1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

My thoughts on the Steelers off-season (so far)

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blackandgoldpatrol, Mar 19, 2024.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    We have reached the part of the argument where you finally realized I'm right and can't bring yourself to admit as much.

Bless your heart.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    No

That is not what happened

That is just you trying to get the last word

FFS

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    This dude is a complete Douche. Only goal is to be right even when he’s wrong.
    There’s no real reason to even discuss anything with him.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    He actually has some real knowledge of the game

He just lost his marbles with what happened with Picket and how Pickett responded

And no matter what his fragile ego requires him getting the last word and make personal snide attacks

It’s like a Chinese menu the Kung Pao is good but I’ll pass on the chicken feet

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    it’s all over the internet, it was a long drawn out wordy complaint, about the size of the constitution. Surprised you missed it.

6. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    The sad thing is he thinks it’s a good quality.
    It’s ok to be wrong sometimes.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. pczach

pczach Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2023

Because

You don't have to justify your fandom.

There are people here that say the team is just doing what they think is in the best interests of the team to get better. They are correct. But when you admit that the team is constantly looking for other options while telling every player that they are "the man" or will have a chance to compete for the starting position when they clearly had no intention of that, they are misleading players because they are always trying to upgrade at any time.

Again, that's fine but don't say that the team has the opportunity to pull the rug out from people and mislead them constantly because you just want the team to do better. We all want the team to do better and improve. It doesn't make the Steelers worse than anyone else. It just makes them like everybody else. This is how business is done in the NFL.

Believing blindly that the team can do no wrong doesn't make you a great fan. Not recognizing that the team uses tactics to improve their standing or their position is simply naive, and questioning people that have supported the team their whole lives is petty and weak.

Go Steelers.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    I’ve liked Khan’s moves and am looking forward to year three with him. Remember, it takes a few drafts to get the setup you want. Took the day off for the draft n let’s see what they have in store for us. I like they’re replacing pieces that don’t want to be there. May hurt a bit but necessary for a Steeler End game. Yeah, I dig it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Yes, that is what happened. People bail when they can't support their claims. It happens all the time.

10. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    To say someone lost their marbles because they don't agree with your rumor-based analysis of the situation is some seriously weak sauce.

11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm glad you are okay with being wrong. Too bad you couldn't admit it.

12. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Skilled or not skilled, to me the number one factor that says picket is probably not the right guy going into the future is his attitude. As you said, when Mason was the starter Kenny was the spoiled child having a tantrum on the sideline. The comment about not learning anything while he was on the sideline really struck me as a poor and entitled attitude.
    At the risk of offending someone.... But hey, that's what this message board is all about right?...lol..... Kenny's's attitude seem to very much be that of the millennial who wants everything handed to him and doesn't feel he has to work for it. Everything is a right or something he deserves. That is the vibe that I was getting from him.

I do think that his development was stunted as a quarterback. A combination of Canada as an offensive coordinator, a poor offensive line, and nobody to really mentor him. I don't think that the Steelers were very good about developing any of their quarterbacks as long as they had Big Ben. They didn't need to be. I absolutely do believe that he could have been better than he was with the right coaching and offense. But no matter what mentoring or coaching he gets, I think that his roof is probably limited by his attitude.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2024
  13. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    The Steelers have always seemed to have a talent for finding great receivers. However, they also seem to be equally as good at allowing those receivers to become discipline problems......lol

14. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    It's kind of like giving your daughter permission to go to a sleepover at her friend's house. But then after you give her permission, you find out that some boys are going to have a sleepover there at the same time. So you're permission obviously gets revoked. Did you lie? Nope. You just found out some new facts that influenced past decisions. It's the same thing with Kenny and the Steelers in my opinion. They were intending to go forward with Kenny being the number one guy, but then Russell Wilson fell into their laps for league minimum.

I did not want Russell Wilson on the Steelers, I have spent years telling my niece who is a Seahawks fan how Russell Wilson was overrated. So now she's laughing. But at the end of the day, getting Russell Wilson for league minimum is an incredible deal. And I think that they were right to do it. That new fact puts Kenny on a back burner and if he had been smart, he probably could have used that as a development year with the chance to look over an experienced and successful quarterback shoulder. And if the rumors have any truth to them, Kenny did not react well and that shows that he was not the right guy mentally, regardless of his football abilities.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    What you said

n’ at

• Like Like x 1
  16. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    People criticize millennials and refuse to accept the fact that we raised them that way. Kids didn't demand participation trophies, their parents did.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    I did an executive communications class quite a few years ago. The guy who was teaching it went through the different generations and how the experiences of those generations influenced how they raise their children. It was really interesting.

The short version is that parents after world war II started having both parents working which led to a lot of children being raised without their parents being home. Those kids grew up remembering how they were raised without parents being around all the time and they raised their kids by smothering them. Then those kids grew up and raised their kids with the notion that they can do anything they want, be whatever they want to be, and that everything they want is a 'right' Now those kids are growing up and will be having their own children soon. I wonder how that next generation will define itself.

As I said, that's a really short cliff note version of what he talked about. It does not apply to every kid, but more of a big picture view by generation. And it's very off topic.....lol

18. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Beats two guys calling each other liar and hypocrite.

19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    LOL I see we have another fiction writer. There is almost nothing that supports what you wrote here. In fact, most of the available evidence regarding Pickett's attitude opposes what you wrote. This includes comments from Kuntz and Watt and almost everything the guy ever said. But hey, he said no to the wrong question once, so suddenly he was throwing tantrums. lol

20. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It's not like that because if they had faith in him, he would still be a Steeler. If they still believed in him, they wouldn't have given up on him so easily and they wouldn't have cared that he asked for a trade. Hell, Pickens has done far worse and he's still a Steeler.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Actually, I think his analogy pegged it pretty well. At the time that statements were made (none of which that I have seen guaranteed anything to Pickett about starting), the team had enough faith in Pickett to keep him, but as Khan noted there would be competition in the room. When the opportunity to get Wilson at vet minimum surfaced, they took the opportunity and informed Pickett that Wilson would be starting off getting 1st team reps. None of us really know what happened from there. People will guess, but don’t know whether the Steelers were still in on Fields after signing Wilson. The Steelers may have been working the Wilson and Fields angles simultaneously to bring in competition, and may have dropped their pursuit of Fields until KP requested a trade. We don’t know, and because KP decided that he wanted out so quickly after the Wilson signing, there may not have been much of a pause in discussions with the Bears. For whatever reason our front office sees something in Fields and decided that he would be an upgrade, so we made the trade with Philly. You used Pickens as an example of someone wanting out and the team saying no. The same thing could happen with Pickens if we come out of it with a cheap upgrade (a much less likely scenario than upgrading from Pickett).

You keep saying that the Steeler lied. Well, you clearly believe that they lied, but you don’t know that they lied. As Robert’s good analogy shows, statements can be true when they are made and then be revoked when new information comes to light. It doesn’t make the original statement a lie. To paraphrase Khan, he had full faith in KP but wanted competition in the room. That means that they wanted to keep KP but were not averse to finding someone better through competition. We never got to see that competition because KP wanted a fresh start somewhere else. I honestly don’t blame Pickett. He had a really tough year here last year, and he may just feel like he needs to press the reset button on his career. But I have yet to see evidence that the Steelers lied.

[mic drop]

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I’m starting to feel bad for you

• Agree Agree x 3
  23. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Great post

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    The best logical post here

• Like Like x 2
  25. RipTydz

RipTydz Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2022
    Im not sure that this has been mentioned, but with having Russell Wilson at 1.2mi this year and Justin Fields 3.2 million, the Steelers have some flexibility. Ultimately, I believe they want a young Justin Fields to pan out and his throwing ability, being able to work through progressions, and be able to read a defense is key. But if they see the potential is there with Fields, whether that be in the offseason, preseason or early in the year...they could trade Russell Wilson's contract very quickly to a QB needy playoff like team if their QB goes down with an injury.