1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Next year Dobbs starts

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by PWP, Sep 27, 2021.

1. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    He’ll have made over $4MM by season’s end. Dude is financially set to chase whatever career he wants.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. chris2fer

chris2fer Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2016
    These guys were in town this weekend straight fire.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    Are you in the market for any property? Got some to sell ya! LOL

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    I am giving it a couple more weeks, if there is no rebound and improvement, and no wins and playoff chances look slim to none than it will be over, enter Mason... but I am not there yet

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    There are plenty of reasons for that which have nothing to do with Dobbs actually knowing what he is talking about. Roethlisberger resented that the Steelers drafted Rudolph. He wanted a player that would help the team immediately, not one who might ultimately replace him. He's not the only quarterback to think that way. See how Aaron Rodgers has behaved since the Packers spent a high pick on a quarterback.

Dobbs, on the other hand, was never a real threat to Roethlisberger's job.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. SpeedyMikeWallace

SpeedyMikeWallace Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    [​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  7. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    I am not really trying to be a jerk but were you one of the people on here who thought Ben was going to come back better than ever a year older after major surgery that ends some Qb's career's. I understand not wanting to give up but Ben is done (and has been done for almost half a decade). Even with a better O line he was still was never going to have the year that people wanted him to have. He is here for a Paycheck and keep the spotlight a little longer while living in denial.

I will bet everything i own regardless of how the season plays out that Ben doesn't finish the season. His body can't handle it. What's sad is he could end up hurting himself really bad cause of his ego.

8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Or they value him and his input.

9. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Maybe, but my reason lines up perfectly with the attitude we've seen from Roethlisberger. He was unhappy about Rudolph being drafted, so he froze the guy out. If I remember correctly, he expressed no such displeasure over Dobbs being drafted because he knew the guy wasn't a threat to his job.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    It's a solid point.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Dobbs is not an NFL starter, he might be a #3 at best. He has never started a game in the NFL as far as I remember and I very much doubt he ever will

I will say that he would have been useful in that 2019 season when they were rolling Hodges out there

• Like Like x 1
  12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Dobbs and Redman instead of najee.:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Someone keeps thinking this is peewee football.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Wow....

was this supposed to be in green text?

15. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    15-4 record, 50+ TD passes, league MVP. I'd settle for that from Ben. ;+)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    As would I, but you do realize I was referring to the talk of him wanting out of Green Bay.

17. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Yeah, I included a ;+) in my response to indicate sarcasm. He knew he wasn't going anywhere though.

18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    True. Forcing a promise to let him move on if he still wants to after this season was probably the best he was ever going to get.

19. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I hope it works out for both of them, somehow. I guess Aaron has some input regarding team moves now, so that might help.

20. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Tomlin stated that Dobbs was looking good at camp and showed a good understanding of the Offense as well as stating don't count him out of the race .. Matt stated he was playing well before he got hurt and that we value him as part of the Team ..Ben is also seen looking at the IPAD with Dobbs more than anyone else on the Team .. So what is fair to speculate is that he knows Canada's O as good as any QB in the room ..

What we also know is that he is the most mobile of the group so if we draft a mobile type QB one who can hopefully throw good as well then who would be his best bu from our group ? Or who would you start until the new QB got a feel for the NFL and the Offensive scheme ? To me these things point to Dobbs...

Keep in mind I am sure that the Ben final tour included a who is best suited to play in a similar style to Ben if needed so that would be Mason IMO , but with the production looking so bad the OC will want to move away from the dink and dunk pocket stuff and this adds more value to Dobbs who the OC already said he valued ...

Look at his preseason stats and look at 2018 when he got practice reps and worked with better units..https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/joshua-dobbs-player-stats?category=passing&seasonType=pre Looks good except for the 2 INT's also notice he had no sacks in 2018 as he was able to scramble and avoid them..Dobb's stated that he would be forcing the ball during camp trying to make something happen this year so is he smart enough to not do that if the Coach tells him to protect the Football ? I think he is I think he can avoid sacks make some timely throws and scramble some to extend drives ..All of this is just as good or better than any option we have at this point including Ben..

As I stated last year they should have played Dobbs against the Browns as our protect the Football and run the ball was our best choice to start that game ..Get under Center and run Zone read and RPO'S force the Browns to stop the run and not play meet at the QB ..What unfolded shotgun bad snap and everyone meeting at the QB where the ball is on the ground played right into the Browns Defensive scheme..

Ben was done as soon as Teams figured out he was no threat as a deep passer or hitting guys in stride over the middle , Teams already knew he couldn't run or extend plays to any level that would hurt so when that extra Defender came into the box the run game was toast the PA was toast and another set of hands to tackle or disrupt the short passing game..

If Teams went cover 2 deep on Ben we could run and throw at will , but no Team is stupid enough to do that anymore ...

21. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    By the bye week, we will have a pretty good idea where this train is destined to go. IMO>

22. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    True. I was speaking of his overall presence there but your point can definitely be applied to Ben just not liking Rudolph.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    No...You are correct. I believe Ben , and Rudolph don't like each other.

24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    A little Doberman, and some Mowy Wowy.
    If I remember this correctly. :lolol:

25. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I know he’s on IR, but is Dobbs even around on the sidelines on game day?

I haven’t noticed him, but maybe he’s there always at Bens side, translating Canada’s sophisticated calculus into crayon for him.

If Dobbs ain’t around on game day, it would seem that the extent that they value his input is somewhat limited.