1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

My thoughts on the Steelers off-season (so far)

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blackandgoldpatrol, Mar 19, 2024.

1. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Williams is injured and may not be available for the start of the season

Nit a good fit to learn a new system

2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The Steelers were 7-4 in games started by Pickett last season and that was against a tougher part of the schedule. If you don't think he gave glimpses of potential, you weren't paying attention his final year at Pitt, his rookie season, or last preseason. Ultimately, he was a bust, but one of the things I'm pushing back against here is the ridiculous, revisionist history.

No, there is not hearsay in what I posted. Of course, Pickett was disappointed to find out the competition they brought in would be getting first shot at the job. That you think he did nothing simply shows you have no interest in dealing with reality. No, there is no evidence that he didn't want to compete. The issue was he felt like he wasn't getting the opportunity to compete. Try harder to keep up before you disrespect the opinions of others.

3. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    I'm not sure I can agree with that. But it depends on who is needing him.
    Currently it is a 'might' not be able to start the season.
    If a team wants him as a starter, and feels confident in that decision, then they will sign him. He's a pretty good center.
    He is one of the league's top blockers and can line up at multiple positions. Kelce retiring probably made him the top Center.

As far as here, the price tag is a bit much I'd think. If they could get him at a good price, they'd be more stupid not to.
    But they have to be seeing him as a long-term starter.
    I think Pittsburgh would like to go youth and a cheaper option.
    This is the reason I only state that he is out there and elude to depth signings.

He will be signed but I think some teams are going to wait a little to see where he is with the knee, since he tore it up in December.
    A team like Philadelphia can stash him - till around late Sept, Oct possibly. (that might not be so true since they changed offensive schemes - shying away from that inside power blocking which Conner fits)
    But I could see some of the power running teams keeping an eye on him.
    I just don't see Pittsburgh as one. He was just a mention. :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. nor

nor Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2016
    I give the steelers credit for moving on from Pickett when he wasn't good enough. I was afraid of plodding along for a few more years with a below average QB just because he was a #1 pick.

I obviously think we need to start going thru a bunch of arms to find who is the guy.

Hard as heck to find a franchise QB where we pick every year in the #18-25 range.

A lot of ideas but no quick fix.

may be a couple of years. I saw on NFL Network today Louis Riddick saying Khan had to swap out the QB room to save his job. I'm not convinced of that, but solving the QB problem is clearly the #1 priority if you ask me.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Riddick said that? That's disappointing. He usually doesn't say things that stupid. Khan is going into his second draft and this is the Steelers. His job wasn't in jeopardy.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Riddick works for ESPN not NFL Network, I think it was Bart Scott that said it about Khan, he didn't realize Khan didn't draft Pickett.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That makes more sense. Scott is an idiot.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1