1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Need Roquan Smith

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Blitz, Apr 6, 2018.

1. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    If you don't think DeCastro is of the best Guards in the NFL, you are missing out.

I sympathize with what Hack is saying, but as a NFL GM it is very difficult to pull the trigger on a big deal like that, especially at a non-QB position. Really put your job on the line if you miss.

2. TheMatrixHasYou

TheMatrixHasYou Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2018
    Is DeCastro one of the best? Yeah, but he's a guard. DeCastro is good, really good, and being really good will probably get him into the HOF but he's not a game changer. He's not going to win us a game on his own. I can't even remember any really fantastic plays he's ever made. He doesn't consistantly blow guys away.

Wasting six draft picks or more to move up to get a future HOF guard would greatly harm the team. Moving up has to be for a guy that fits a position of need so your team gets the most improvement.

3. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Is Bell putting up the same numbers without Pouncey and DeCastro.

I will always be amazed on how many people underestimate the impact of the interior Oline on both the run game and pass protection.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. TheMatrixHasYou

Mar 6, 2018
    Is Bell putting up the same numbers without Pouncey and DeCastro? Let me see your statistics.

5. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Is this a serious question?

6. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    @SteelCity_NB, I have been thinking the same thing a while now. Everyone keeps talking about Bells patient running style. Well he can afford to be patient because the blocking is so good. Let's see him wait in the backfield for a full second behind the Cleveland oline. Bell would lead the league in negative runs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. TheMatrixHasYou

Mar 6, 2018
    So you don't have any statistics and you just made it up?

8. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    So it is a serious question?

Bell would be as successful with Jim and Joe Schmo, rather than Pouncey and DeCastro?

I'm glad I've learned something today.

9. TheMatrixHasYou

Mar 6, 2018

Foster is undrafted.

So is Villanueva.

10. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Defensive tackle also does not often change games....would you have passed on Mean Joe Greene because you would have had to trade up?

My point is...if as a GM..you think you have a chance at a HOFer....you trust your scouting...and go get him. ILB is a position of need...a pretty large one....CB is also a position of need....go get him..... If a guy is THE GUY....I have no issue with the FO trading what they need to get him.

I have always been on the thoughts that you need to get 2 really good football players on draft day....just 2....if you get more than 2 really good players...great...but you have to get 2....most of the others can be replaced by midlevel free agents...because ultimately...thats most of what got drafted to begin with.

I target 2 guys that I WANT....and fill in the rest of the blanks with what I can find.

HACK

11. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Can't deny that.

Seems like you do agree with Hack though. Invest in some elite players and have undrafted guys everywhere else.

12. TheMatrixHasYou

Mar 6, 2018

That's perfect hindsight. We know Mean Joe Greene was great. We don't know who in this draft is going to the HOF or will be a bust 3 yrs from now or who might be just average.

You only go get the guy IF it doesn't break the bank. I don't mind giving our 1st and 2nd to move up a bit to get a guy but I really don't like trading away future draft picks.

You say we need to get 2 really good players in each draft? The 1st and 2nd round guys are going to stick for 2-3 yrs just because they were high picks. Play time isn't always because of real ability, Jarvis Jones had no talent whatsoever or he didn't really care whether he played well or not, either way, he shouldn't have been out there. We could have played an UDFA at ROLB and got the same production.

13. TheMatrixHasYou

Mar 6, 2018
    I don't mind moving up a bit but Roquan Smith is going to go too high.

I just don't like trading any future picks.

14. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Some years the cupboard is not as full as others and may be void of those HOF players especially if you are trying to fill a certain void as we have. So many kids come out early and it taints the quality at times. Sure they can all run and jump but don't have all the know how yet. There may be a handful of HOF players in a draft and others there may be two or three handfuls. Our scouts have changed and I think are still learning. The old guard is gone and relying on them is not as it once was around here. A GM better be sure before he mortgages the ranch for a HOF player under these conditions. Many things to determine in a draft class. :cool:

15. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    I hear ya. Neither do I. And I wouldn' trade up for Roquan anyways. Not with a chance of staying at #28 and getting Evans.