1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

New Steelers head coach for 2015

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 12to88, Oct 12, 2014.

1. knab70

knab70 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2012
    Nate Scarborough

2. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I wish that were true. They're winning!

3. Steelcop

Steelcop Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
  4. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Well, yes, this season. But you know what I mean: over the past decade or more, the Cowboys made headlines for being a soap opera rather than a good team.

5. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I know. :smiley1:

6. knab70

knab70 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2012
    Cowher had plenty of time on the outside analyzing the issues with this team, but i don't see him taking on the role anywhere in the league.

7. dinochoppers

dinochoppers Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2014
    Hey whatever it takes to get him out of here. I'd rather see that than this crap be dragged year into next year

8. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    The Chin! A.K.A. Bill Cowher!

He is not afraid to bench guys who are not producing...

9. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    It will be Tomlin, barring some 3-13 finish or something.

10. lovembig

lovembig Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2011
    theres a different feel to this team than there was when Cowhers teams were struggling.

i dont think Tomlin has any control over this team. they are completely undisciplined and i dont think he has any control over his coaches.

the definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over expecting a different result. DL keeps rolling out the same tired old defensive game plan hoping to recapture the glory years. now whether you are on the side of thinking the league has figured out his defense schemes or he just doesnt have the players to run his defensive schemes anymore, either way its not working and he isnt changing.

i think a change needs to be made. i think the coaching staff needs to be changed. i think Tomlin has lost this team and i dont see him getting it back.

sure they dont have a lot of talent, but they have enough to play better than they have.

11. HawkeyeJames

HawkeyeJames Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Hopefully someone different than what we currently have. I think we need to completely clean house no matter how long it sets us back. Between the GM and the coaching staff we have the perfect storm in which we draft talent, the coaching talent doesn't develop them fast enough and/or we sign players past their prime to extensions. It is time to start over from the ground up.

12. Delporto

Delporto New Member

Oct 13, 2014
    Bill Cowher? Am I dreaming?
    The sight of Tomlin and his jerk O-coordinator, Todd Haley, looking like deer in the headlights makes me sick. Go Penguins.

13. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    So, I agree with those who think Tomlin will be here in 2015. In my view he should not be here if the current tailspin continues, but I don't see any value to jumping the gun when we're 3-3. Technically, we can still rebound and be a playoff team. While I don't think that will happen, the rest of the season - or at least the next several weeks - need to be played out before taking any action. His seat should be red hot behind closed doors, but it wouldn't be helpful to signal that to the media. It could only undermine what little chance there is of a turnaround. To me the decision should be made the day after the regular season ends. If we're in the playoffs, he stays. If not, time for a change. I don't want to hear about our 6-2 finish last uear, or a similar non playoff finish thus season. The bottom line is that the coach owns the whole season, and if a bad start sinks the team I don't give a crap weather he gets the team to compete down the stretch after the season is pretty much lost.

PS - I typed this on my phone, so ignore typos. There are too many to bother correcting them.

14. deljzc

deljzc Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    Colbert first.

We need a GM that is not attached to Tomlin the way Colbert is. We need a GM that is not attached to the players the way Colbert is.

This team, the coaches, the players are not being self-evaluated correctly. We somehow think we are better than we are. We think we are coaching well. We think we have talent. We think there is some mysterious "execution" issue that is holding us back (funny how there's always some excuse for almost 2 and a half years now).

The thing is I don't BELIEVE them anymore. I don't BELIEVE Tomlin when he points to the excuse this week. I don't BELIEVE Colbert when he talks about the roster and it's problems and how he fixed it.

They have lost credibility.

It is hard for anyone without real access to know who a better GM would be, but change and a new set of eyes is almost more important at this point. Even a lateral move from Colbert (and I suspect any thought out process and employment of a new person would end up being better) would be better for this team right now.

Stability is NOT what we need (and I normally don't say that). Sometimes change for change sake IS better than Stability as long as it's not your MO.

After 8 years of Tomlin, change is needed. Somewhere. And my opinion, that is Colbert first, THEN the coaching staff.

15. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I just think with Tomlin there are no consequences for bad play.

Players aren't really receiving any messages. Cowher wasn't afraid to bench a guy if he wan't up to snuff.

16. niterider

niterider Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    Need a new OC as a minimum. Haley is calling plays based off a % and a stat sheet. His philosophy as far as I can tell is to call a play that is opposite of what the defense would expect. It's a numbers game to him, no different than a computer spitting out an algorithm. That's why we're seeing passes when they should run and vice versa, i.e. high risk pass plays on 3 & 1 when you've been running it well all day. He fails to see the strengths of our offense & the weakness of the opponent and utilize them.

17. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Deljzc- just for clarification, are you saying can Colbert after this season and give Tomlin 1 more year, or can them both this offseason, but can them sequentially? I personally see no problem with parting ways with both the same day if the season ends the way it's currently playing out.

18. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm 3-3 in fantasy football so I'll be submitting my resume...obviously

19. deljzc

deljzc Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    I think you have to fire Colbert, then give a new GM a whole year to see what's going on first.

20. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    GMs generally bring in their own coach. The way the Jets did it was back-asswards.

If Colbert goes, Tomlin should too.

I don't advocate firing either, just stating an opinion.

On a side note, the Cowher posts are funny, fire Tomlin to bring in a guy that went through the same thing. It's come full circle now :lolol:

21. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    This is EXACTLY how I feel.

22. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't know how bad the Steelers would have to be for me to stop watching, will certainly have to be a lot worse then a couple 8-8 seasons. Can't just jump ship during the down years, makes the climb back to the top much sweeter.

23. VA_Black&Gold

VA_Black&Gold Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The problem for me is that we are 3-3 for this season only. It does not account for previous seasons of the same tomfoolery, and it's the long term trend that has me irate.

24. aregeejay

aregeejay Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2014
    On one hand.......Michigan's Brady Hoke may soon be available.....
    :eek:

25. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Really, from Tribelive sports:

"We're 3-3, (and) our record says we're an average football team,” Ben Roethlisberger said after a 31-10, big play-driven loss Sunday, the Steelers' largest margin of defeat against their rivals in a quarter-century. “It's still early, but we've got to get some things fixed.”

There's so much that needs fixin', their next waiver wire pickup might be TV handyman Bob Vila. The Steelers' second loss of 20 points or more in six weeks revealed flaws that never get corrected, repairs that never get made, breakdowns that keep occurring.