1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

NFL All Time Team

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by The Glory Days, Nov 29, 2019.

1. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Ever heard of Louis Lipps? If he played on the 90's squads... Steelers offense would have been explosive to say the least. He would have made O'Donnell and Stewart better QBs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Well, one of us understands that the middle linebacker in a 4-3 is asked to do more, not less, than one in a 3-4. The other is you.

That debate is nowhere close to not knowing that Jack Lambert played middle linebacker.

3. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I like how he cut it off at 1986. It's almost as if he was going out of his way to avoid the 1987 draft, which started with Rod Woodson and included Greg Lloyd, because it doesn't fit his narrative.

On a side note, that was a heck of a draft. Thomas Everett, Hardy Nickerson and Tim Johnson were also very solid players. Delton Hall actually looked like he might be something, too, but he flamed out.

4. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Oh my god. Shut up already. I wasn't going to modify the original quote because Jack Lambert had nothing to do with the spirit of the story OR my post. It could have been left out entirely without changing the sentiment. I actually considered truncating the quote for brevity which would have removed the oh so offensive misrepresentation of Russel and Lambert's positions. BUT IT DIDN'T MATTER.

I have never defended the author for the mistake. I don't care. But obviously you are perfect. You have never made a mistake and therefore are justified in holding EVERYONE to a higher standard.

Just shut up and crawl back under your rock. Again, you add nothing to the conversation. Bugger off, CurrentScrub.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I read it, saw it before and I think I covered it in my comments. Just proves that beyond the success of the 70's (where the picks were lower), their drafting in the 80's was very subpar. I do not know who stated it, but someone in the organization said in the 70's had a hard time figuring out who to cut, in the 80's we did not know when to stop. You said the Steelers know how to draft great defensively players. They did for sure, then they forgot how do to it.

6. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You didn't have to modify the initial quote. You could simply acknowledge the error. Then again, you would have had to notice the error and/or realize it was an error to do anything and you didn't. If you had, you would have mentioned that before now.

Thank you for supporting my claim that you have nothing but ad hominem. You just proved me right yet again and I appreciate that.

7. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Thats 'be' not bet. Sorry.

8. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    I know it was. Just joshing a bit. And remember, being a Steeler fan means never having to say you're sorry. :smiley1:

9. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I think you missed the entirety of the read.

The issue is not how the Steelers usually draft. The issue stems from fan expectation. That is the whole point of the article; illustrating how difficult it can be to acquire a Minkah, a T.J. or even a Troy. Those three players were not surefire successes sans Minkah during their respective draft process.

10. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I don't follow the draft like you do aql, why was Troy not considered a can't miss player?

11. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    yea I missed it, lol. I am not trying to argue the Steelers have not drafted great defensive players. The 69 to 74 drafts were unprecedented, including an undrafted guy who should be in the HOF (Donnie Shell). In my original response I only included the Noll years simply because those were the players on your list, taking into account the 'winning years' and the lower draft seeding, to me the 80's were a disaster for defensive drafting. Except for 86 and 89, there was really no one noteworthy to even mention. Now Woodson, Lloyd, and Lake are pretty successful for any franchise to claim, and I will even throw in the potential of Rivera who very well might have been a truly great one (sadly we will never know). That said, given the state of the Steelers in the 80's, the drafts were remarkably unmemorable and very substandard for a franchise who had built a dominant team the previous decade through the draft.

12. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    Yes I heard of Louis Lipps, what defensive position did he play? Seeing the post I was replying to was exclusively talking about defensive players drafted. Loved Lipps, loved his play and thought his candy business was a great idea. I was not informed he played on the defensive side of the ball, my goodness cant even find one stat where he played defense. Guess your memory is just that good, eh?

13. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

His lack of height was a major concern during the era in which he played. Strong Safeties of that era usually were around 6 ft. To 6'2 and weighing 215lbs. Troy was only 5'10. Some scouts also thought that Troy lacked the range necessary to handle any two deep safety looks; another primal trait Strong Safeties of that era were known for.

The biggest oddity what I read about him were his lack of agility and short area quickness when he came out. Maybe it was just me but looking back at those old USC tapes I did not see it personally. :lolol:

• Like Like x 1
  14. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    You are a sad, strange, little man.

*******Read further if you are @Formerscribe , have no life, or are just curious about what I'm going on about. It has nothing to do with the topic at hand******

That was a quote from Toy Story. Buzz Lightyear said that about Woody. I would postulate that Buzz's use of sad was to point out that Woody was pathetically inadequate, as is @Formerscribe. Even though Woody was sorrowful due to missing his "child," Buzz would not have known this at the time. The usage of sad in both instances was therefore correct.

The usage of strange is also accurate considering the source. Both Buzz and I view our targets as unusual or surprising in a way that is unsettling or hard to understand. Subjected to the scrutiny a jury of our peers, however, Buzz might find his opinion of Woody as strange wildly uncommon. That is not the same in my case as no one here sees @Formerscribe as anything but the very definition of strange.

The usage of little in this quote is accurate for Woody as Buzz sees him as small in size as well as, with condescending attitude, degree. I do not, however, know that @Formerscribe is small in stature. I cannot accurately state that @Formerscribe is little in that regard. But I most certainly am insinuating that @Formerscribe is very small in degree, or significance, if you will.

Gramatically, I take full responsibility for the accuracy of the quote as presented here. It was originally verbalized and therefore devoid of punctuation. My quote is a complete thought. It contains a subject and a verb. It is, therefore, a sentence, no matter what strange (there's that word again) English structure @Formerscribe attempts to shove down our throats, or more accurately into our eye sockets. Finally, the use of commas is correct as sad, strange, and little are coordinate adjectives, not cumulative. They modify Woody, as well as @Formerscribe, separately and equally.

Only @Formerscribe has the ability to determine the intent of punctuation in verbal communication. He will most definitely take this as an opportunity to opine and regale us with his vast and superior knowledge, further bolstering his incredibly bloated impression of himself.

Eagerly awaiting more nonsense from the @Formerscribe peanut gallery. I'm certain that I have offended the sanctity of Pixar Studios in some fashion by leaving out some detail of Mr. and Mrs. Potato Head's love life. But just as nothing about them is germane to my quote and subsequent comments, neither was Jack Lambert's position on the Pittsburgh Steelers in 1975.

Now, I'm done on the crapper. I'm done posting. And I'm done with CurrentScrub.

TGD OUT!!

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
  16. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I didn't see the previous post... the thread was titled NFL ALL TIME TEAM, which includes offensive players last time I checked. You also left off Robin Cole who was a good linebacker on the same level as Merriweather.

And yes, my memory is damn good. Good enough to remember the 80's... even after all of the brain cells killed due to the frequent consumption of cheap lager. :smiley1:

17. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    In my original response I did include Cole and Dwayne Woodruff as players who were very good draft picks, especially with the draft positions the Steelers had at the time.

18. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Glad you understand. I have fantasized many times about beating @Formerscribe with a stick.

19. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

:facepalm:

20. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    So we get back to the decision to arbitrarily cut the time span used off at 1986 because 1987 blows your narrative out of the water with Woodson and Lloyd, not to mention some very solid starters also taken that year.

21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That is why you fail. The most I do is read your posts, point out the massive flaws in them and move on.

22. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Thank you so much for proving my point about you. Personal attacks are all you have. Take that away, and you're the guy who doesn't even know Jack Lambert was a middle linebacker. :)

Enjoy the game, folks. I'm stuck waiting for Game Pass, so I'm about to check out until this evening.

23. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Haven’t we all ;)

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Your brain is as empty as a sewing basket in a nudist colony. (that's another personal attack, btw)

25. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    currentscrub.png