1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

my training camp/pre-season primer and roster predictions.... o-line

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blackandgoldpatrol, Jun 19, 2016.

1. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    We are on the edge of starting a new season... One in which we are now considered among the favorites in the afc.... We are widely recognized now as having one of the most talented rosters in the league, along with some of the best in the league at certain positions... Something special is being built here and it's time to take a look at who will be fighting for the right to take us on that ride... While most of the offensive positions are set, you can never overlook the young and hungry.... with that said, here is my take on our team and outlook.:

O-line: These are the guys that make everything go. Without them, the machine is done. The O-line endured some major injuries to key starters, and next man up became more than a cliché.. even with those injuries, we were a top 5 o-line as players stepped up when the bell rang. of course a lot of that has to do with the tutelage of a hof o-line coach, but the clay had to be there to mold as well.... now on to the individual.

OT:
    Marcus Gilbert:

Just 3 short seasons ago, gilbert was one of my favorite whipping boys. He has now become arguably the best rt in the game today... Throughout the season, gilbert only gave up one sack. this was no fluke either, as he face some of the fiercest pass rushers in the league. the list of pass rushers gilbert erased is as follows.: Elvis dumervill (twice), Von miller (twice), Khalil mack, Robert Quinn, Justin Houston, with mike Johnson being the only one to lay a glove on big ben.. Gilbert may be the biggest pro bowl snub in the league last yr... His position is secure, and look for an all pro nod this yr.

Alejandro Villanueva:
    Thrust into action due to injury, he had some growing pains early, but clearly improved with game experience. As a former receiver, his footwork is excellent and paired with his prototypical size, he could develop into something special.. Coach Munch's presence is definitely felt here as av went from practice squad hopeful to protecting big ben's backside. he has some competition this season from the next man on the list, but I fully expect him to stand tall (no pun intended), and keep the starting gig.

Ryan Harris:
    Your resume' can't get much more impressive than starting lt for the defending suberbowl champs.. like av, Harris was thrust into the position due to injury and he ran with it. Harris did have a few lapses in protection last yr., but overall, performed well... Given his resume, I was actually surprised that he signed with us, rather than a team where he would have a guaranteed starting spot, but I suppose having a good locker room can make a huge difference.. While I believe av will ultimately win the battle, this will still be a great competition to watch.. Even if harris doesn't win it, i'm sure he will see the field a good bit on both sides.

Jerald Hawkins:
    The rookie has a lot of upside. definitely athletic, and has good game strength. Where he lacks is technique and consistency... There's some good clay for munch to work with, but I don't expect to see him get a helmet during his rookie season.. I see practice squad, and probably real game day action for yr. 3, but this is definitely a rookie that could surprise.

Brian Mihalik:
    Strictly practice squad as he's converting from de. At 6'9", his tutelage may spark comparisons to AV... He has good feet and may just surprise in time.

Matt Feiler:
    My dark horse to make noise in camp. Very athletic and looks the part. Above ave. movement and his ability to pull may make him a candidate to move to guard... Small school competition may be an issue and he'll have to prove that the big time isn't too big for him, but keep an eye on this guy.

OG:
    David Decastro:

Paired with Gilbert, i'm not sure if there is a better right side in the league. Decastro earned all pro honors last yr., after being a pro bowl snub the yr. before. Aside from being among the best at his position, it's also a contract yr., and the f.o. will have to pony up big time (but that's a discussion for feb.)... I fully expect decastro to cement his status as the best in the league by season's end

Ramon Foster:
    One of the unsung heroes on the o-line... plays with a bit of a mean streak, and when you're surrounded by high rd. draftees and military special forces, I would guess that you have to have a mean streak. Pass blocking technique has improved, and he will not generally be overpowered, but still has a few issues with stunts and misdirection.... Nothing that some film study can't overcome, as coach munch has done a fine job.

Chris Hubbard:
    With a healthy pouncey, the coaches usually go with cody Wallace at guard when injury hits, but they keep Hubbard around for a reason.. If my dark horse pans out, then we may be seeing the last of hubbard in black and gold, but for now, he still has the inside track.

Cole Manhart:
    Small school product, who played lt in college. Extreme long shot to make the team, and may only stick through part of pre-season simply to keep others fresh. also played basketball in high school and is very athletic, but will not be heard from much

C
    Markice Pouncey:

the o-line welcomes back what many consider the best c in the game today. Pouncey's presence makes an already strong line, into arguably one of the best. His strength and mobility gives the line an extra element.. I fully expect pouncey to re-emerge as an elite blocker this season.

Cody Wallace:
    Stepped in for pouncey and performed admirably. Wallace may have been the meanest player on the o-line last yr., and while that mean streak got him into trouble at times, it certainly served him well. Not the lateral mover that pouncey is, and that was evident during some blitz pick ups, but was superb when the play was right in front of him. IMHO we clearly have the best back up c in the league, and a pretty capable back up g as well.

BJ Finney:
    red shirted last season, but the truth is he wasn't ready. Plays both c and g, but may be a victim of the numbers game

Quinton Schooley:
    good kid, but the rookie won't make it out of training camp

Next up: Wr's

2. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Nice write up..

I really like Finney and hope he sticks around.

3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i'm keeping an eye on finney, hubbard and schooley.

wallace is in the last year of his contract and getting up in age now. i do believe he plays it out for us but his replacement for the future backup spot may come from finney or schooley. schooley was pretty good at NC state. finney was kept with a contract most PS players don't see when teams were sniffing around last year. these 3 will be something to keep an eye on in preseason for the future.

hubbard has the inside track because of position flexibility across the board as a crucial backup. this is an interesting position to be in for him because nobody else has that as a backup.

i just don't see our starters playing much at all in the preseason to risk injury so we should see a ton of all these backups. they will get a lot of looks and playing time. :cool:

4. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I will have to admit, that I have not had much confidence in our OL. There were only 2 players that I thought
    were NFL caliber, but after the hiring of Mike Munchak the OL has played very respectable. That being said,I hope
    competitive battles exist and may the best man win out regardless of contracts.

5. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    My thing is keeping Munchak here forever.
    Line has gone from bad to good and now excellent under his tutelage.

6. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I expect this O-Line to have great chemistry and perform well this year. And for that, I expect the Steelers to draft O-line in round 1 next year, hopefully with the 32nd pick.

7. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Finney to me would have actually made the final 53 had he not got injured in the final game. I imagine he has improved in his strength training and should see him hovering around 310.

... nevermind... just work on that physique and get stronger.. did not realize he was over 310..