1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

NFL May Ban Hip Drop Tackle

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelresolve, Nov 23, 2023.

1. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You are 100% correct. Doesn't mean I gotta like it though.

• Like Like x 1
  2. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I don't like it either.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    After Andrews got hurt with that tackle people were complaining about it and saying the hip drop tackle needs to be banned. I was thinking here we go, how ridiculous, is hip tackle even a thing, is it something that’s taught? Whats left for defenders to do, it’s beyond absurd now.

And here we are, it’s gaining traction :facepalm:

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    It's a thing, but you are right. Defenders need to be able to drag ball carriers to the ground or they pretty much have nothing left.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    You have to wonder how much traction is it getting because talking heads, former players and now league reps are calling the defensive player dirty due to the injuries. When like you guys are saying it is at the point where they have made it nearly impossible to tackle a player especially near the sideline. You go to high and the you risk the 15 for hitting them out of bounds. You have basically have to do the dead drop of your weight to try and pull them down and hope you don't land on thier ankles and then get labeled a dirty player. It's going to be a long conversation to find a happy medium.

One thing I noticed in the games this week were running QB'S that were getting hit and hit solidly and whatever former ref they had to throw to for a quick explanation would talk about at what point the QB became a runner and could be handled as such but the minute they go back to attempt to pass the QB rules apply again. How can you possibly expect a defender to know these things? Remember Cam knocking Mahomes to the ground on the sideline and the controversy that caused. If he throws a pump fake in there he is protected but still basically a runner but can't touch him. This are areas where everyone involved should be meeting throughout the off season to gain clarity on how to regulate the game.

• Like Like x 1
  6. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    What a crazy notion, dirty players taking advantage of a dirty tactic.
    [​IMG]

7. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Now you're getting the picture.

8. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    In a few yrs we may be watching flag football

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I remember the play but regardless you basically have to give up tackling anyone that has gotten past you. It’s absurd.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I'd rather they ban the dirty players. I'll never understand how Myles Garrett is still in the league, and praised.
    I have less interest in the NFL every season, they're not looking to entertain geezers like me anymore.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    There are enough dirty players in the NFL that would stoop this low, they all know this technique and will use to their advantage. Yea I will take Lev Bell out no problem. Just my opinion. Logan Wilson did it twice against Ravens.
    and he tries to play innocent. LOL If I was a Steeler I would have my head on swivel when he is around.

12. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    The easiest solution is the league bans the Bengals. Problem solved.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    They also said it only happens 1 or 2 times per game, so when it’s banned has anything really changed.

14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes, the quality of play will degrade even further.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Why do you think Geno Smith went after the guy a couple weeks ago?
    Because he knows it is a dirty football play, and the guy was trying to hurt him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. AtlSteel

AtlSteel Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2021
    I still don't see how that's dirty.

17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Given the player involved you can’t rule out he was trying to hurt Bell but in general I agree with you.

At this rate you will have to gently lay them down on a pillow to be legal.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Rhetorical question. What happens when there are a couple of Lisfranc injuries in a season because of shoestring tackles? Too many of these rule changes are overly punitive to defenses. Meantime, chop blocks are rarely called.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Or could go up be preventing unnecessary injury to good players.

20. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Burfict did it, that's how.

;+)

21. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Offense sells.

22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes, the quality of play has really risen with all these “safety” rules.

23. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    That guy was a total scumbag and did that intentionally to hurt him. I think he even admitted as such at some point. He could have just continued to ride him out of bounds. He knew what he was doing. It's like players coming in and trying to make the big hit vs just wrapping up. Even before some of these tackle penalties you had players just trying to hit the guy as hard as they could vs the higher percentage wrap up. Gotta get on "Jacked Up" highlight vs textbook wrap up tackle. The fundamentals need to be taught but then again they are even allowed to practice full contact anymore.

24. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    You have to be joking, he grabs him by the shoulder and could just drive him out of bounds (yes he gets few more yards) but he knows just like a horse collar that you if pull a guy backwards with your 260lbs of weight suddenly the knees are gonna take the brunt. Furthermore, pin your weight on the back of the legs and you guarantee a knee or ankle injury. Its like saying well the guy got buy me so I should be able to grab is face-mask and yank it backwards. Another example in basketball, everyone knows the unwritten rule, if you grab a guys jersey from behind because he's smoking you down the court you can get punched in the face because that's how you can cause a hammy injury. We were taught that in junior high, don't do it. Every sport has the no-no's and football players know that tackle/takedown is bs!!!

25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Yes they should wrap up, but big hits not only dislodge the ball , but take a little from the offensive players soul...LoL....also it's not an easy thing to just wrap up a guy that because the rules are different for the offense....can dip his head into you....causing you to go helmet to helmet, and We know who will get the flag for that.
    Really just seriously look at what a offensive player can do legally on the field, and a D player cannot.
    So the D keeps trying to come up with ways to stay ahead, and the league keeps taking them away. I guess it's not enough that the offense knows the play, and where they are going....they must have every other bit of help also.