1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Name change for Steelers ...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by LoneGranger, Aug 9, 2020.

1. STEELMAN_CA

STEELMAN_CA Member

Dec 31, 2018
  2. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Nailed it on the avatar. :bowdown:

• Like Like x 1
  3. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    But those teams had a decent or above average payroll when they won the WS. I sure the hell would not call Chicago a small market and I believe the Astros are in top 5 when it comes to payroll. Marlins and Royals flukes but if memory serves they had larger payroll when they won then ripped the ballclub apart.

4. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Yes. Hence, buying the WS.

5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I was at that WS, clinching game. Awesome experience. They largely won that WS because Arod finally showed up to the postseason. Also, Damon and Matsui played big rolls. I don’t think 1 WS in 20 years though really supports the theory that the highest payroll buys championships. It’s an argument Yankee haters have clung to for years.

I agree money buys you a postseason birth but thats where it ends because good pitching shuts down good hitting and all the offense in the world won’t change that.

Small market wasn’t the right choice of words but none of those teams can be accused of buying championships. You need to be around the 200 mark for that. Cubs now have the highest but not when they won, it was round 150 mil.

A list of winners in the last 20 years shows this argument doesn’t hold water. Redsox have had the most success with a large payroll, winning 4. Yankees 1. That’s 5 teams leaving 15 others winning with maybe slightly above average, average and below average payrolls.

• Like Like x 1
  6. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    But your original argument was that money can’t buy you a title. It clearly can. Marlins and Dbacks both did it. Won the series and then had a fire sale. Most teams can’t afford to do that. If your theory worked, it would be Dodgers/Yankees every year.

7. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    You can be cheap and occasionally compete in MLB. You can't be cheap and incompetent though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    You can be excessive & incompetent. The Pirates don't have to worry about that.

9. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    You can be excessive and have the other team cheat and steal your signs. See: Dodgers/Astros

10. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    MLB needs a salary cap!

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    No, that’s not my argument. My argument is that the team that spends the most money, like the Yankees and Redsox, clearly don’t win all the time. As I said, the list of WS winners over the last 20 years disproves this.

I don’t understand your point about the Marlins and Dbacks? When did they ever buy a championship? They are examples of low payrolls winning it all.

12. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Marlins in '97 dbacks in '01.

13. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Who is your team santeesteel, Padres? I've always liked the Reds & Orioles.

14. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    I don't really like baseball but, Dodgers!

15. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I miss the days of the Pirates being good! Growing up, the Pirates were on the radio in our house every night....except during dinner.

16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I think your definition of “buying” a championship is whats causing the problem. Marlins had a 53 million payroll, that’s not buying a championship.

Buying a championship is when you far outspend everyone else.

17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Now there is a flashback to my kid days, sitting on my grandfathers porch, listening to the Pirates on KDKA radio.

18. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    t_48924.jpg
    This is what pops in my head when someone says Pirates baseball.

19. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Is that Kent Tekulve? I remember that guy. Weirdest combination of pitch delivery and goofy facial expressions I’ve ever seen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey steel machine.

Absolutely as far as they are an "embarrassment". No doubt. Given that, I love the Pirates. I will always be dedicated to them; have been since 1970 as far as I can remember and I will continue too. I feel for them. They were once such a great and proud franchise. They are not even a shell of what they use to be. I remember when they won the World Series in 1971 and I went shouting down the street as a kid. They did it again in 1979. Again coming back from being down 3 games to 1 to the "tirds". I live in the "tird/rat" area and I love it. When I bring it up with those who remember, you should see the "anger" in their faces. "Shades" of Red that Crayola has not even invented yet (smile).

I can not pinpoint where the downfall all started. Yes, there were some good moments in the early 90's (Bonds, Bonilla and Van Slyke) only to be let down three years in a row. The same with the McCutchen era not too long ago. Now, there has not been too much to cheer about for the last decade or so. Oh well, I will never abandon my beloved Bucs. I love them and will always be dedicated to them. I actually was a baseball fan before any other sport. The Steelers followed very shortly after and then the Penguins. All three have brought me great memories up to this point in my life. Many, many great memories.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  21. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

About 20 years too late.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Yep. As a kid I would try to incorporate his submarine style into my pitching repertoire. I also remember Stargell's bat looping while waiting for the pitch.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Who will have more wins this season @steel machine , Steelers or Pirates?

24. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Well I am kicking a tiny bit of ass among the older fellows on the golf course so no doubt I'll beat the BUCS.

• Like Like x 1
  25. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Seeing Teke and Willie in this thread reminded me of that moment in game 7, 1979. O's were making a move and Teke comes in. Stargell walks over to him with a smile and told him something to the effect, he would pitch if Teke wanted him too. I always remember that I couldn't breathe and Stargell is out there joking around.

The 70's were an awesome time. Steelers and Pirates made the Burgh known big time in the sporting world and for this then young man the chicks were back pass the word the chicks are back. (I think that was from some old commercial, for what I'll never remember.)

• Agree Agree x 1