1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

NFL May Ban Hip Drop Tackle

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelresolve, Nov 23, 2023.

1. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    Yeah I know, but even before all the changes in the last few years, what was being taught was separate the man from the ball and I can remember countless times where a single guy tried that vs ensuring the tackle and the guy bounced off of him or avoided it and the dude ran another 5,10, 15 yards. The old days, the initial guy wrapped up and the second or third guy was looking to separate ball from the man. If the defense cant leave their feet to make a tackle the offense should equally not be allowed to hurdle as an example. Clearly the roughing the passer penalties have become a joke. The equilibrium has clearly been altered so bad that the pendulum has shifted 100% to the offense. There should be no penalty on the defense if the offensive player lowers their helmet to initiate contact. Tomlin was right the 2008 Steelers defense accelerated the change to the game. Clark and Harrison were racking up bodies and the NFL said nope no more. Bud Dupree's hit on the Miami QB was the most violent "Clean" hit I've ever heard in my lifetime and the NFL was like nope (I remember Phil Simms saying fine/suspension etc for a clean hit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

Brady nails it. Of course Schreleth took the low hanging fruit but doesn’t change what Brady is saying here.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Garrett lost his mind in the heat of the moment and was suspended. I have never seen him do anything else that could be considered dirty. By your logic, James Harrison and Hines Ward would have been thrown out of the league. Maybe Jaylen Warren, too, because he keeps getting fined for putting his head down as he makes contact.

4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Mmmmmm.....although I agree with You on most things.....what He did was use a weapon....which not in any rule by the NFL has ever been legal, and in the street could have gotten him years in prison. What Ward, and Harrison had done was at least legal at one time in the NFL.....what mister race baiter did .....never was. Had He done that in a different climate than what was going on in the NFL then....it could have been way more serious.

5. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Have you ever played?

6. AtlSteel

AtlSteel Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2021
    Of course. And I've seen a lot of tackles like that where you do your best just to hang on and try to bring the guy down.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    With girls

Hot sweaty………

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Just to put that in perspective

Most murders are in the heat of the moment and never committed again

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    I don't think it's a dirty play either. I don't think players go out to intentionally hurt a player when they do that tackle, but the image of what kind of tackle was being referred to in the post immediately popped into my head, because every time I see it I think how dangerous it is injury wise

Last edited: Nov 25, 2023
  10. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Yep, it's always about the money. Even when it isn't, it is.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    There's a way to execute the hip drop tackle without the defender landing on the offensive player's legs.

1. Leave the hip drop tackle in.
    2. Create legislation that dictates the legal execution of the hip drop tackle: defender must position his body adjacent to the offense player so as to land on the turf without falling onto the back of the offensive players legs.
    3. Have officiating crews hand out heavy penalties when the hip drop is used in a non-sanctioned way (defender lands on back of offensive players legs). Consider even making this a technical foul that counts toward ejection from the game.

This could represent one potential compromise.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    There's no comparison between what Myles Garrett did versus anything other players have done, imo.

13. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    We all have hated him due to the fact we couldn't beat him. What he says here is solid truth.

Hopefully i'm dead before it comes to this:

[​IMG]

Although the unwatchable Joke Bowl has already started :facepalm:

14. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Fast forward 20 years… the NFL is once embroiled in a New England Patriots scandal, this time “flag gate” where the Pats are caught using industrial strength Velcro to make their flags harder to pull off.

Or is that 10 years away?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    If revenue started to make its way out of the NFL because fans grew tired of watching flag football you can be sure they would make the change back to the way it was in order to make the required money they needed.

16. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Hard hitting is being bred out of the sport at the youth level, the most effective way. The youth are the players and paying fans of the future, that's the focus.

17. james weyandt

james weyandt Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2021
    we need robot football players then I wonder how many people would complain-- if a bolt or screw came loose.:shrug:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. pczach

pczach Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2023

[​IMG]

19. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    And fans call the plays. I see the future :)

20. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    That is a dirty play, but to each his own.it is a technique players no how
    To do this especially dirty players.