1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Name change for Steelers ...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by LoneGranger, Aug 9, 2020.

1. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Good memories huh?

I grew up in Armstrong county an hour north of Pittsburgh and it was so remote we could only get 3 TV stations, but only one at a time. There was always a ladder leaning against the house so I could go up on the roof and turn the antenna to the position for the channel mom and dad wanted to watch.

But KDKA was on every evening no matter what we were doing.:drinks:

• Like Like x 1
  2. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Or, when you're perpetually mediocre then, one season, you spend a bunch of money on players like Schilling and Johnson, win the series then, get rid of the high dollar players

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I did that too and I often threw the ball 20 feet over the batters head:cool:

And then along came the Pens!

Trivia question........is there another city whose professional sports teams all adopted the same colors?

• Like Like x 1
  4. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Damn you, now I got to research that. I remember the PENS had those blue jerseys which I liked at first but was glad they switched to black and yellow.

5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Trivia question........is there another city whose professional sports teams all adopted the same colors?[/QUOTE]

I cheated and Googled

6. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Seattle?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
  7. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I cheated and Googled[/QUOTE]

And?

I really don't know, I just think it's cool that Pittsburgh did it and I can't think of anyone else off the top of my head.

8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    It’s called FA. Every team is guilty of buying championships in every sport under your definition.

Also, Schilling was acquired in a trade and Arizona didn’t jettison him and Johnson after winning the WS, it was Marlins that had a fire sale going from their whopping 53 million payroll down to 13 million. A cheap ass organization that went even cheaper.

9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Similar colors, but not exact

10. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I was looking at the new Seattle Kraken logo and it looks like they took the stylized S that the Mariners use for their initial logo offering.

11. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The Marlins did buy their first World Series. They brought in a bunch of high-price veterans through trades and free agency, won it all, then started gutting the team before the parade.

I bring up 2009 because the Yankees proved it is possible to buy a World Series. Rodriguez, Matsui, and Damon were a big part of the reason the Yankees already had the highest payroll in the game before they went on their spending spree in the offseason between '08 and '09. It's not as if any of those guys were homegrown talent. Matsui, for example, was in the final year of a four-year, $52 million deal in 2009, which was a big deal at the time. That team had three of the top four individual salaries in MLB in 2009 and three more in the top 25. Due to a quirk in his new contract, Sabathia was only 18th in the majors in salary in 2009. He jumped to second in the majors in salary in 2010, when the Yankees had the top four salaries in MLB. That team may not have one a World Series, but they were still paying for the championship the previous year.

12. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You have to put that number in context. In 1997, the Yankees had the highest payroll in MLB at $59 million. The Marlins were seventh. That also shows just how quickly salaries have skyrocketed. A team payroll of $53 million was among the highest in the game 23 years ago, but would have them at or near the bottom now. In fact, the Rays were dead last in MLB in team payroll at $53 million in 2019.

I already mentioned why people talk about the '97 Marlins buying a championship. They spent big before the season, and if I remember correctly, they really did start getting rid of the big contracts before the parade.

13. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Boy has this thread been hijacked.:hijacked:

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Kinda like championships in baseball or basketball.

:frown:

15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    No, they didn’t buy a WS. They signed Bonilla and Alou as FA’s and trades can’t be used as examples of buying championships. They were only going into their fifth season in 1997, it was more or less a team they were building those first five years. The sale the following year had more to do with the owner not getting his stadium paid for and bleeding money.

I didn’t say there were no examples of teams buying championships but if you look at the WS winners you can see its a myth that the team that spends the most money wins the WS. You can buy a payoff spot, the WS is a lot harder to do.

16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You lost me when you claimed that trades can't be part of a team buying a championship. When teams make trades that take advantage of another team dumping payroll, that is part of buying a championship.

My point is that teams can buy a World Series and that the deck is clearly stacked heavily in favor of the high-revenue franchises like the Yankees. I do realize that Yankee fans have a great deal of trouble accepting that argument.:)

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    There really weren’t any teams spending exuberant amounts of money yet in 97. Marlins were 7th with only a 47 million payroll, 6 teams after them were all in the same range. Two teams after that fell just shy of 40 million. I don’t consider 47 million an unfair advantage in comparison to the other payrolls.

Really, the only two teams that can be accused of “buying” championships is Yankees and Redsox, they far exceed other teams spending.

18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Funny because I thought we were debating Florida buying one :scratch:

No, trades are not part of buying championships, lol.

19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I just explained how they are. One way teams buy talent is by taking on large contracts. Take the Giancarlo Stanton trade. Sure, it hasn't worked out the way the Yankees would like due to his health issues, but that was all about money, not talent.

We are talking about teams buying championships. Those are both examples. The 2009 Yankees just happen to be the most blatant example of it in recent memory.

20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    And?

I really don't know, I just think it's cool that Pittsburgh did it and I can't think of anyone else off the top of my head.[/QUOTE]

Only Pittsburgh used the exact same colors for all 3 teams.

21. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    We haven't even got into selling world series championships. :eek:

Baseball...:hmm:

22. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    What the hell is this nonsense? :facepalm:

23. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Sexual frustration lol

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  24. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Puberty?

Troll?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  25. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    You got the thread back on track. Although I was the one who got it off track and on to the excitement that is pirate baseball:)

• Like Like x 2