1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Next Year's Back up QB?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by NorvaSteel, Jan 17, 2012.

1. NorvaSteel

NorvaSteel Member

Nov 14, 2011
    What do we do about the back-up QB situation for next year? I believe all three (Dixon, Batch and Leftwich) are free agents.

I know that none of them will "break the bank" but I just can't imagine Ben staying healthy and are any of these guys an answer for more than one game?

I love Charlie but is it reasonable to assume he can come back again?

I would certainly lean toward Lefty (based on his being younger than Charlie) but he just can't seem to stay healthy.

I liked Dixon's mobility but do you really want to trust him in a pass first offense? Sure seems that he has regressed in the eyes of the coaches.

Do we take a late round QB this year just to give us something at 3 with low miles and bring back Leftwich as the fragile #2? I'm not looking to bring in someone to push Ben....we have more pressing needs elsewhere....but the 2012 version of a T.J. Yates sure would be nice. With a bunch of late round picks (including possibly 2 compensatory 7th round ones for Spaeth and Eason) it seems like we could grab someone.

2. WWW

WWW Writing Team

Oct 24, 2011
    No need to push Ben, and still to early in his carreer to begin looking for his succesor. So basically, we need a #2 guy who can operate our system and a #3 for emergency situations. So, I'd agree with:

1) Keep Batch.
    2) Let Lefty walk.
    3) Give Dixon a chance to compete for a backup job elsewhere.
    4) Get a 3rd QB from a late round (7th) or a post-draft FA rookie.

3. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I hope we draft a qb in this years draft.Hopefully somebody in the
    late rounds that we can start getting ready to take over. This would be a 4 to 5 year plan.

4. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    You really think a late round QB is going to be able to take over for Ben in 4 to 5 years? A late rounder? Not many Tom Ladies in any draft.

5. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011

The Steeler scouts of old could find these hidden gems, yes they maybe able to find one
    that suits there fancy. This is why we have a scouting department, maybe they see something
    in a QB that other teams do not? Maybe given the chance/oppurtunity they can become
    another Tom Brady. Talent evaluation is the key of any professional success.

6. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I hope we can get Matt Flynn as a backup next year

7. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Matt Flynn will be starting some where next year. Wouldn't suprise me if the Browns made a push for him.

8. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I'm thinking they bring back Leftwich, I think Charlie will retire, Dixon will be let go, then they will draft a rookie in the 5-7th round. I'm guessing Kellen Moore from Boise state, I think he will fall far in the draft. Then they will probaly sign another undrafted rookie for training camp.

9. Cbus Steelers

Cbus Steelers Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Are you serious? Flynn is going to be like Kolb....someone is going to throw a huge contract at him based on 2 games that he's played. We're not going to pay $40 million for a backup.

I think Batch is back for another year at #2

10. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I think Leftwich will probably be back as the #2 next year. I'm not sure what will happen with CB. I guess it depends on if we decide to go for a young replacement in the late rounds, and if CB even wants to come back another year.

11. bobtx2us

bobtx2us Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Why would you bring back CB, when the coaches didn't believe he would be more effective @ 100% than Ben was @ 50% [maybe] for the last 2 games of the season?

12. punkneater

punkneater Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2011
    We definately need to draft a QB this year! I'd keep Batch or Lefty and let Dixon go.

13. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    While I was against drafting a QB at the time we drafted Dixon, I am all for it this year. Ben is now injury prone and our backups just aren't cutting it. I have no real problems with Lefty, but he also has missed the past 2 seasons. I wouldn't have a problem using a 6th round pick on either Case Keenum or Kellen Moore. I would also keep an eye on guys like Weeden & Osweiler should one of them fall into the 5th round.

14. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    I'm going to be the backup QB! The end! hahahah

15. mdbates2

Nov 3, 2011
    I'm not doubting the abilities of our talent evaluators, but between Bradshaw and Ben, who exactly did we get that we could consider a lights-out quarterback to continue Steeler dominance? Since Bradshaw and Ben were both 1st rounders, what other quarterback did the Steeler scouts of old find that was a hidden gem in the late rounds? I don't remember any. Even busts like Mark Malone and Bubby Brister were selected in the 1st and 3rd rounds, respectively. Ben's replacement for 4-5 years from now is NOT likely to come from a late round selection of a team picking 24th on the board - not because the Steelers aren't good at finding players at that point in the draft, but because there really aren't many that exist!

16. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Bubby was sometimes fun to watch even though he stunk at times. He's the only Q.B. to say the words, "I'm happy as sh#$" live after a game and also get benched in favor of Steve Bono by Noll for telling the press the Steelers should "just go ahead and punt on 1st down"

17. colsteveaustin

colsteveaustin Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I'm not sure? I do hope the Steelers draft a QB in the later rounds of the 2012 draft? :towel:

18. mdbates2

Nov 3, 2011
    Fun to watch - but would you want a QB like him to take over after Ben is done? Ben's replacement, if we're to continue dominance, is most likely going to come out of the 1st round. As much as I'm amazed that someone like Brady came out of such a low round, I wouldn't want to take my chances on one of those picks ending up a franchise QB.

19. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Fun to watch - but would you want a QB like him to take over after Ben is done? Ben's replacement, if we're to continue dominance, is most likely going to come out of the 1st round. As much as I'm amazed that someone like Brady came out of such a low round, I wouldn't want to take my chances on one of those picks ending up a franchise QB.[/quote:3hqhhu6o]
    Montana was a third round draft pick as well but like you said, they are rare. Heck, most 1st rounders end up not being franchise QB's so when you get one it's a special thing.

20. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
  21. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    Was Johnson one of the 9 or 10 players just signed to the "Futures/Reserves" contracts?
    I saw the headline in the Gazette, but didn`t read the story.
    Not sure exactly what "Future/Reserve" contracts are.
    I`m guessing for guys we put on the practice squad, mostly?
    At any rate, I am glad to see we have him, based on the video in the previous post.
    I had been concerned about Ben`s backup(not NECESSARILY replacement), going into last season.
    As much as I like Batch, I just think it`s time for him to move onto coaching.
    If he is willing to stick around as a back-up, fine. Although I have concerns about his ability to stay healthy for 2 or 3 entire games.
    I don`t think Lefty would want to sign on as a backup again. He sees himself as a starter, whether the rest of the league does, or not.
    Dixon? I dunno.... I`m sure he wants a chance to start somewhere, even tho he has the decency not to pout in public about it.
    Hard to tell what we have in him, really, as he has very rarely seen regular season action.
    That kinda tells me what the coaches think of him.
    The Johnson kid, I never paid attention to, but from that highlight video, he sure seems to have good vision down the field, and a strong, accurate arm, and the ability to make a decision on the proper receiver to throw to(based on the completion percentage, and lack of int`s).
    From that limited sample, he also seems to have a good scrambling ability, and the decision-making skills, to know when to use it.
    I would look forward to finding out more about him.

22. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011

Was Tom Brady a proven commodity when he was drafted in the 6th round? You take a chance
    and hope for the best.

23. black hat

black hat Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    While there are exceptions, e.g. Tom Brady, I've never understood the rationale for drafting a quarterback in the later rounds. Most, e.g Tee Martin, Brian St. Pierre, Dennis Dixon hang around for a few years and are unceremoniously cut. They just don't contribute. I'd much rather go with proven commodities like Charlie Batch and Byron Leftwich. Both have won in the NFL, and Charlie has proven himself over and over when called upon. If you're going to take a quarterback, take him early. With today's media and scouting, you're extremely unlikely to find a diamond during the third day of the draft,

24. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Kellen Moore may end up being a great NFL backup QB. He is a guy who would study and fully understand the offense and the opposing defense, and would effectively "manage" the games until the starter returns - kind of like Batch in his younger days. He doesn't have the physical tools to be more than a spot starter in the NFL, but he knows how to run an offense. I would LOVE it if we took him somewhere in the 4th - 7th round.

25. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011