1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

NB Mock

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by SteelCity_NB, Apr 25, 2017.

1. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Just been experimenting with a couple of mocks. I'll have my full Round 1 mock and Steelers 7 round final mock on Thursday.

Here is my mindset:

We need an OLB early. We need to replace Deebo sooner rather than later.

We need another outside corner to play opposite Artie Burns.

We may need a slot corner. I would like to hold out hope that Senquez Golson turns it around but we can't operate under that theory.

I would like to add another S. Could we get away with Mitchell and Davis? Maybe. I think Davis can play either FS or SS which gives us flexibility when selecting a S.

I think we can get away with Vince Williams at ILB for this year. Evaluate his play in 2017 and make a decision at next year's draft.

We can certainly select a TE high but do we have enough options on offense already?

Have to assume Martavis is not in the current plans. Would love to have him but WR is a need until he is back and sober.

Either via draft or FA, we need a backup RB.

Oline is a strength for now. Just need to add depth down the road.

What about Ben? Only Ben really knows. I am hoping hope to avoid taking a QB early until 2019. I think Ben has 3 more seasons in him. He's still playing at a very high level.

Also, I have never advocated trading a future pick for one in the current year. I think this year may warrant just that. I, and many, had Sidney Jones as the Top CB and a potential Top 10 pick. His injury will drop him out of the 1st round but likely not all the way down to #62. I don't want to take him at #30 because that prevents us from taking an impact player for this year as Jones likely won't play this year. I would like to trade our 2018 1st round pick for a pick in this years draft somewhere in that #33 to #40 range.

So let's take a look at an option:

1. Budda Baker, S, Washington
    2a. Sidney Jones, CB, Washington
    2b. Derek Rivers, OLB, Youngstown St
    3a. Adam Shaheen, TE, Ashland
    3b. Cooper Kupp, WR, Eastern Washington
    4. Elijah Lee, ILB, Kansas St
    5. James Conner, RB, Pittsburgh
    6. Eric Smith, OL, Virginia
    7. Sojourn Shelton, CB, Wisconsin

We all need to acknowledge our secondary has issues. We need to fix that problem ASAP so these guys can start getting experience.

I think Baker can immediately start at slot corner and take over at FS over time. Jones will be a long term starter on the outside at corner when he returns. I think Derek Rivers can be a solution to rushing the passer. Great production and a great week at the Senior Bowl. Shaheen is drawing comparisons to Gronkowski and is the big athletic target Ben is looking for. Kupp was great at the Senior Bowl but ran a slow 40 time. Lee would serve more as a backup to Shazier. Conner, local kid, learns the ropes behind Bell. Need to add depth to the OL, Smith has played all over the line. Shelton could provide some CB depth.

I think we need a minimum of 3 DBs, but wouldn't take issue with 4.

We need to take an OLB in the first 2 rounds.

Because of the Martavis uncertainty, I think we need to take a WR. If the right TE is available I would grab one as well although it is a luxury. I'd like 1 body on the OL. If we don't take a RB in FA we will need to draft one. Cheaper option anyways. I'd like to add an ILB into the mix too but I wouldn't go too high this year.

How does this look?

2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Are you under the pretext that Jabrill Peppers will not be in play at 30? In addition Budda is an excellent slot/safety hybrid but we need a safety/linebacker hybrid for Tomlin to complete his Cover 2 Tampa 2 Nickel.

A player who can play the "deep hole" that is the most crippling weakness of the Cover 2 will yield to better production on the defense. Jabrill or Obi (if available) will do the job.

Regarding the rest of the mock, I do not mind selecting Sidney Jones like others do. Who would not like a top 15 pick in the second? It would be like Myles Jack (albeit a waiting game) all over again.

3. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    For this exercise I did assume Peppers would be off the board. Before the diluted Sample I never thought Peppers would fall to us. Given that sample it's probably a little closer to 50/50.

If he was there I would take him. I love Budda, who I believe will definitely be there at #30.

If we could get Peppers at #30, and given the Martavis reinstatement news, I would not select a WR in round 3 and would likely take another corner there instead. Maybe somebody like Shaquille Griffin from Central Florida.

4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

! Oh!

If Peppers is off the board by then I do not mind Budda as much either. My only question is who is going to play the hybrid role for the "deep hole" in the Cover 2 because having Sean Davis doing so will stymie his development; not something the Steelers want given year two is where they receieve their biggest boosts from not just an acclimation standpoint but conformity one as well.

5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Josh Jones could play that hybrid role, take him in the second round.

6. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Just ran the simulator on fanspeak. Pretty interesting.

1. Obi Melifonwu, S, UCONN

I like this pick. I thought there would be more concensus that he is a true 1st round pick. Never thought he would fall but maybe it's possible. Most of my favorite targets were off the board. It was between Obi, Takk and TJ.

2. Cordrea Tankersley, CB, Clemson

Artie Burns clone. Was surprised to see him available but it is possible. Gambled that I could get Rivers in the 3rd so I took the corner that is high on my list.

3a. Derek Rivers, OLB, Youngstown St

My gamble paid off. This is where I would like to get Rivers.

3b. Desmond King, S/CB, Iowa

I would doubt in real life that King will be available in this spot. Would probably have to take him in Round 2. In this situation I would bring him in to play the nickel.

4. Jake Butt, TE, Michigan

Was hoping to get Gerald Everett here but I just missed out. Butt is a solid TE but I'm not sure he's any better than The Outlaw.

5. Jarron Jones, DE, Notre Dame

While I do like Jones as a 5 tech, I just narrowly missed out on all my targets in Elijah Lee, James Conner and Ejuan Price.

6. Brandon Wilson, CB, Wilson

This was more of a value pick. He would either have to beat out Cockrell and Sensabaugh or its to the PS.

7. Ben Boulware, ILB, Clemson

Pretty much what we have in Metakavich but he was by far my BPA. Highly decorated and a winner.

7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I just had one on fanspeak where I got Watt in the 1st, Josh Jones in the 2nd, and then in the 3rd Curtis Samuel and Jourdan Lewis. That was using the fanspeak board, which seems to produce some odd results. id take it though!