1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Nelson given permission to seek trade

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by uncblue012, Mar 19, 2021.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    dJ has the quickness off the snap, just like AB. He gets open quickly. Both did. That's what they use as opposed to long speed. Washington if you notice can out muscle defenders because he has too. They are usually close. He or juju or claypool have the quickness dj has off the line. That's why the ball gets there fast. He's open fast. Small window in the pros. What is covered in college is open in the nfl.:cool:

2. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Yeah I don't see it looking at his target percentage.

He's simply underutilized. When he has been thrown to he has shown up.

They're not utilizing him enough

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    I don't always agree with Glenn, but when I do I prefer...(actually I prefer Corona)

Where was I going with this? Oh yeah. The fact that no one even offered a 7th round pick for him pretty much proves Glenn correct

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I didn’t necessarily mean that in a bad way.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    It's alright...I just like fool around ;)

6. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    No worries on my end brother.

• Like Like x 1
  7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Hell with target. He hardly was on the field.

8. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Alas, he should've been

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Again it comes back to Fichtner not utilizing his players to the best of their abilities. Ben liked that personnel grouping, liked the 3Wr, 1TE, 1rb set and the 4Wr set. They should have been running opposing teams secondaries deep with Washington and Claypool and letting Juju and Dj work the middle or Ebron the seam. Tire them out make them choose single coverage on Claypool and Washington or leave the possession guys to rip holes in their zones. 2 yard dump offs and bubble screens are not the way to go.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    I blame Ben more than anyone. Ever since Washington was criticized by Ben in 2018, he’s been in Ben’s doghouse. Remember how productive he was when Rudolph and Duck were throwing to him?

https://archive.triblive.com/sports...isberger-calls-out-james-washington-for-drop/

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Washington doesn’t get open nearly as consistently as Johnson. Washington just doesn’t create separation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm so confused. Am I a crumb or a sandwich?

• Like Like x 2
  13. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    You'll be what you're told

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    And if he stays healthy. Depth may be razor thin next season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    why offer anything? If any team was interested they knew that the steelers would cut hm. So just wait for him to be cut. I don't think he's gotten much interest at this point but I could be wrong

• Like Like x 1
  17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You don't see it because you don't want to see it. The target percentage has nothing to do with my point. The ball doesn't got to Washington as much because he doesn't get open.

18. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Fichtner should have, but once it became apparent the line could not hold past 2.3 seconds and Ben's throws of 20 yards were muffins the D simply had to load 8-9 in the box. I agree with you strategy, but you still need the line, a QB able to produce and even a somewhat decent run game to produce on that threat..we had none of the above.

19. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    I agree with you but to be fair he also isn’t running as many routes or on the field as much. Which could go back to the point he’s not getting open as much thus why he isn’t playing as much.

20. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Nah I have no love affair with James Washington. It is your belief that he has been unable to get open with no data to support it.

When plays are drawn up to get him the ball, he's generally delivered. Plays are not being drawn up for him though. He's a 3rd or 4th option after thought. We do see this is the case mostly for Dionte, JuJu, and Ebron.

What we also see is a high drop percentage with two of those.

They simply need to draw up more plays for James Washington.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Out of the WR’s, both JuJu and Claypool had surer hands than Washington and you aren’t sitting DJ to get him more snaps because he is among the best at getting separation in the league.

I think the pecking order is exactly right, I don’t think they are sitting a superior talent in Washington, there’s just better players in front of him.

I like the roll they have for Washington, comes up with some clutch catches when they need them.

22. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/2146188/james-washington

As the article says, James Washington was put on the back burner for players like Dionte Johnson and Chase Claypool. With Ebron's focus in offensive gameplan also, the odd man out was James Washington.

With the drops of Dionte becoming more of an issue, James Washington got more playing time and overall delivered although not setting the world on fire. He has a respectable catch percentage though and contends for catches about as good as any of the WR on this roster.

I agree Juju is the most sure handed player on the team. Not as sure about Claypool but he did a good job while in.

My whole point is regarding the WR room not being a needed position to bringing back Schuster. On a budget deal I'm good with it if they don't leave gaping holes elsewhere in the roster.

I don't believe James Washington's really been given a shot and believe it's a waste of a second round pick.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Maybe Canada can get him more touches but its difficult. The people in front of him are better, not that Washington is bad but every team has a depth chart.

As for Claypool, he and Washington each had 4 drops but Washingtons came on half the amount of targets at 60.

It’s a good problem to have, deep WR group.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. THREE RIVER SHIVER

THREE RIVER SHIVER Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2017
    This was a Nelson thread......By the way , did he land anywhere yet?? aint heard anything.....

25. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    The problem I have Blast is like I said there were opportunities to use a 4 WR set where he could have forced more favorable matchups and they simply didn't use them.