1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

NFL free agency thread 2022 rumors and signings

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Mar 10, 2022.

1. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    BTW. heard this morning that after the Devontae Parker trade the Dolphins now have five picks in the first 3 rounds in the 2023 draft.

So yeah, they gave up a lot for Tyreek Hill, but they didn't sell their draft future to get him as people have said. They had the picks piled up like cord wood. Maybe like the Eagles who must be eyeing up the 2023 draft for a QB.

2. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Yup

3. 88Unstoppable82

88Unstoppable82 Well-Known Member

May 21, 2021
    As a firm and unwavering rule for me, I would always, 100% of the time trade a TON to move up for a guy I believe is special than trade nothing to get someone I believe is just a guy. So if I believe nobody special is available this year (and I do), but someone special will be available next year (and I do), I'm waiting until then, even if I have to trade a TON to get him. Hoisting a Lombardi in the future isn't going to feel any less special to me because I had to trade a TON in a particular draft to get it.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Imo only stroud and young are special. Problem is are the two teams with the worse record going to want to move off them for picks. Unless someone who doesn't need a qb like say Jacksonville gets a top 2 pick, then I don't think that will be just so easy to obtain.

5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

Scrub :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I do not believe the problems stem from Tyreek's draft compensation to acquire him. The problem currently is based on if Tua can actually push the ball down the field for that is the best way to use him; Jaylen Waddle included. For that matter, that Dolphins WR Corps is essentially an F1 Team of Receivers.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    This:this!:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I am assuming when the Steelers signed Avery, Taco could see it was time to get out of town.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011

:hehehe:

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

As @KMM stated, 5 picks within the first three rounds of the 2023 Draft. That is not by accident either. This is the year for Tua to prove that he is a Franchise level QB; one who will benefit from an Offensive Minded Head Coach. If he cannot, move off of him; very simple.

For that matter, see what Sean McVay did to Jared Goff. An extreme example? Of course but such a move did turn out well in the end. As I forewarned about this a season ago, teams are going to now forfeit and burn away 1st Round Picks at an unprecedented rate; the Browns being just the latest example.

Again, thank the likes of Stan Kroenke for accelerating this belief that 1st Round Picks are nothing more than useless draft capital should a player be worth those assets. I believe that me and you both agreed that what the Rams were doing would embolden teams to do the same way back this past Offseason. We, along with others like us, were and are being proven right about this for I do not expect this "F**k First Round Picks" narrative that Kroenke has now popularized to end anytime soon. If anything, welcome to tje ret con of the 1950s to the 1960s; teams trading away Draft Capital for the prospects coming out are seemingly not good enough or building a Super Team using the least amount of effort in terms of scouting and development. Now, the Rams have gotten great overall play from the likes of some of their recent draft classes; Cooper Kupp being the biggest one of course. However, how much longer will the Rams press onward with this strategy and expect the same results is something only time will tell.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Exactly.
    Also if everyone adopts this approach....The few that still do it the old way should make out like bandits .....if they do it smart. If You see what I'm alluding 2.

12. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Not surprised personally. Bobby Wagner was disrespected by his own team via Twitter that he was being released. It is one aspect to release a player but do so with respect and honor. To do it the way that Seattle did.... that is just being petty; Richard Sherman via just cutting him without warning after being injured yet another long list of unusual and toxic conclusions that the Seahawks have undergone these past couple of seasons.

While competing for a Championship will still be on Wagner's mind... you better bet on it that Wagner is craving some vengeance against his old team. Richard Sherman did as well; turned out pretty well overall.

• Like Like x 2
  13. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Teams like the Steelers will for the Rooney's do not adhere to the modern allure of obtaining as much talent as possible through the quickest of means. For that matter, Art Rooney Sr already tried this via the likes of Buddy Parker (1957-1964), Mike Nixon (1965) and finally ended with Bill Austin (1966-1968). Did not help the Steelers to trade away picks then. In today's Steelers World.. there have been exceptions; Jerome Bettis and Minkah Fitzpatrick. One is in Canton Ohio and the other I believe will be for his 2021 Campaign was nothing more than an outlier. That said, mind you I said exceptions... not rules.

Expect the Steelers to continue to conduct their business as they have; some exceptions here and there of course. If anything, I believe Kevin Colbert has one more of those left before he goes for good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    I'm not sure what "making out like bandits" is. If you mean making the playoffs every year, sure. If you mean winning the SB, uh...I'm not sure. If half the league is willing to sell the future for the present like the Rams, one of them is likely to win the whole enchilada.

Regardless, my point was only that if you play it smart like the Dolphins have seemed to, you can play for this year, and still have next year. It doesn't have to be a binary choice.

15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    For every Rams....You have Washington, Philly, and others that have tried this.....also Rams were one dropped int away from all of that being for absolutely nothing.

16. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    LOL at a dropped INT away for nothing. a) they made it to the SB and b) woulda, coulda, shoulda.

They won. deal with it. Now we got more teams trying to do that.

I'm not saying it's the right, or only, way, but just that doing it the old fashioned way got harder.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Huge bust

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I don’t think there is anything wrong with it, it’s not like buying a championship via FA with no salary cap.

19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Deal with what:shrug:
    One freaking team getting 2 and winning a SB this way.:shrug:
    Stop the press.....because one team has made out this way every team should now do it. LoL. I'd say that would be jumping the gun, but since there seems 2 be a lot of dumb teams out there We will see.....So Browns by Your saying should be next SB winner....I'm mean they just gave up a bunch of Draft picks ,and money for a player???? .....,or are we only going 2 bring up the teams that succeed doing this,and not the bunch that haven't???:shrug:

20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Cleveland

21. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Somebody wanna do a wellness check on @mac daddyo

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i don't really care but he still caused the fumble. ;):cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    You need to let that go.

24. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Dallas took Taco over TJ :facepalm:

• Winner Winner x 2
  25. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    The league is a copycat league, and the market for players sets itself. There are only so many Qbs worth top money, but the scramble sets up huge paydays for some that have no business receiving that much, but paid they are. The top 3 receivers are averaging over 28 million I believe and can at least be called game changers, will the market recognize that or will others push that to 30 plus million? Crazy times.

• Winner Winner x 1