1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

NFL Network Reporter: Corner or Safety in R1

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Steel_Elvis, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Aditee Kinkabwala reported from the Steelers facility that she was told that we will take the best available corner or safety in the 1st. Also told that Colbert loves Peppers, but doesn't think we have a chance of getting him. Just FWIW.

2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

My No.1 guy possibly confirmed then. Obi is a dream matchup for the Steelers. Fits Tomlin's ideology of HWS to the "T".

Take that WalterFootball! :lolol:

3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Thanks for the update Steel! Much appreciated! :smiley1:

4. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    She must have been talking to Carnell Lake :lolol:

Seriously though, I can see those two positions being in play. IF true, they must be putting a lot of faith in Rivers being there in the 2nd. Not a strategy or pick I would subscribe to, but they would know better

5. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    I tend to think that we, as fans, over-value players at positions of our need. Even then, we have the ammo to trade up in the second if we don't think that our pick will be there.

6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Aditi has been known to have wrong info when it comes to the Steelers, I wouldn't put too much stock in her report. The Steelers usually are tight lipped when it comes to stuff like this.

7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    This. She doesn't know **** about what position they will be selecting.

After she flat out lied about AB, I put no stock into anything she says. She seems to buy into fake news. Whatever gets you attention, I guess.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    That's why I said FWIW ;) I personally think edge rusher is very much in play as well. ILB could be in play if the coaches really want to keep both LBs on the field in passing situations, but I'm not a fan of that idea.

• Like Like x 1
  9. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    they also said ben was in lobbying MT for more help. i think anything is in play. i'd hate the peppers pick. much better safety picks that can play the ball. i hope rivers isn't the OLB pick either. so we probably will pick peppers and rivers. :facepalm: i would be so pissed at KC. :smiley1::cool:

10. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    It will be BPA amongst S, CB and OLB.

I doubt the steelers will eliminate the need at OLB especially if the top 4 safeties are gone and if 5 or 6 CBs go before #30.

I would rather take a 1st round OLB then reach for a 2nd round CB.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

that goes at any position. do we settle for the 5th or 6th ranked OLB or corner when there is a deeper pool of them than there would be with safety down the line. they may just than go WR or TE if the first 4-5 or 6 top defensive guys at each position are gone. doubtful but thats what it boils down to.:cool:

12. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I don't like Jabrill Peppers as a good fit for the Steelers in the 1st. He isn't good in man coverage. I like Obi Melifonwu
    or Marcus Maye better.

13. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Aditi also claimed Ben was lobbying for more help, if Bryant is reinstated and Green, Coates stay healthy that's more than enough help for Ben.

14. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    If Justin Hunter can be turned around, add him to the list, along with Sammie Coates hand healing. About all he can wish for is a receiving tight end.

15. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Well I don't think anyone in the Steeler organization is gonna tell anyone anything. However if CB or S is the position we go I would love it, the more I look at this draft and all the prospects the more I think round 2-3 we are fine with a OLB. I am a little worried that the talent level at CB drops off more than the talent level at OLB. JMO

I think all 3 positions CB-S-OLB are deep but I just feel CB always goes fast and the talent level will be a big drop off as appose to OLB.

16. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    She says that the reasoning for this is to play more man. Interesting. Personally, I don't think a S helps you play man any more than what we have already. Do I feel we need another S? Maybe, but the biggest hole on this team is OLB....period.

17. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I was of the mind that our #1 need was clearly OLB. However I am now thinking that an additional corner or safety who can play man or zone in the slot would be very valuable for our pass defense as well. I watched some tape of Budda Baker last night and this AM, and he is a great hybrid safety/slot corner. Very smart, instinctive and fast-reacting defender. I think he would be a big help. Chidobe Awuzie as well, but I like Baker a lot better on film.

I am also noodling over Kpassagnon's potential as an edge rusher. His film in passing situations (3rd and long, trailing in the 2nd half, etc) is very intriguing, and his H/W/S is freakish. He would not be an OLB in our base defense, but has big-time potential as an edge rusher in sub packages going against the left tackle. Take a look at his FCS playoff games on draftbreakdown.com. He dominated the same way Hargrave did his last year in college at the FCS level, but outside instead of inside.

18. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I think Colbert's comments on Peppers is to feed the teams who are picking behind of us something to think about. Maybe they think we would take him if available and try to trade up. End result is letting another guy higher on their board fall to us.

19. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Ben has come out and denied Aditi's claim that he lobbied Tomlin for a TE in the draft.

20. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Naturally. But even if she didn't say it, I still didn't believe it.

Ben lobbying for more weapons has been going around since his first season. In fact, I'm pretty sure he was lobbying for more weapons when he was in peewee.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Hunter will look good with Ben throwing to him.. As long as Ben gets his killer focus going. Not the... no matter how i throw it we will catch it attitude.