1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

NFL May Ban Hip Drop Tackle

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelresolve, Nov 23, 2023.

1. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    There are several known dirty players that use this technique

2. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Yeah I know, they're called the bengals.
    Among others.

• Like Like x 2
  3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    For every move there is a counter move.. should I load up all the videos of RBs , TEs, and Wrs ducking their heads , and using them like battering rams....yet if a D player does the same its flag. This type of tactic of tackling has come about because they keep taking away every other form of tackling....the D has to do something. If they didn't make everything so one-sided...., and take all the other forms of tackling away...this form of tackling may never have come around.

4. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    Your opinion Cupcake.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Keeping your politics to yourself is not an opinion. It’s a board rule.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    The game is evolving like it or not. The NFL powers that be are constantly trying to figure out a balance for max profit. It's no secret.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    It's only a one-sided evolution ....so casual fans will watch. Otherwise for one example: every time a player went helmet to helmet it would be called, and not just when the D does it.

8. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    I think Warrens pocketbook would rather they throw the flag on the field and leave his money alone. I wonder if the fines are as inconsistent as the flags.

• Like Like x 1
  9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    IMO....if it's not flagged....it shouldn't be a fine 9 out of ten times. It's almost like they are saying....it's OK during the game, but incase someone bi+<hes about consistency.....here take this fine.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Someone has had way too much to drink.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  11. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I don’t think a flag for a foul means no fine does it?

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. METALMAN_68

Jan 4, 2022
    Correct. It just seems to be inconsistent when in real time they don't throw a flag, yet they can comb over every play in slow-mo to deliver fines. Seems like a disconnect between the league office and the officiating crews.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. METALMAN_68

Jan 4, 2022
    Your question does bring up an interesting point though. Do all unnecessary roughness penalties come with fines automatically?

• Like Like x 1
  14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Hmmm:hmm:
    Dang good Question. I know I don't know the answer. :shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  15. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I’d doubt it. Sometimes the flag should never have been thrown.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Then casual fans are the future. Whatever is most profitable is the trend they'll follow. Guys like us won't be here forever. Why do you think the NFL is so focused on Taylor Swift. She brings young fans in numbers the NFL couldn't dream of without her.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    For those of us old enough to remember it’s like professional wrestling with Bruno Sanmartino vs current WWE fake wrestling comedy acts and showmanship

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Yes and WWE is probably more popular (profitable) than ever, for ownership.

The Seattle Seahawks uniforms tonight aren't designed for my demographic.

19. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I just learned that Artie Burns is still in the league.

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Those uniforms make me want to barf

When I used to ski with friends I had a thermal shirt underneath similar color

At lunch time at the mid mountain restaurant I would stand on a picnic table and take off my coat and sweater so my friends on the mountain would know where we were having lunch

Then I was cordially invited to put my sweater back on

Last edited: Nov 23, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Yes to WWE and profit

22. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    Careful Snowflake.

23. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    I never voiced my politics. I was merely pointing out the Politics of the NFL and how they do come into play on the subject of rule changes when it applies to injuries etc.

24. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    SMH

25. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Certain techniques have to be legislated against in the interest of player safety. As in the past with things like clothesline tackles, head slaps, horse collars, etc.

But there needs to be some common sense applied too. Intent has to matter. If a player is aiming for someone's midsection, and the ball carrier dips at the last second, resulting in H2H, it shouldn't be a foul. There's a huge difference in landing on top of someone, and intentionally driving all of your weight on top of them. If a player puts his face mask into someone's chest - exactly what they say they want with heads up tackling - and the QB's head comes forward so their helmets incidentally touch, that's NOT a H2H hit!

The main complaint through all of this is true: defenses have been handcuffed into not being able to do their job. The rules are way too lopsided in favor of offense, and that lessens the game.

The day may come where it's just flag football. It's an Olympic sport now, after all. But that would be a sad day.

So I have a few modest proposals. Take them all, or only some, but a few things that can even the scales again:

Take away helmets and pads. That will greatly reduce players launching themselves and just going for big hits. It would encourage proper tackling. Rugby and Rugby Union have their share of injuries. But not CTE. And ban turf.

Get rid of the Mel Blount rule. Receivers (and passing games in general) have it far too easy nowadays. If they're truly so good they all can be prima donnas, let them prove it with physicality. Besides, it's risk/reward. If a defender can't control his WR, that WR will be running forever.

Get stricter on holding. Rigidly strict.

Any penalty that can result in more than 10 yards, or automatic first downs are instantly reviewable. (PI, Roughing, H2H, etc) These are penalties that can alter a game, so they SHOULD be reviewed. Very often, refs don't call what they see. They call what they THINK they saw. Review it and get it right.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1