1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

NEW OT RULES

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by truckin9999, Mar 28, 2012.

1. truckin9999

truckin9999 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    [attachment=0:3ipnrm02]ot rules.jpg[/attachment:3ipnrm02]

Adam Schefter also reporting :

Pushing back trade deadline from week 6 to week 8 was tabled until May. More discussion with NFLPA needed.
    All turnovers now will be subject to review like scoring plays. No coaching challenged will be needed.

Attached Files:

2. truckin9999

truckin9999 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Steelers only team to vote against expanded automatic replay review on turnovers..LOL

Steelers proposal that would ban horse-collar tackles on QB while in the pocket, does not pass.

3. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    I knew the playoff OT rules would be brought to the regular season! Good move. Also I think it would be cool if they did push the trade deadline to week 8...halfway through the year. I really hope the auto replay stuff doesnt take over the game. They did good with the scoring reviews and rarely even had to stop anything. Hopefully they're just as good/quick with the turnover one.

4. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Automatic review on all turnovers? WTF! Just play football. Next thing you know we won't have any officials on the field except for one guy with a headset on being told where to set the freaking ball. Un-friggin-believeable.

5. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    Wow... I had not even heard of the automatic review of turnovers even being brought up as a possibility, before this.
    I guesssss it`s a good thing.... I dunno... Seems like on a lot of fumbles, at least at the line of scrimmage, or in a pile, the replay would prove inconclusive, so they would go with what the ref`s originally called.
    Does this lead to more of the refs calling/not calling things, based on the possibility of review?
    Also, kinda takes away from the value of the limited challenges the coaches have, if they never have to use one on a turnover...or.... on the flipside, lets them save them for other occasions.
    Not sure whether I`m really in favor of it, or not.
    In a perfect world, where the reviews didn`t slow down the pace of the game, and always guaranteed the correct outcome, I would be in favor, but we all know that the replay system already isn`t perfect, and DOES slow the flow of the game down.
    I kind of like forcing the coaches to use a challenge, if they believe it`s worth it, otherwise, play the game, and trust that the refs make mistakes in favor of both teams, enough, to even it out.

6. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I think any time they increase the use of instant reviews, it is an excuse for a ref not to make a call or not do whatever they can to make the right call.

7. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    This new review of TO rule will probably add 30 minutes to every game and create more chances for the athletes to sit and get cold and could contribute to more injuries. How is this rule good for the game or going to help player safety? This is ridonkulous.

8. ScottChab

Oct 17, 2011
    It'll also allow players to get a few extra minutes of rest, shake off minor injuries and make quick equipment repairs that would have otherwise kept them out for a play.

Regardless of what it does, I don't like it.

9. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Agreed.

There's also a sense - and I'm aware this isn't the best argument in the world - that it kills a certain "magic" of those great moments in games. I'm thinking in particular of the end of the Cards superbowl, when Holmes' TD was reviewed (and then when Cards fans moaned that the Harrison TD and the Woodley sack weren't reviewed). Sometimes moments just need to happen, and that's what makes them great moments. And if they're frustrating moments, then that's what sport is about for us fans. The addition of reviews in some cases leads to the idea that every call is contestable, and that can take away from the moment.

Imagine what it would have been like at the immaculate reception - Steelers fans all ready to storm the pitch in absolute ectsacy, before, they stop and think "hang on, best wait for the ref to go under the hood for ten minutes. Then we'll storm the pitch."

Meh, not sure if any of that makes sense at all, actually.

10. spleeny09

spleeny09 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    The truth is it will allow the NFL to show more commercials which puts money in the NFLs pocket as well as the owners pocket...same reason why the ref on the field gets to continue to run under the hood for his review rather than speed the game up by allowing an official in the booth to make the call more quickly. Commercials are outrageous as it is...now there will be more. Its all about the money...screw the fans

11. ScottChab

Oct 17, 2011
    All scoring plays are reviewed in the booth, wonder if they'll do the same thing with turnovers?

12. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't necessarily mind either rule change. I do hope that they won't blow a questionable play dead when there's a turnover though. If a team recovers a fumble and advances the ball 30 yards that should be allowed to stand, not bringing the ball to the spot of the turnover.

Does anyone know if they passed the vote to alter IR? They said on NFLN that it was under consideration to have an 8 week and a full year IR. I think this could really help teams out of a player gets injured early on in the year.

13. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    This will slow the game down even further which is exactly what the NFL was against not too many years ago. What's next, automatic play stoppage to review close sideline plays to make sure both feet were in? Is there even any need for two coaches challenges anymore? Why bother if most of the plays are reviewed in the booth? It's bad enough having every scoring play reviewed, even the totally obvious ones. Now an obvious fumble or int will stop the game as well. Yes it may not be a long delay but multiplied by every one and then add in the scoring reviews, not to mention "commercial timeouts", and there's a lot of down time during a football game. Before you know it, it will be more like baseball....or soccer. :thumbsdown:

14. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    You may have to explain that one to me - basbeall I get, but soccer has no timeouts or advert breaks (except at halftime)... and no instant replay, at the moment.

15. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    Soccer? What is that? Never heard of it...

16. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I need an explanation too. I wonder if the complaint is that baseball and soccer has long periods with no or little action and that maybe the OP finds this 'boring', like waiting for a replay ruling.

It's funny, I do a lot of work internationally, Europe/ Brazil. To say they love soccer passionately is an understatement, but most of them that follow or understand it like NFL too. But one comment they all make, is they have a hard time getting used to the start/stop nature of American football. A play runs for 5 seconds, and we spent the next 30 seconds setting up the next one. They find the large amount of 'dead time' boring. So I guess it depends on what you're used to.

17. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    Thigpen... That makes perfect sense to me. :applaud:
    I get where you`re coming from.
    Also, "human error", is part of the game, and makes it exciting as it happens, and gives fans good stuff to talk/complain about after the fact.
    The ref`s are going to make mistakes. As long as they aren`t showing favoritism, to one team, or the other, by calling things like holding, or pass interference, for instance, against one team, but not the other, then it usually evens out in the end.
    Kinda like an ump in baseball, who CONSISTENTLY calls the strike zone, wider or narrower than others. The pitchers from both teams can adapt, as long as they know it`s consistent.
    That`s probably not a good example of "taking away from the magic of the moment", but it does apply to how certain ref`s call a game.
    I agree, with the general idea, that using too much replay, takes away from the excitement, and authenticity, of the game.
    If they were serious about getting every play, and spot of the ball right, by replay, it could probably be done.
    For example, do we REALLY not have a better way to spot the ball now, than the "chain gang", in this era of laser beams, and gps technology?
    But it would slow the game down a ridiculous amount, and make it quite boring to watch.
    After all, part of what fires us up as fans, is when we can feel the "us against them", thing... That these dirty bums are screwing us over with bad calls...
    Take all that out of the game, to try and make sure every play is officiated correctly, and you lose some of the "essence of the game", IMO.
    They are already doing their best, to take the violent hitting out of it, (which I have a problem with), now, they wanna make sure EVERY play is refereed perfectly?!?!
    Ain`t gonna happen, even with replay, especially with the way it is used now.
    They STILL get it wrong from time to time...
    Just let `em play!!! Let `em line up and knock the snot out of each other, and let the chips(and bodies) fall where they may!!! :herewego:
    And... While we`re at it, can we just get rid of the damn announcers, and hear the sounds from the field, already?!?!
    I would much rather hear the players/coaches/crowd, than the guys in the booth! :shrug:

18. spleeny09

spleeny09 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    sorry for the double post earlier...first time ever I posted on a Motorola Zoom. Im pretty sure I didn't hit submit twice and not too sure why it posted twice....anyway...sorry.