1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

My training camp/pre-season primer and roster predictions.... wr

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blackandgoldpatrol, Jun 20, 2016.

1. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    The wr position has become the glamor position on our offense with most acknowledging that our wr crew is the best in the league, even with a notable suspension.. due to that suspension, a spot has been made available and we have 7 players fighting for it, which should make for a very entertaining camp and pre-season.. Now for the individual.

Antonio Brown:
    What else can be said about brown that hasn't been said already... Hardest worker, best route runner, can turn a short play into a long one... brown spent last season making good cb's look silly, and the only ones that seem to be able to stop him are our own back up qb's... Had brown had ben for the entire season, he would've easily broken some previously "unbreakable" records.. Browns' hands and ben's arm appear to have a symbiotic relationship.. The coaches are trying to find someone to take the punt return duties from him, but even if they find a good returner, don't be surprised to see him back there ocasionally.... this yr. brown doesn't see nearly the amount of top cb's that he saw last season, but he does open the season against redskins newly signed josh norman, and has a wk. 4 match up against marcus peters.... other than that, it looks like smooth sailing.... look out record books!!!

Markus Wheaton:
    Ben said that wheaton would blow up last season.... I may be in the minority when I say that I just didn't see it..... Wheaton's explosion against seattle made his season stats look a lot more bloated than they actually were.. take away that one game, and his numbers are pretty pedestrian... this season, wheaton has to have more consistency. he showed that his hands are more than good enough, and the flash against seattle showed that he could be a go to guy... now it's time to put it all together.

Sammie Coates:
    The reason that most aren't sweating martavis Bryant's absence... coates was initially drafted as insurance against Bryant's immaturity, and has reportedly put in some serious work in the off season... this is coates time to shine, and I fully expect him to.

Darrius Heyward-Bey:
    We must have one hell of a wr coach, because this former 1st rd. bust has been making some marked improvements, especially in his concentration, although, there were some lapses still...heyward-bey still has the speed to take the top off a defense, and is considered the fastest player on the team...... his spot is secure for now..

Demarcus Ayers:
    The lone draft pick out of all the #5 hopefuls, although, 7th rd. pick is hardly a ringing endorsement. He has drawn comparisons to a young ab, and it's not far off.. ayers had excellent hands and concentration, and can turn a short pass into a long gain with some very nice open field movement.. he's also a very dangerous return man.. we may have found a gem here, and I do believe that he has the inside track on the last wr spot

Eli Rogers:
    very good hands and can find openings in coverage... not a yac man by any stretch, and won't beat many db's deep, and that may ultimately be his downfall

Shakim Phillips:
    Showed flashes last pre-season, but ultimately is a clone of rogers

Canaan Severin:
    Good size with very good hands.. understands coverage... not a danger to beat nfl cb's deep, but can beat off defenders for the ball.

Marcus Tucker:
    Dominant against his small school competition, but I don't see him gaining much traction in the nfl.. I don't expect him to make it out of camp.

Isaac Blakeney:
    Very large target at 6'6" and 225 lbs... his size makes him one to watch, especially in red zone situations.. smooth athlete... not an accomplished route runner, and for his size, does not fight well for the ball... If those things improve, he may make this competition extremely interesting.

Levi Norwood:
    Has some skill as a return man, and that will get him some pre-season reps, but ultimately will be an early cut

next up: Te's

2. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    They drafted Ayers for his kick returning ability in the 7th round, if he makes the roster it will be as a kick returner in my opinion...

From SB Nation:
    Best Player Available: 8. The Steelers wanted to take a late round stab at addressing the returner position so that Antonio Brown would not have to continue to be put at risk for injuries on punt returns. Ayers is a not-so-speedy wide receiver that can return punts and be explosive in that position.

3. HawkeyeJames

HawkeyeJames Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    If this group can stay healthy this year I am not sure how you stop them. Unless it is Jones or Gradkowski throwing to them... :)

4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Ok, how can someone who is "not so speedy" be "explosive". I'm thinking baked beans are somehow involved?

5. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    and
    i'm thinking
    blazing saddles

edit...
    aye caramba pokey

6. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Even with no MB wr position is solid, now add in TE & Bell you have a pretty formidable receiving corp. Go Steelers.

7. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/06/technology-proves-heyward-bey-fastest-player-pittsburgh/ Here is the link that shows DHB is the fastest . This is exactly what I saw on tape that caused CB'S and Safeties to cheat to his side or play a couple of yards deeper on his side . NFL Coaches and Players are not dumb and rule #1 is don't get beat deep . DHB is a true threat to do that, so whether or not he gets a lot of balls thrown his way he adds great value to this Team....

8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    DHB always makes me think of this guy, I can see him saying this to Ben in the huddle...

J/k, I like DHB :lolol:

9. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Regarding DeMarcus Ayers and looking at his tape.. he is much faster than his 10 yard split and 40 time would indicate. He also is more agile too.