1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

New Backup QB?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Bouben17, Feb 14, 2017.

1. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I hear you but BA does not walk on water, I am not gonna stick up for what Barkley has done cause it don't look good. What I am saying is side by side how much of a drop off to LJ is he if any, also coming to a better team/offense has to be a plus and remember I am talking at signing him for less money.

Many people thought Batch was washed up, **** speaking of that how about Tommy Maddox coming here and looking good for a season, or even Lefty? Coming to a solid team can change you and help you, imo. I mean look at the Cheats everyone thought Mallet was the next big thing, how did that work out. Look at them this year they went through 3 QB's one a rookie and did well. Are we the Cheats no but he are a stable team with veteran leadership up and down this line up and coaching staff.

Sorry I just don't see LJ being worth 3 mil, he has not showed be he can step in and be all that. And yeah he has shown improvement each year but over 4 years christ I would hope so, he is not that much better then the avg joe so when we have ZM at 700k why pay 3 mil???? Of course this is all JMO :smiley1:

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Don't know how you say we are screwed short term when we've made the playoffs 2 years in a row with Ben missing time. One of which doesn't happen if LJ doesn't win that game against Arizona 2 years ago. That's worth three million to me.

You want to pay dirt cheap for a BU but how do you know what you'll get? Pay crap get crap more than likely.

And it is peanuts, realitively speaking. There is absolutely no way that LJs 3 million, if he even gets that, would prevent them from signing a FA they want.

3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    to win now you keep together the team and player that has been in the system for 5 years (if we sign him back). the guy that has only learned this system and knows the players and coaches and the abilities of those other players if you need to win a game or two in the middle of a season. saving a million dollars to lose a couple of games would be a shame. LJ is the best bet as we stand right now and it would be worth it even if he never sees the field. the one game he won did make a difference this year and last year. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Sorry I just don't see LJ being worth 3 mil, he has not showed be he can step in and be all that. And yeah he has shown improvement each year but over 4 years christ I would hope so, he is not that much better then the avg joe so when we have ZM at 700k why pay 3 mil???? Of course this is all JMO :smiley1:

And Barkley only has 6 starts in his 4 year career, not much to gain with him here at any price he threw 5 picks in week 16 against the skins, LJ has more wins in his 4 starts and he was playing with backups in his win over the browns, so if LJ signs a new contract here get ready to be shocked because he will get paid a lot more than you all think he is going to get, and you all talk about Batch a lot, but he started 48 games with the lions and had much more experience than most of the back ups in FA this year, so trying to compare him to a 4 start QB is a little ridiculous.....

5. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    hoyer may be the only guy i would consider adding. his only big contract was with houston and he was cut a year later saving nearly half of that for them. most of his career he has made around the 2 million range. i think this is about where LJ may fall. 2-2.5 range. :cool:

6. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    See this is what I hate about message boards, people talking back and forth and making me rethink my opinions........I will not admit my opinion is changing but I will see this has made me think a little more.

My disagreement is this, you have no idea you are gonna get a bad back up. Let's take Gabbert for example, he is still young has a ton of experience as a starter. He kinda reminds me of Batch in terms of how him play went down. He went to a total **** hole in SF, sorry that was just a bad situation. Put him here for say 4 years in this offense does he level out and let the talent he once had show? You and I don't know if he will be better or worse then LJ, right?

As far as the 3 mil that may go to LJ not being a problem in FA that my friend is a wait and see game. The Steelers are historically not a big FA team but We have a lot of guys in house we have to take care of and we usually add a guy or two on the cheap in FA. I love the shape we are in with our cap but I am not that in love to shell out 3 mil on LJ. jmo

7. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    And that is why I posted what I did about the 3 names we were talking about. Go back and read it you will see......

8. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I would be fine with Hoyer like Elvis mentioned. I always thought he'd be a good backup.

9. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    For some reason I remember hoyers 6 pick game which sticks in my mind, dont want him stinking this team up..........

10. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    What makes you think a guy like Barkley is going to be cheap? 3 million for a backup isn't that much just keep Landry, he could help the team get through a 2-3 game stretch if Ben was injured.

11. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Aaron Rogers has had 3 in a game, Brees has had 5 in a game and Ben has had 4 in a game as well as Brady 4 in one game. Everyone has a bad day. I wouldn't write off a guy for that. Fitzpatrick had 6 INTs last year too. But I'd be happy with Fitz too as a back up.

12. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I don't that's why I said this:

Matt Barkley 26 years old, Another one here who has been on a bad team but a stat that stuck out to me is of his 4 starts he threw over 300 yards twice. Still young and has shown talent again another one I feel is all about the money.

Also we keep talking about LJ for 2-3 games which tell me nobody has a hope long term for him. With that said if there is no hope long term why not try another QB and hope he turns into something? This all comes down to if you feel Barkley could step in and win a game for us, I do and it is more about our team and our system then the QB. I think we are topped out with LJ, I don't feel if in week 10 Ben goes down for the season that we can win the rest of the way with LJ, jmo. Now with that thinking why spend the damn 3 mil on him when we can go cheaper and maybe better?

I am not trashing on LJ I just feel we seen his all and there is no upside. I guess I am willing to go cheaper and hope to find talent like we did with Batch and Lefty. I can see your guys point with keeping LJ, paying him the 3 mil and hoping for the best with Ben. We are in a win now 2-3 year window I get it but I am not sold on LJ and I am not on the Barkley bandwagon either, he is just a name I threw out as an option. To be honest with you I have zero problem staying with ZM as out #2. jmo

13. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Really? The 6 pick game that never happened? Other than that one playoff game with 4 ints, he had no games the past 2 seasons with more than 1 int. That playoff game was a debacle, but he had ZERO support from anyone on the Houston offense and was brutalized by the KC pass rush. He's never had more than those 4 ints in a game in his career.

14. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I would sign Josh McCown...let Landry walk...and draft a late project in Brady Gustafson

HACK

15. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I like McCown a lot. His age is a bit concerning, but he didn't seem like a 37 year old player last year.

16. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Just need him to be ready for 2 games a year.

HACK

17. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    Maybe it was 4 picks with two fumble turnovers, he was on our roster as a backup in 2012 for a 3 week stint:

WIKI:
    On November 20, 2012, Hoyer signed with the Pittsburgh Steelers after injuries to starting Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and backup Byron Leftwich within a week of each other. He served as the backup to Charlie Batch in Weeks 12 and 13 against the Cleveland Browns and Baltimore Ravens respectively. He was released on December 8, 2012.

18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    we should have kept him then but BA swooped in and claimed him.:cool:

19. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    I want to see Ben compete for the QB spot. B ring in a possible replacement.

20. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    In just about every start he had Barkley threw 2-3 ints, no thanks.

21. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    As strange as it seems, Johnny Manziel has rehired his agent and wants to get back on an NFL team again, and the word from the combine is he is drawing real interest from some teams, that tells you just how lousy this quarterback draft class is.........

22. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Manziel is not half bad he shows he can play without practice and playing drunk..If he would stay straight and work hard he could be a good NFL QB..

23. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I'm cool with Landry Jones if they can lock him up for like 4 years. It would be nice to have a QB for a year or 2 after Ben retires. That knows the system and can compete while we groom our next QB. I think we can all agree Landry Jones isn't leading us to a Super Bowl but he'd at least make Sunday watchable and I'd agree he's better than 80% of the back-ups out there. I don't really get a 2 year deal but then again what they could save a couple million for a QB that has to learn the organization? It's not worth it.

24. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Lord no. Our offense isnt remotely tailored to him and overall a poor QB.

Agree with Hodge 100%, he's 6th rd talent.

25. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    No I don't want him now,, at one point I thought he could be straight and learn his craft ..I was eluding to making a NFL QB for a Team who have poor ones....In the new NFL with more spread and empty stuff I would like our future QB to be much bigger than Manziel....