes, IMO that game was ultimately decided by a coin flip.

Imagine if MLB changed their rules for a tie after 9 innings to "sudden death." First score wins, and the first batter on the first pitch in the top of the 10th hits a homerun and game over without the home team getting an at bat in the bottom of the 10th. How stupid and ridiculous would that be, because that is essentially the equivalent to the NFL's OT rules.

4. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I'm a defensive guy and only favor sudden death and whoever gets the ball should be stopped. The offense is paid to score and the defense is paid to stop them from doing so. I never have sympathy for teams that lose via sudden death. Stop the other team. It's really that simple.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. aces4me

aces4me Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Hell they didn't even have to pitch a shutout. Force a field goal and they get a chance to touch the ball.

6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I didn't like when a FG could decide the outcome because that was really unfair IMO but now a TD can only end it immediately.

I dont really have a problem with that. They should get a little breather though, Bobbys got a point about that.

7. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I, too, could see that ending an OT on a first possession FG was unfair. Offenses can easily move the ball w 30 yd on a drive and the leagues averages a 60% success rate on 50+ yd FGs.
    But asking a D to keep the other side out of the EZ isn't too much to ask.

But honestly, if ATL got the ball back after NE's OT TD, I don't see them getting 6. They were numb and shocked.

8. SteelersWorld

SteelersWorld Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I will never agree with sudden death - not even the way it is now. Play a full quarter. Most points wins. If the full quarter is tied in the regular season - game is tie; in the playoff games and SB, start another quarter then have sudden death - first points win.

Goodell should love it - more commercials!