1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

NFL May Ban Hip Drop Tackle

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelresolve, Nov 23, 2023.

1. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    The PI and Roughing the passer calls are getting out of hand. Let the guys play football.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    I forgot to mention the impact of Fantasy Football on the NFL. It has changed the way a lot of people watch the game. My son knows every player of every team. When I was growing up you knew about your local team and you read a little about other teams in the paper on occasion. Now it’s everywhere.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    That’s horrible

Ignorance is bliss

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Exhibit zero
    [​IMG]
    Dana giving Mrs Dana a hand. In a nightclub.

5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Hmmm. As a defensive guy....I don't know what they want D players to do. If You tackle one way...it's a fine...if You tackle another....it's a flag....,and every dang time You come up with another way to effectively stop a player....they come up with a way to change it, flag it, or say it's dangerous, but the Philadelphia shove, or whatever they call it is allowed ....even though at one time such a type of play of pushing Your players forward was demonstrated as a danger to the players, but now it's allowed because it's the offense, and the league has turned to anything good for the offense is great:thumbs_up:...., and anything good for the Defense.:stogie:....is bad. Let the D come up with something even close to that, and it's overruled, and made illegal before a season even finishes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. AtlSteel

AtlSteel Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2021
    You can mostly blame the NFLPA for the drop off in tackling and anything related to full contact. I guess the NFL bears equal blame since they agreed to all the changes.

How practice changes could negatively impact NFL games

• Like Like x 1
  7. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    If it is proven that it causes injury unnecessarily, then it should be banned like the horse caller.

8. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Yet again you attack me in an effort to prove your point and make wrong assumptions based on it.

To address your 1st question. Nope never played. I am unfortunately a very generous 6 foot and until recently as I near 50 struggled to be barely 180 pounds. I'm wasn't blessed with any form or type of athletic ability, I grew up in a hockey town and spent most of my childhood hating the sport because of the bull**** associated with an all encompassing sports town and I do mean bull****. 3 members of the college hockey team were arrested for being minors in a dive bar, the captain of the team tried to break them out and all plead non guilty and got off with probation. Can't win a national championship with 3 members suspended. None of that makes me more or less qualified to talk about safety intelligently. Nor does it make me for over relegating football as a contact sport.

Now my avatar picture Greg Lloyd was one of my all time favorite Steelers and how he played and the 90's Steelers played. I often talk about the MNF game against Buffalo where they knocked out at least 5 members of the Bills offense. It was how the game was played at that point and time. You look at videos from that era and see the pad height and we were just beginning to see players working on themselves for a full 12 months of the year. Getting bigger and stronger.

The modern game has used science and technology to advance the sport. Pads have been developed with composite materials making them lighter and allowing players to get faster and more powerful and ultimately more dangerous. When Shazier was injured there were long discussions about how Shazier always had bad technique when tackling where he lowered his eyes and led with the crown which could lead to injury and it did. It's not wrong to address that so that the sport doesn't leave players paralyzed because you can't legislate football plays.

Two things can be true, we can talk player safety and still have a physical game that we all enjoy. My bringing up the two examples is again saying we can discuss safety and have it be a discussion without having these two extreme examples that force the conversation. Your weak woke bull**** coupled with the piss poor did you ever play doesn't change the fact that yes in the heat of a football play there is no way to halt forward momentum, no way to stop a football play that won't result in an injury to the wrong party. No way to legislate contact out of a contact sport but it shouldn't require you to bury your head in the sand and go well I played and it was great when I did so stop making it a pussies game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Just put flags on them and get it over with. You already can't hit too low or too high. Now you want to make it so they can't drag guys down. Defenders need to be able to tackle.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    If You tackle too low it causes knee, and ankle injuries....if You tackle too high it causes head, and neck injuries....if You tackle in the middle, and they Duck down ....the D players get called for leading with the helmet., but the offense can do it... ..if you reach out , and touch the face mask You you get a penalty, but the offense can do it....if a target shoves You, and You grab back....you get PI, but the offense can do it..m....if You hit a player too hard....it's a flag, but if the offense does it....it's an awesome play....enough is enough.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You aren't wrong, but when I was a teenager, I knew every team like that, too. It wasn't for fantasy football, which wasn't really a thing yet. I was just a football junkie. Hell, I even knew some USFL teams that well.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    We are probably not too far off from a game where offensive players learn to present themselves to a tackle in a manner that draws a foul. About to get tackled? Just contort your body in some manner causing an illegal tackle. Get a flag, 10 yards and a first down automatically.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    When I was young outside the Steelers I knew if the stars from other teams but some teams got no coverage back then like the Seahawks and Patriots.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I think some of them already do it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    Greg Lloyd was one of my all time favorite Steelers. I miss that kind of football. I have zero problem with them trying to make the game safer. But I have a lot of problems with the hypocrisy of all of it and the way they are going about it.

some of these roughing the passer calls are going beyond player safety. They are not practical and it us making the game unfair. I have never seen one position protected more in any sport than the QB position. By default it makes me not like QB’s. It’s not right.

The biggest issue I have with the hip drop tackle is the same as the issue with the roughing the passer call on a defender when he lands on the QB with his body weight when making the tackle.

it’s hard enough to get off a block and read a play and position yourself to have a chance at make a tackle on 4.4 rb or 4.3 wr and then that offensive guy can jump, stop, spin, stiff arm and juke you all while you probably have someone body blocking you or your running towards them or breaking down to make the tackle. Now you have to figure out how to safely tackle them so you don’t hurt them, hurt yourself or get a penalty in a fraction of a second.

it’s impossible to do. Sports are based on instinct. You can create muscle memory and practice proper technique but that stuff only gets you so far. The whole these guys are bigger today and faster and stronger is a bit if a stretch. In fact many if the skill position players including the linebackers have become smaller. The lineman on both sides of the ball are bigger but the size speed thing gets overblown.

The reason asking if you have ever played us relevant is because you don’t understand tge intinctusl part of the game if you never played it. These rule changes are going to eventually start causing injuries to defensive players. I can see broken wrists etc. already with defensive players trying to brace their falls. They are asking these guys to make unnatural moves and contort their bodies to avoid being penalized. It absolutely is ruining the game.

The hypocrisy is they extended the season. They added Thursday night games as a result less rest between games. They still have turf fields. I bet if you took a poll amongst players in the league they would much rather do away with those things than have a stupid rule added.

Thus rule is about one thing and one thing only. If it poses a risk to a star asset like Lamar Jackson you can bet they are going to take a look at it. Goodell does not care about the players. He cares about protecting the league from lawsuits (that’s where todays culture and wokeness come in) and generating revenue.

As long as the NFL remains the top league and continues to generate revenue like they do he really doesn’t care about the quality or the integrity of the game. Like I said he has benefited greatly from technology today that has boosted exposure and legalized gambling and fantasy football.

At some point he is going to go too far with these rule changes. Nobody thought Boxing would become what it has become. The UFC was viewed as too brutal in the beginning but yet it has surpassed boxing. The NFL better be careful.

• Like Like x 1
  16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    upload_2023-11-23_15-39-4.jpeg

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Burfict/Bengals approved :thumbs_up:
    [​IMG]

18. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    That would be when I stop watching.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Sometimes you you can't compartmentalize existence? Maybe that's an answer?

• Like Like x 1
  20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Ok snowflake

Keep your foolishness and politics to yourself but not here

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. Pappy928

Pappy928 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2019
    The more judgemental penalties the more control refs have to guide the game.

Money talks. ... but will drive fans away eventually. Look at ASSCAR

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I actually went to the inaugural USFL championship game

July 10, 1983

Mile High Stadium

After the game the drunk friend I went with said stay here I’ll be back

Then he walked to the end zone went up to the last row went through a gate and up a ladder or steps took down the inaugural flag neatly folded it put it under his arm like he was supposed to do this and took it home

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  23. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Don't confuse politics with money. The league is concerned about injuries only insomuch as it costs the teams and the league money. Look at the reprehensible way they tried to shove the concussion issue under the rug.

Most of these roughing calls don't warrant a PF grade and a fifteen-yard penalty. Make them either five- or fifteen-yard varieties like face mask calls. Make roughing calls reviewable, too. How is a ref supposed to judge whether a call warrants a flag and whether there was intent to injure in a split second? PI should be reviewable as well, especially DPI which is a spot foul. For years now it has been used as a strategy to throw a deep ball and hope for DPI. I can almost live with the BS that the NFL is concerned about player safety if the overall affect wasn't so punitive to defenses. People will say that if they implement changes like making PI and roughing reviewable that it will slow the game down. I personally wouldn't mind if it levels the playing field.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    This was some years ago but a great defensive lineman (not a Steeler) said that holding could be called on 90% of the plays.

Between injuries and trying to ref an NFL game the product seems in decline.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Ad agencies all over America are in agreement;) NFL knows how to make a buck off 60 minutes of playing time. The game is long now so I too would slow it more for the sake of fairness.

• Like Like x 2