1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

NFL Network Believes Steelers Are Super Bowl Contenders

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelersFan369, May 20, 2023.

1. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    When we lost to the Chiefs in the playoffs a couple of years ago, the Chiefs’ first 5 possessions were: punt, punt, interception, punt, fumble (returned for a TD and Steelers 7-0 lead). The Chiefs then scored 3 TDs before halftime while we puttered away the half on offense.

Our offense failed to possess the ball and score points. Our offensive possessions during the 1st half were 3 and out, 3 and out, 3 and out, 5 and out (8 yards), 6 and out (20 yards), 3 and out, 3 and out, 1 and out (half). Anything less than a disgusting offensive performance by us makes that a much better game. The last 3 possessions followed Chiefs TDs.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Kenny himself was not playing lights out at any point last year. I hope it was a dumbed down offense as opposed due to the poor play of the O-Line. However, I do have to give the O-Line some credit they did come together as the season went on. I do agree Matt Canada needs to be on a short leash.

3. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Of course,I never said that a offense who make 3 and out after 3 and out is a good thing...It was just awful,like the entire 2021 season on offense in the first 3 quarter in each game and the first half of the season in 2022.The ball control is a good thing but you also need some big play with that at some point....This is the next step for this offense

Last edited: May 29, 2023
  4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=4742...lMjh2aWElMjBTaGFycCUyMEZvb3RiYWxsJTI5Lg&ntb=1

tells a lot here. :cool:

5. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I agree with all of this. I’m thinking of our win vs the Ravens last year. The Steelers had drives of 15, 13, 12, 11 and 11 plays, and held the Ravens to 8 total possessions in the whole game. The scoring was a problem, but the long drives are a great step forward from what we saw in 2021.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    To be fair, the real difference was a flukish fumble return for a touchdown and a piss-poor officiating call that robbed the Eagles of one last chance to rally.

7. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Opponents also don't have much of a margin for error in games like that. It goes both ways.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That is why oversimplistic analysis doesn't work. You have to look at why the time of possession leans a certain way. Later in the season, the Steelers were controlling the time of possession because the offense was eating up the clock with long drives. That game against the Bills, the time of possession went that way because the Bills were able to score so quickly. Also, that game was over at halftime, so the statistics are going to be funky.

9. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

Will these second year QBS take a leap in 2023?

10. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

This.

The NFL is the ultimate team sport for a very valid reason. The days of defensive stalwarts like the 1985 Bears or whatever the hell team of the 70s Steelers from 1974-1979 are not coming back... ever. For that matter, the NFL saw, is seeing to and will see to it that the Offense sells tickets. However, Defense still wins Championships; Chris Jones' performance in both the AFC Championship Game and the Super Bowl being major points.

Pittsburgh's Offense wasn't doing much even when entering Kansas City. However, after doing.... literally little to nothing for a while, the Defense sadly ran out of steam. Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs Offense did his thing and the Chiefs would go on to win. Hell, even if the Steelers score on at least two TDs before the the half, who is to say that game may not have a different outcome?! :eek: :hmm:

11. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Here are my thoughts!! :)

I am very bullish on both Pickett and Ridder. Pickett will not only be improved heading into Year Two but will feature a much more powerful and stronger Offensive Line in front of him this time around; some new weapons to play with along with a key returning one in CAIII in my opinion. My major concern is not Pickett so much as it is Canada. Can he take the next step?! Time will tell.

As for Ridder, much like Kenny. Atlanta's Offensive Line is not to be slept on and still has some rock solid pieces. Bijan seems like a wasted pick given how Tyler Allgeier played last season but Bijan is more of an Offensive Personnel Weapon as opposed to a standard three down back; his experience in a slot role at Texas being a major overlooked factor here. Add the likes of Pitts, London and Jonnu Smith?! It is all up to Ridder to make it work.

Howell will be fun to watch with Eric Bieniemy and the Commanders Offense isn't nearly as devoid of weapons as others make it out to be... though the rest of the team is a major question mark. I am more than convinced that the Commanders will not win the NFC East but I can say that they can shock some people with some upsets for certain if Eric can maximize both Howell and the Offense. This all said, Howell is a major toss up.

Brock Purdy I have little to nothing to add as Kyle Shanahan has shown me any QB can work in his system. However, Kyle has also shown me that few QBs actually play all 17 games as well. Purdy's biggest question is going to be how long can he hold up heading into year two?!

Malik Willis... sorry @Blast Furnace but man oh man.... Malik is not just fighting for a Roster Spot... dude is fighting for his life. Even if the NFL Owners have approved the usage of a third emergency QB (teams like Pittsburgh have been doing this since 2000 but I digress), I would imagine that, should Malik fail to showcase any improvement, Mike Vrabel is going to be searching like hell during the final cuts of preseason for a more suitable 3rd QB.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Don’t count out Howell. I can see him being a quality starting QB in the right system.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. waywardson

waywardson Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2022
    I think the Dfense will be fine but, you gotta score pts and if dip**** is calling the same 6 plays this year as last, aint happnin! I only hope Cana-duh has had a chance to add a few more plays to playbook to keep these hotshot recievers happy or Pickens will b grovelling fo sho!

14. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I do too. In a game against the Cowboys late in the year when the Girls still were fighting for the NFC East title, Howell out played Dak Prescott by a mile and the "Redskins" won easily.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    Prescott had maybe the worst game of his career in that game so it was not hard to out played him in this game!

16. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    NFL Network is looking for Clicks. Its June. By the start of Training Camp they will have probably projected every NFL team to be Super Bowl bound. They have to appease all the fan bases.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. SteelersFan369

SteelersFan369 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2022

I'm drinking with a fire hose :lolol:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  18. pczach

pczach Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2023

[​IMG]

LOL!!!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Reminds me of a comment about a golf ball and a garden hose

20. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    And with a supposed HOF QB LOL

21. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    A player is rarely good in his final season, even if he is a future HOF

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Never could carry a team on his back.Should have retired 5 years before he finally did.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  23. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    Please....He was a top 5 caliber QB for most of his first 15 seasons.This is hard to do

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1