1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

New OC will still be throwing it!!!!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Badboy212, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Badboy212

Badboy212 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I know some of you still believe this team will resort back to the "days of old" and turn to the running game again b/c of the upcooming change at the OC position. Well, I hate to break it to ya, but it wont happen!!!!!!!! We have a QB that has some good years left if he doesnt get killed first, and we have three WR's that wont sit happily and calmly watching the team pound it out for four quarters. You heard it here first

2. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I know that. I think most of us know that. We just want better situational playcalling.

3. 7+83=7

7+83=7 Active Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think we know that we will throw....all teams are throwing...4000 yard guys everywhere....just not 5 reciever sets, bubble screens, and empty backfields in the redzone.

4. Tiny

Tiny Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    :amen:

5. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Even if that is true, if it is more effective throws, then I'll take it. For example, let's not have all the routes go 15 to 20 yards so that by the time they've run their routes Ben is already sacked. Or perhaps we could use our tightends and running backs more. A few less bombs. Maybe more high percentage throws on 1st and 2nd down so that we're not always in a 3rd and long situation.

I do think that there will a more of an emphasis on the run next year. We'll see if the team picks up a solid FB. A few runs on 3rd and short would be nice because that would keep that possibility there. Also, maybe that means less empty sets. Take advantage of play action. Screens. Etc. All this adds up to being more effective running and throwing the ball. Hopefully equating to more points per game, more rest for the D, more rings for Steeler Nation!

6. Somathus

Somathus Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011

Very few of us want that to happen. Do you actually read the posts here or just assume what they say. Of course we will still pass the ball. But Arians red zone play calling was terrible. Our offense should have averaged at least 5 more points a game. We need someone who doesn't enable Ben (whom I think is great btw)

7. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I dont know if thats true theres a lot of you that want to run the ball

8. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Exactly. With a QB like Ben and a WR corp and Miller, it would be ridiculous for the Steelers not to continue to throw the ball. That doesn't mean lining up for a 3rd and 1 with 5 wide and an empty backfield every single time though.

9. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I think you're going to see a lot of the same thing no matter who the new OC is, unless they get better quick on the o-line. This team isn't capable of putting up points or moving the chain by running behing Foster or Scott, it just isn't going to happen. If a true full back is going to be used they still need some blocking up front, all the full back would do if help with the hits 3 yards deep and that is only one defender, if the normal 3 defenders get in the backfield at the snap well it won't look much different. The series will be run for 2 yard loss, throw a short pass for 5 and 3rd and long and then hope the line holds up for Ben to complete the 14 yard pass downfield. The next series will be throw for 7 yards on first down, run the ball for a 3 yard loss on 2nd down and then 3rd and long and Ben gets sacked before the recivers break off their routes. What I just described is the reason they abandon the running game early, in oder to move the ball and avoid 3rd and longs, how many times this last season did we see them gain 7 or 8 yards on first down and end up punting because they tried to run and lost yardage? The new OC better be able to come up with plays designed to be executed without blocking, that is why normal screens don't work, we use the bubble screen as the TEs and recievers are more capable at blocking the defenders than the o-line.

10. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Everyone is way too focused on the Oline. A lot of short passes and a few tailback screen passes will significantly slow down a pass rush. Once you tire out the defenders who are rushing the passer, you can then impose your will as there is no pass rush. With the right playcalling and if Ben will get rid of the damn ball quicker, our Oline will be fine. It won't be great, but it can be average or better. Hopefully we will address Oline needs in the next couple drafts and in a couple years we'll have a great Oline again. In the meantime, playcalling and scheming can hide some of our weaknesses.

11. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    Couldn't much of the Oline problem also be attributed to the zone blocking scheme? Wasn't that Arians's idea? Maybe the new OC will prefer to use a different method?

12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    it's not so much throwing on 3rd and 1, but an empty backfield doesn't even give the defense the thought that we may run or could run it. :cool:

13. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Exacta-mundo :thumbs_up:

14. 4EvrH8O'donnel

4EvrH8O'donnel Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    If a new OC throws as much as Bruce he will have the same results with Ben. Its not likely to happen. BA was probably told that he would be retiring by Art Rooney II since Tomlin wasn't willing to do it. 2 years ago the same Rooney told Coach Tomlin that he needs to run the ball more (effectively). It didn't happen and this was the final straw that broke the camels back in BA's Steelers career. I doubt a new OC is going to come in here and be a gunslinger.

Personnaly, I hope it's a pound the rock up the gut and go off PA type of guy. Believe it or not I am now excited for next season to begin. If Arians stuck around I wouldn't have cared nearly as much about next year. It was getting tiresome watching his stupidity.

15. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Old news. Teams have been throwing it for over 70 years.

16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    And you don't want to ever run the ball?

17. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    :applaud:

This is what it all comes down to for the new dude. I couldn't care less about our run/pass splits as long as we put points on the board and win ballgames without having to rely on our defense holding teams to under 10 points. Key to all of that is situational playcalling, which our offense under BA never seemed to grasp.

18. lersgofor7

lersgofor7 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2011

tell that to the freaking guy in the thread up top who wants a fullback....whats next defensive halfback..blocking back...leather helmets...wing t....i hope some get my sarcasm

19. lersgofor7

lersgofor7 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2011
    not like it is being thrown around the last few

20. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Finally somebody gets it. Us antiques have watched to much football
    and we know what we see. A change was needed, here is hoping the new OC
    whoever that maybe, will understand the importance of the run game in the overall
    offensive sheme.

21. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Exactly!!We have too much talent on the offensive side of the ball to have to be continually bailed out by the defense.Return the favor now that the defense is struggling.

22. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    I think we all knew this team would still be throwing the ball. What we want is someone who knows when to throw and when to run. And someone who knows how to mix it up and confuse defenses. Take what the defense is giving you. Attack their weaknesses. If Arians could have done what he did in the cheatriots game, maybe he'd still be employed.

23. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Sorry but the short routes and the outlet passes were always there. Whether or not Ben chose to utilize them is another thing. I'm cautiously hopeful the new OC will be better at changing his mind about that.

24. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    If Ben still refuses to throw to his TE or RB who is wide open in the flat because he wants to hit Wallace 50 yards down field, then I hope the new OC tells Ben that he will not call any more plays that have a deep route in them. From now on, every WR in the play will be running 10 yards at most until he smartens up. Or we're going to run the ball 60-70% of the time until Ben smartens up. It may affect us negatively short term, but it's a means to an end. Ben needs to change for the better of the team. He's been allowed to do whatever he wanted the last 5 years and that's not okay. If Tom Brady can't do whatever he wants why the hell is Ben allowed?

25. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011

Well isn't that the job of the coach? To emphasize taking the outlet receivers? Yes, Ben had the ball in his hand, but if every time he went back to the sideline the coach said, "Dammit Ben you should have dumped it off and we would still have the ball" at some point Ben would change. With BA, when Ben made it to the sideline, you could just imagine him saying, "That route would've opened up if you only did...." How could there have been a direction from the coaching staff to take the outlet receivers?

Consider this, against the Ratturds in '10 on Monday night, Mark Sanchez didn't throw the ball more than 3 yards beyond the line of scrimmage. The entire Jets fan based showed up that night thinking they were going to ride the momentum of the championship game run the previous year to a Superbowl win. With the ball in Sanchez's hands with a chance to win the game during the last drive, the entire fan base was quiet. They were stunned, they thought their season was over week 1 with the Pats coming next week. Then what happened? Brian Schottenheimer allowed Sanchez to open up, he threw the ball down the field and beat the Pats. My point is, maybe Ben was just doing what his OC was telling him to do. And maybe :praying: the new OC will develop a better game plan that is more efficient.