1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Next Stop, Running Game

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by STEELWINDS, Nov 10, 2019.

1. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hi Everyone.

In a sense, I feel like I am growing with this team week by week as well regarding my re-evaluations of our Steelers. Great win today. Anytime we win is great! Let us take some time to revel in our victory and get ready for a short-week of preparation.

Now down to business. Not that we do not know about this already but if we are going to remain significant, we have to establish a running game. I know that has been discussed numerous times and that our O-Line is not “built” in that way. I get it. We are an Extraordinary Pass-Blocking line. And for that, we should all be truly grateful, especially for Mason’s sake. It is exactly what the doctored ordered for him as he was thrust into the QB starting role. Given that, we still need something that resembles a "Running Game" to take some pressure off of the "O", more specifically the WR crew, and Mason. STEELWINDS

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  2. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Your worse than AQL.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    We missed Nix badly last night. Trying to run single back against Aaron Donald was tough. It also didn't help that Pouncey just seemed a bit... off. Bad snaps, getting tangled up with no.40 (though that may be the RB being off with his timing as well - but he is effectively the 6th-string guy).

We need to acknowledge that the Rams have a very sturdy defense, but they need to fill in a few of the pieces to get the run game back on track. I think another week of practice for Brooks and Edmunds will help come the Browns game.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  4. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Running game needs an OC, Fichtner has 5 designed runs and you can tell when the defense shifts mid cadence. Another note on the line, Chucks is just bad, he is a below average pass blocker and run blocking....May as well have nobody there, it is that bad.

5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    They are not an extraordinary pass blocking line for one.

the new rb I thought looked pretty good. Quickness helps with this blocking.:cool:

6. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I agree. And it will also help with more plays to the outside and off-tackle - we seem to get stuck with running our backs straight into the line sometimes.

7. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    We've all seen it a hundred times.....any decent running back can succeed in a good scheme, and a great running back will struggle in a bad scheme.

We don't have a clue if we have decent running backs, great running backs, or garbage running backs because our run scheme is terrible!

8. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Sure hope that experiment with Chuck at right tackle goes away. He whiffed several times so bad. Just horrible tackle play. Go back to the way it was please.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Conner and Snell being out doesn't help. Samuels is a 3rd down pass-catcher, not a starter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Joshi

Joshi Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2019
    This is the biggest issue in my opinion. First, with Conner healthy, the running game was progressing well. Second, we played a tough defense yesterday, especially the d-line which has to be in the top 5. Add up 1+2 and we had a very tough day running the ball.
    Players and coaches make each other look good/bad. Conner makes the OC look better. Hopefully Conner is back for this Thursday. The Steelers will need him.

11. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I think without the injuries are running game is fine. I just can't ever see Conner playing a 16 game season:(

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    They should have picked up Kareem Hunt when he was available. There are clearly issues with the scheme but Hunt is better than anything the Steelers have by some distance.

Agree on Samuels, he is a nice complement to the offence but he is a long way off being a RB1

13. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Agree, yesterday with the Rams had so many guys in the box, we didn't have a fullback with an extra offensive linemen, two tight ends you knew we were going to run Samuels up the middle and also knew there would be little gain and at times loose yardage. The running scheme is bad and too obvious. That running scheme has not work all year. I was calling the running plays just out of our alignment and also calling no gains. This is where in game adjustments come into play.