1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

New Covid Protocol

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Seven4Steel, Jul 22, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    NFL informs clubs that COVID-19 outbreaks among unvaccinated players could lead to forfeited games

So if unvaxxed players have an outbreak, their team will be heavily punished financially and given a loss, no rescheduling.

But...if vaxxed players have an outbreak, the teams won't be held accountable.

First, why did it take them an entire season to figure out that games will be impacted by outbreaks and that forfeting games is the right thing to do?

Second, this is a very strong statement from the NFL regarding the effectiveness of the vaccines if they had to build in a contingency plan for if/when vaccinated players acquire it.

Then there's this: "According to Thursday's memo, vaccinated players or staff who test positive and are asymptomatic can return to duty after two negative tests 24 hours apart. For non-vaccinated persons who test positive, the 2020 protocols remain in place, requiring a 10-day isolation."

This makes no sense to me whatsoever. If you're vaxxed and test positive, your antibodies and incubation period isn't going to be different than someone not vaxxed. What am I missing?

I mean, I know the NFL is doing all this to push teams to push players to get vaccinated. But at least make your policies make sense.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Nothing to do with how we've handled Covid makes sense. What if a completely vaxxed team has an outbreak? Will they reschedule?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    It just hit me...what happens if there's a mix of vaxxed/unvaxxed? Tomlin was bragging about the compliancy of his players, but what if there's a mixed outbreak? We're at 85% as of about a week ago, but how many players does that leave? 15? 20? And even at the 53 man roster, that's still around 8 guys who could be in the mix of an outbreak.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    The article says that they will go easy on the teams if vaxxed players have an outbreak, but they don't anticipate adding a week. They will, however, potentially reschedule games impacted by vaxxed outbreaks. That means that the Steelers are one of the most likely teams to suffer rescheduling...again.

5. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Such Bs, I have already seen players coming out against this new rule

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Heard this a bit earlier on ESPN radio. If it comes down to an unvaxed player causing a game to be forfeited, and teammates losing their pay that week, well it won't be a fun time for that player. With you on this being a push, plus with the potential loss of income getting those in the locker room to push as well.

7. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Good. I support this. If a player does not want to get vaccinated then they should sit out the season.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    I get that. The unvaxxed offending team will be financially responsible for pretty much the entire ball of wax when the game is cancelled, not to mention getting an automatic L on their record, as well as the team not getting paid for the game. It's a BIG penalty. Very big. Huge.

My point, as it was a year ago, is that the NFL still isn't prepared for this. If 10 vaxxed players come down with it, and ONE unvaxxed gets it, does that mean that the unvaxxed gave it to the vaxxed? Nope. But will the team get penalized simply because one unvaxxed got it? I just don't like the gray area the NFL leaves on the table, as usual.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    :facepalm:

And how does that help anything?

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    What? It does not violate anyone's freedom. The NFL is free to setup whatever rules they want, players are free to choose to follow those rules or do something else. See, everyone is free.

11. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    The NFL isn't mandating this. They are not telling players they have to get vaccinated.

12. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Correct. They are telling everyone though what happens when there is an outbreak of unvaccinated players though, which they are free to do.

13. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Hopefully it encourages players to get vaccinated.

14. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    Even though there's as much likelihood of vaccinated players getting it.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

So comply or be punished, ??

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    There isn't though. 97% of COVID hospitalizations are unvaccinated and 99% of COVID deaths are unvaccinated. Those are overwhelming numbers that show vaccinations work.

Vaccinations are not 100%, none of them are. However, the numbers are clear that the likelihood of getting COVID after getting vaccinated is minimal and even if you do get it, the severity of the illness is usually minor.

The NFL is smart to want it's employees to be vaccinated.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    It's a choice. The company has made the options clear to it's employees. Employees are free to comply with the company rules or move on if they don't like them. Just like any employee in any job.

• Like Like x 1
  18. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I don't think even 6 months ago anyone thought the possibility of people not wanting to get a vaccine was going to be an issue let alone as big of a push back as it has become. It was a foolish belief given normal vaccination debate why that didn't factor in I have no clue

19. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

So if a vaccinated player catches it, , they look the other way, but if a unvaccinated player catches it, its OHH GOD LOOK WHAT YOU DOING TO OUR TEAM!!!... got it thanks :good:

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    It's an incentive to get players to get vaccinated. The more vaccinated employees, the less likely it is for a team to have an outbreak. The effectiveness of the vaccines are overwhelming.

The NFL wants to keep their product on the field without rescheduling or canceling, the best chance of that happening is with vaccinated employees.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    has to be better than rounding up the infected and shipping them to prison in Cuba right?

22. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    LOL No one is suggesting that either. People are free to not get the vaccine and there is not one thing the government can do about it, nor have they suggested doing anything about it.

I personally don't care who gets vaccinated. That is their personal choice. Just like setting rules is the choice of the NFL.

23. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    No there isn’t. That’s the point of vaccines.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  24. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    I'm talking about "likelihoods" and so are you. There are many of us who are asymptomatic and have gotten covid without even knowing. The severity of the illness is based on the individual more than the disease. But you've taken this away from the initial intent. I posted this regarding the implications to the Steelers, not to start a debate with you about how unvaxxed are pariahs.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Got it.

I think based on the number of players on the Steelers that got the vaccine that this should be okay for them. I thought I heard somewhere that they are the most vaccinated team in the league. Maybe the football gods will balance this year and they will get some wins from forfeits instead of the way they got screwed last year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.