1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

My thoughts on the Steelers off-season (so far)

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blackandgoldpatrol, Mar 19, 2024.

1. ljkjr74

ljkjr74 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2015
    Pickett had a lot of time with Steelers to prove himself and he didn’t make the grade. IMO, I don’t think he will be in the NFL long. Maybe Eagles system might work for him but he is a slow learner.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    You read the name of the poster. I mean… I almost didn’t read this post, but then I saw that you were replying to Metal Man and decided it may be worth a peek.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  3. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    Don't go bringing logic into this.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. THREE RIVER SHIVER

THREE RIVER SHIVER Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2017
    And DJ'S effort /attitude didn't demand him being a Steeler any longer

5. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    And then there's teams desperate for help at the trade deadline (Green Bay offered us a second for Claypool before Chicago did), we just got lucky that Chicago lost their last 9 games after we traded him. That's different than teams looking to unload someone during the beginning of free agency.

6. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    To me they gave up on KP prematurely. Maybe it was poor work habits during the week or lack of good repoir with players/coaches. Outside of that, doesn’t make sense.

7. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I’m thinking some people don’t know the definition of the word “Lie”

8. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Expectations are thru the roof locally, put up or shut up MT. The lies about
    RW/ JF should start in OTA's . Who is being lied to? Should be interesting.

9. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    The last I checked Pickett is no longer a Steeler. What happened happened.

Once you get started...well at least that's what happens to me :drinks:

I believe that a message was sent. Hoping that he can grasp the #1 and run with it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    He had two seasons. That is not a lot of time, especially when they could have had him for two more on a cheap rookie deal. They chose Fields instead despite his massive flaws. I admit this is speculation, but it is well founded in facts. I don't believe for a second that they didn't have the Fields deal lined up when they traded Pickett. You think Pickett was a slow learner? Wait until you get a good look at Fields.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It is making an untrue statement with intent to deceive. They expressed faith and confidence in Pickett, said 2024 was going to be a big year for him, while knowing they were looking for his replacement. If they truly had that much faith in him and they traded him for so little, they are morons. Do you think Rooney, Khan, and Tomlin are morons?

12. takenoprisoners1

takenoprisoners1 Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Say all you want about the new QB'S, the draft, etc.... For me, never seeing Pressly Harvin take the field in 2024 is worth the price of admission! Curiously, I haven't seen a write up of our new punter on steelers.com.....

• Winner Winner x 2
  13. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    You're a member of “TheSteelersfans” but you’re not a Steelers fan. Honestly, what does it say about a person who chooses to be a fan of Liars, Morons, dubious execs and owners ??? It’s ok, there’s been trolls and fans of other teams in here and they add to conversation.

Now let’s take a look a the real facts !!!

1- This is a business where Billions of $ are at Stake Millions of people are affected.

2- The Owner, Rooney, said enough is enough, it’s time to win some playoff games. That little Statement PUT On Notice Every Exec, Coach And Player!!!

2a- Apparently Pickett didn’t get the notice.

3- Tomlin said at the end of the season Pickett was going to have competition. In this league you must earn playing time and Pickett had yet to do that.

3- Pickett acted like an entitled little girl when Mason remained the starter last year. THAT Told Everyone he, Pickett , might not be the Future QB!!

4- He, Pickett, was told Wilson would be given First Crack with the Ones in Camp ( this is NOT being named week one Stater!!) He again threw a hissy, cancelled his workouts with the wideouts!! THAT sealed his fate!!!!!

5- Whether he asked for a trade or when is completely irreverent, he was already as good as gone, just had to work out the details. Compensation at this point is irreverent. The Cancer had to go quickly.

6- Fields- He is just ONE of Hundreds of Players Tomlin and the Steelers liked but wasn’t on the team. The team knows he will be available, the team knows Pickett is not the future!! The team did right and went after him hoping to give Wilson competition since Pickett was afraid to compete and Unlike BiG Ben hadn’t earned his Starter Role yet!!!!

You call this team liars and Morons!!! I call them Honorable and Champions!!!

GO Steelers!!!

Cajun

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Steelvision

Jun 28, 2022
    don’t forget Canada. That guy had a habit of making Qb’s look worse than they are. Kenny needed more time without Canada’s influence. I’m just wondering if going for Wilson is Tomlin’s last gasp at a serious playoff run before he retires (hasn’t signed an extension going into his final year yet) and Maybe KP didn’t want to play along as backup. Fields might’ve been plan B.

15. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I know what they said. That’s not even close to a lie.
    This stuff isn’t that hard to understand.

He was the only quarterback on the roster they planned on moving forward with him. Sounds like they told him that much. A better option presented itself.
    Seems like Pickett was mad that they went back on their word. Can’t say that I blame him. I also don’t blame the Steelers for trying to make a move that improves the team.
    So Pickett asked for a trade. Obviously, the Steelers at that point didn’t feel like the situation was going to work out so they traded him.

If the Steelers never had any intentions of honoring what they told Pickett, then sure they lied to him, but that’s not the way it looks.
    Looks like the initially meant what they said and a better option came along. That’s not a lie. That’s changing your mind.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    I, personally, don’t believe Pickens will ever with any team be a true number one. He has the size and hands to be a “Moss” BUT he doesn’t have Elite speed or Great RTE running.

The Problem with him is HE Thinks he is Todays “Moss” and if he doesn’t get his snaps and his targets and his receptions he may become another cancer. Hope I’m wrong.

Cajun

17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Exactly. They carry three QB’s and as I said before, you dont trade a QB you believe in. Wilson would be the short term QB and then you try to develop Fields and Pickett and hope one of them becomes the next franchise guy.

18. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011

Canada’s influence definitely hampered Pickett, BUT, I truly believe enough was shown. He showed promise with a couple 4th Qtr comebacks but still had some pocket awareness issues, some accuracy issues and some defense reading issues. Those could be fixed with a solid Vet in the QB room and real competition to assist better coaching to Develop Kenny into a Solid Franchise QB. Picketts weak football character revealed itself and he’s now gone.

This is Kahn’s show to run and as a first time GM he’s aggressive and eager to win and show the Rooneys we’re right to hire him.

Tomlin is nearing his end….. one more Ring would be the Perfect Exit for him.

Cajun

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011

Canada’s influence definitely hampered Pickett, BUT, I truly believe enough was shown. He showed promise with a couple 4th Qtr comebacks but still had some pocket awareness issues, some accuracy issues and some defense reading issues. Those could be fixed with a solid Vet in the QB room and real competition to assist better coaching to Develop Kenny into a Solid Franchise QB. Picketts weak football character revealed itself and he’s now gone.

This is Kahn’s show to run and as a first time GM he’s aggressive and eager to win and show the Rooneys we’re right to hire him.

Tomlin is nearing his end….. one more Ring would be the Perfect Exit for him.

Cajun

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Steelvision

Jun 28, 2022
    agree in general. Kenny should’ve kept his mouth shut and welcomed Wilson. He wasn’t a 10 year vet. He was still on his rookie contract and hadn’t accomplished anything yet. He had a right to want out but it wasn’t a good look at this stage of his career and with his TBD status.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Kindly stick your judgement of what is and is not a Steelers fan and stick it somewhere uncomfortable. I am a passionate and loyal Steelers fan, as I have been for decades. The difference between us is that I understand that all general managers and coaches lie and you do not. Your ignorance, whether it be genuine or willful, does not make you more of a fan than me. It just makes you ignorant.

1-2, 2a. Duh. None of that means they didn't lie.

3. Tomlin also said this was a big year for Pickett. He had every reason to believe he would at least have the opportunity to compete for the job.

3...again? You may want to work on your counting. What you wrote about Pickett is pure fiction. He did nothing of the kind. The only thing he actually did was say that he didn't learn from sitting. He let his guard down for a moment and allowed us to see that he wanted to play. What do you want? Players who are happy to sit? Remember, he wasn't benched. He lost his job due to injury.

Before we get to 4, you skipped a step. Not only did Tomlin express his faith in Pickett and publicly say this was a big year for him, but Khan also said they still had full faith and confidence in Pickett and Rooney expressed confidence in him as well. None of that was true. They didn't just bring in competition. They brought in a new starter and put him ahead of Pickett.

4. Wilson was getting the first-team reps. This wasn't bringing in Mitchell Trubisky. This was bringing in a nine-time Pro Bowl selection who started in two Super Bowls, winning one of them. If you don't understand the difference, that is your failure. Your claim about Pickett's reaction is more fiction. We don't know of him throwing a hissy. We have one dubious report of him cancelling a workout, which I believe came from Dulac, who has spent the last few years proving he has no idea what he is talking aIf you are foolish enough to take anything Dulac writes at this point, that is your failure.

5. I believe you meant irrelevant, not irreverent. Words mean things. There is no valid evidence to support your claim that he was a cancer. The only actual valid point about Pickett being trouble was the request for a trade, and you are foolish enough to dismiss that.

6. There is no evidence that Pickett was afraid to compete. You and others made that up, too. The Steelers who have commented on this have debunked your theory, but you would rather make things up than listen to his former Steelers teammates. Tomlin has had a bit of an obsession with running quarterbacks, including Vick and Dixon. Now it's Fields.

Lastly, I did not call them morons. Go back and read my post again. I said they would have to be morons to trade a quarterback they believe in with so little cause. I was challenging Glenn's foolishness. Do a better job reading before you attack another poster next time.

Yes, the Steelers lied. All teams do. It is sad that you don't know that.

22. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Also, how are you going to develop those two if neither of them is starting? It just doesn't work. That is another reason why they moved Pickett once they realized they could get Fields cheap.

23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    By all means, show us the public comment from Pickett between the news breaking that the Steelers were getting Wilson and when he was traded to the Eagles. I'll give you a hint. There were none.

24. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Saying they have full faith and confidence in a player when they don't is a lie. Why do you not understand that?

25. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    You know what. Believe what you wanna believe. I’d say have a nice day, but I’d be lying.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1