1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

NB initial thoughts

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by SteelCity_NB, Feb 17, 2021.

1. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Returning from my hiatus following the Browns playoff loss. Disgusting to even write that.

Kept an eye on the Senior Bowl. Lamenting no Combine. Tougher evaluation year with all the opt outs and transfers .

Just some initial, high level thoughts:

Vehemently opposed to QB in Round 1. Top 5 guys will be gone and I'm not chasing a Jamie Newman who looked terrible at the Senior Bowl. Keeping an eye on Trask, who looked good against Bamas defense and was handcuffed in his Bowl game with all his playmakers out. If he's still there in Round 2, something to think about.

I know we may have bigger needs, but I am still looking at RB in Round 1, specifically Najee Harris. I think he could be our Derrick Henry in the future. Let's build our offense around a strong running game as Ben phases out.

We will need a C and an OT within the first 4 rounds. You can go C later on but I would look at the Bama Center in round 2 or some of those OTs in Round 2 as well.

Another position which we could look at high is a LB. I'm comfortable with Watt and Highsmith as starting OLBs so I'm more looking at inside.

Certainly JOK is on the radar but I think he will be gone. Zaven Collins should definitely in play in the 1st. The Tulsa LB was a monster last year. Could actually be a hybrid ILB/OLB.

We should round out the roster with a SS and CB as well and maybe a late round WR that seems to work well for us too.

Still digging into some film. Great to be back. Let's get after it.

• Like Like x 5
  2. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    No specifics yet.......

I hope Ben retires..... we ride with Mason to see if he can lead this team...... if not next year we’ll be able to draft our next Franchise QB......

This year 1st rd OT.... 2nd rd center, 3rd rd RB, 4rd onward..... BPA regardless of position.....

I really want to see our OL rebuilt..... we have the WR and need a RB...... with all this Mason should be able to lead us to the promise land......... if he can’t we’ll be kinda like Indy: A strong team needing a QB and at this point we should be able to get one.

Cajun

3. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    I agree NB, if Harris is there the Steelers need to draft him. Go center in 2nd round, if there is one worth drafting. O-line would survive with Chuks at LT, Dotson at LG, rookie C, DeCastro and Banner on the right side. A healthy Banner and Dotson should improve the run game. The Steelers ran the ball well in Banner's only start last year. The challenges will be getting Ben under center and using more play action. Ben is pretty good from the shotgun at finding the best match up. But he needs to deliver the balls on target better and of course the receivers need to catch the ball.

• Like Like x 2
  4. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    This year's TSF mock draft is going to be interesting. There are a bunch of fans that want an OT. Some want a RB. A few want a QB. Several want to go defense. We will know more after the Steelers pick through the leftovers of free agency.

I see four major needs: RB, C, TE, ILB. I see three lesser needs CB, OT, OLB. It will be interesting to see what the Steelers can do before the draft.