1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Najee’s 5th will cost 7 million

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Feb 24, 2024.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

I say it’s automatic they pick that up.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    AFR no they won't pick it up.

3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    the only trouble with that is they will have to pay warren a big jump by that time too. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I predict they do

I also predict he gets pissy pants about it the off season before his 5th year if he doesn’t get a new contract

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    [​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    What do you think Derrick Henry would cost us?

7. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    While his ypa has not been great and 1000 yards per year is not what it once was, he still has had moments behind a suspect line and horrible scheme. I guess you can roll the dice and try and find another back, but picking up the tag at that price is really not that bad, not sure I really look long term, but it gives you another year with a guy who has shown he can produce.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. forgotten1

Mar 4, 2022
    You left out idiotic coaching from top to bottom and shatty QBs oh and organizational failure.
    Other than that i let it play out w/o the option.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    He's definitely going to whine about it. He might even hold out. That said, cost certainty is a good thing and $7 million is reasonable for the player he has been.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. pczach

pczach Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2023
    I think they pick up the option.

Arthur Smith's offense calls for a powerful running back. Najee fits his scheme and what he likes to do. I just don't see them risking not signing Harris when they are trying to build an offense and see if a quarterback has what it takes. You want the weapons around the QB in that situation. It is the only way to completely evaluate the situation.

If they cut Najee Harris and Warren is the only proven RB, the whole thing can go sideways if there is an injury.

It just makes sense to have a runner that fits what Smith's offense is trying to do. If they managed to sign another proven veteran for less money, I suppose that could work. I just don't think they want to upset the apple cart on a situation that is working. There is a lot of turnover on the roster, and I think they will most likely keep the RB room the same.

• Winner Winner x 2
  11. forgotten1

Mar 4, 2022
    Give him the 7 mil and deduct 20k for every yard tackled behind the LOS

12. Huck Finn

Huck Finn Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2023
    Well that's not a "team positive no matter what" post. What's gotten into you?

13. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    They'll pickup the 5th year, unless they don't.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    This is a pretty good eval of the situation. The RB position is not as hightly valued in the era and the contracts certainly reflect that. There are some hightly paid, but teams as well go from a proven vet and find replacements fairly easily. The system as you mentioned fits Najee's style and that's a positive, it is also for only 2 years total (with the option) and it's not CAP breaking amount. Long term is another matter, is was not 'young' when he was drafted and will be entering the end of career phase ofr most RB's.

The CAP itself had a very positive raise this year, which might actually reflect that the option at that amount is a bargain, RB values might not grow as fast as other positions, but they will still grow.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Huck Finn

Oct 22, 2023
    If they knew they were leaning towards skipping the 5th year option, it wouldn't take all that high of a draft pick to ensure there was a RB who could pick up the slack with Warren. Of the best 2023 RBs, Ekeler was an undrafted player, Chubb was a 2nd rounder, Henry a 2nd rounder, Pollard a 4th rounder, Aaron Jones 5th round. Of course Warren was undrafted. You don't need a 1st round RB to replace Najee, he's about a middling RB to begin with. I know Art thought he was getting a Derrick Henry but he didn't. If Najee wants to throw a fit about not getting a big, large-term contract, let him walk, he's not that hard to replace. His career ypc is still only at 3.9. And no, that's not just because he is the starting RB playing on 1st and 2nd downs, plenty of RBs do and achieve a much better ypc than 3.9. His longest rush was still only 25 yards last season. Derrick Henry, for instance, has a career 4.7 ypc, which is a WORLD of difference compared to 3.9 ypc.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I call them both was as appropriate

Always have

I just stomp on the redundant trolls who tend to only be negative no matter how wrong they are

And redundant just to be redundant

Would you like to talk about travel again

17. Huck Finn

Oct 22, 2023
    Well that is not how you are perceived by all. No idea what the last comment is regarding.

18. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    The non trolls have no problem with me

I wonder why

19. forgotten1

Mar 4, 2022
    Ahhh yes, Bob and Doug McKenzie come to mind

20. forgotten1

Mar 4, 2022
    I have a problem with you contributing to the delinquency of a puppy

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
  21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I was trying to teach her to fetch beers for me

I failed miserably on that project

22. forgotten1

Mar 4, 2022
    Did you name her Alex?

23. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Holy crap someone else remembers Alex

24. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Take a lot of that from the salaries of his linemen, though maybe that won't be as much of an issue with Okorafor and Cole gone.

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    People here are still whining about spending a first-round pick on Harris. It is a sunk cost. He is their best running back and a better fit for Smith's offense than Warren. We also saw late last year that Warren struggles to hold on to the ball in inclement weather, which is a concern for a team in the Northeast.

Harris was stuck behind weak offensive lines his first two seasons. His average per carry was also depressed in 2022 because he played half the season with a foot injury. He's not going to be Henry, but what other back in the league is on a level with Henry in his prime? The Steelers have to address center, tackle, cornerback, defensive line, inside linebacker, and safety. The last thing they need is to create another position of need right now.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1