1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Need Roquan Smith

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Blitz, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2016
    Must trade up. I know its not typical. But he stands out to me as the singular player in the whole first round to crack the lineup and be an impact rookie. I would not mind it in the slightest

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  2. Mr.HammerZz

Mr.HammerZz Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2018
    He will be a star wherever he lands thats for sure! Very exciting player with a hell of a motor.

3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Wouldn't mind Edmund's either but both are doubtful for us. I just hope it's not Evans.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Can't argue with this. Only problem would be we would end up giving our 1st, 2nd and 3rd picks to get this done.

5. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    RoQuan Smith would be an instant plug n play player for every team; Pittsburgh or otherwise.

Issue is, those sort of players tend to be either top 10 to top 15. Would have to sell the farm to acquire him.

6. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Move up a little less and get LVE

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. TheMatrixHasYou

TheMatrixHasYou Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2018
    There is just no way.

The Philadelphia Eagles starting ILB's are Mychal Kendricks and Nigel Bradham. Kendricks they got in the 2nd round, Bradham was drafted in the 4th by Buffalo.

8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    They aren't one player away, so I wouldn't do it.

9. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Yeah its hard to get excited for the late round 1 guys...

Either trade up and get someone who will legit help us in a playoff run or trade back and get more picks in the 2nd and 3rd round.

10. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    It is funny to me to see posts like this to me. Smith is a great football player, but honestly I think we can get Malik Jefferson in the 2nd and their tapes don't look that different to me. Jefferson's issue is his "desire" to play, but that is why they brought him in for a visit. Many don't know it, but he was ranked ahead of both Smith and Edmunds coming out of high school. He has had bad coaching and some inconsistency, but the guy will be a player. I truly believe that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    I would give up my 1st and 3rd and a 2019 3rd to get Smith, because not only are we the Patriots whipping boy, we may also be Jacksonville's. If the Steelers are playing for a potential trip to the Super Bowl, they may have to rob Peter to pay Paul.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I may have had similar thinking but since Ben wants to play longer, I'm OK with not mortgaging the future for a guy this year.

13. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    I can understand not mortgaging the future, but the defense needs a difference maker, not just another good football player.

14. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I agree, but if they don't get one hopefully all the changes in coaching and player additions/departures adds up to a big difference. More cumulative in fashion but could be significant.

15. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    I hope so. I realize 2019 picks may be needed to replace Bell, so there's that also.

16. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    We're picking at #28. There may not be alot of difference makers available.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    That's why the Steelers need to considering trading up, to get a difference maker.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  18. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    In a perfect world, Jon Bostic ends up a star who just needed a change of scenery... :beg:

• Like Like x 1
  19. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Nonsense, they already don't have a 4th and 6th this year and you want to give up a 1st and 3rd to move up :facepalm:.

20. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    You convinced me since we already have traded our Antonio Brown pick this year and drafting a long snapper with last year's 6th round pick was so valuable. My opinion is go for it, but if you think the Steelers can contain Fournette this year with a lesser LB than Smith, I will respect your opinion. I do not expect the Steelers to trade up that far because it has not been their MO' its more wishful thinking.

21. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I think with the addition of Burnett, Bostic and a draft pick at safety and ILB, they would be better off containing Fournette. Addition by subtraction with the cuts of Mitchell, Spence, Gay and Golden will also help not having those stiffs on the field, and a healthier Tuitt.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    The draft should not be about quantity, but quality. If you think trading up will get you a Troy Polamalu, Ray Lewis, Ben Roethlisberger...... Well then IMO...you do it.

I would rather get 1 Troy Polamalu......In 2009 would you rather have Clay Mathews....or all these guys......Ziggy Hood, Kraig Urbik, Mike Wallace, Keenan Lewis, Joe Burnett, Frank Summers, Ra'shon Harris, AQ SHipley, David Johnson

Trust your scouting...if you think you can get the next Brian Urlacher, or Ed Reed......I really have no problem trading a bunch of scratch off lottery tickets for them.

HACK

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Not happening, when the Steelers got Troy they didn't need to get in the top 10 big difference :shrug:. One player isn't going to make or break this defense.

24. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    They gave up a 1,3,6 to move from 27 to 16 to get Troy.... looking back would you have hesitated to give up even more for a HOF player that shaped the Steelers defense for the next decade?

Its not always about being 1 player away next year... it's about the next 10 years.

If you think the guy.. is THE GUY... you make the trades

Hack

25. TheMatrixHasYou

TheMatrixHasYou Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2018

There isn't a Troy Polamalu in every draft.

And, even if there is a HOF in this draft it doesn't mean he fits a need. Let's say OG Quenton Nelson is a future HOF guy, we'd use all our picks this year and next year to move up to get him and he would barely be better than Foster. I mean DeCastro might make the HOF but he's not dominant, he's good, but he's not constantly blowing people away and making tremendous holes.