1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

My thoughts on the Steelers off-season (so far)

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blackandgoldpatrol, Mar 19, 2024.

1. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    1. I think we've made more moves these last 2 off-seasons than in the last 20 yrs combined

2. It took the better part of a day to process the Kenny Pickett trade and Russell Wilson signing ... it took the better part of the next day to fully process the Justin fields trade...
    And I'm still processing the fact that our current qb rm only costs us $4 million dollars.
    The Khan man has definitely outdone himself

3. Patrick Queen signing was very shrewd, and I love that we can stick it to the Ravens

4. Van Jefferson is what we're all expecting Calvin Austin to be.... nice signing

5. Word on the streets is that we're gearing up for a major splash at wr, and I keep seeing Brandon Aiyuk's picture

6. So far, I don't see our draft strategy changing..... the 1st 3 rds should still net us one of the big 3 C's, a RT and CB, with the 2nd 3rd rd pick being a wild card... Possibly (and hopefully) T'Vondre Sweat

7. Rumor has it that Bud Dupree wants to come back.... if the price is right, then I say go for it

8. To date.... I haven't heard any response from the league on TJ Watt's DPOY voting clarification

9. It was pretty obvious that Pickett's time was up... any time a team's F.O. repeatedly shares their support, it's a kiss of death

10. Can't wait for the draft

Last edited: Mar 19, 2024
    • Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 3
  2. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    1. I agree. And it's glorious.
    2. Didn't see any of it coming. Once I saw Wilson was talking to the Steelers, I knew he was going to sign here. Figured it was going to be a competition, but once Kenny was traded, I knew Fields was back in play. It was just the cost that amazed me.
    3. Identify a problem. Solve the problem. Stick it to your opponents.
    4. Yup, after filling QB, LB, and Safety, and trading a WR for a CB, it became apparent we had to fill out the receiver corps. Not everyone can be the $30 million man, but we need players to fill rolls. Jefferson does that.
    5. Aiyuk and Jefferson (no, not the one we already got) are the two names I see most. Neither will come cheap, or be cheap to keep.
    6. Agree about our draft strategy. Could see Sweat dropping to late 3rd- he's a two down player who becomes a one down player after about a quarter. But the AFC North is built to run the ball, and we have to stop that.
    7. If the price is right.....
    8. No comment
    9. I think they had every intention of keeping Kenny, but when Wilson became available at that price, they had to go in. And when Kenny demanded a trade, Fields became a game changer.
    10. Nor can I. Nor can I. If we can fill in WR and get a T beforehand, then it's anyone's guess.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  3. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    #2 I heard while on a golf course. And I was among Eagle fans. Funniest thing to me was I parred the next 2 holes but it was a major downhill slope from then on.

Aside from that it's been frigging AWESOME!! A lot of us know the long ass wait from B to B. I do like the idea of having a vet while hopefully finding a gem in the draft. He won't be thrown to the lions right off. Some time to develop. Going to be an exciting draft. I also have faith the Steelers will win now. They will be a stronger force in the AFC then they have been in recent years.

Although Pittsburgh may forget the Steelers when those Three River Bombers fly into the water as the Bucs dominate MLB.***

*** Shouldn't have had that last beer;)

4. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Kahn is making a strong case for MVP.......lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    Nope PFF has some odd ball stat that Peter King latches on to and its downhill from there!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Khan Noonian Singh

• Like Like x 1
  7. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    Get the center in the first round and the safety and I’ll feel better about the offseason.

I don’t know what to think about the Qb changes. Wilson is on the downside of his career so who knows what kind of Wilson we’ll get. Fields is a work in progress, he’s a TBD, just like KP was. What is Smiths effect on the offense. Just a lot of unknowns

8. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I'll add this to no. 9. Kenny's time didn't have to be up. Had he stuck around and competed at Latrobe in the summer, played hard in the pre-season, been a good teammate and support for Russ had he ultimately been named QB1, I think he would have eventually gotten another opportunity to start for the Steelers. Who knows how that would've turned out, but the opportunity would've eventually been there. I personally don't think he has all of the prerequisite tools to be an elite QB but he may evolve into decent backup and game manager.

I guess I have such strong feelings about Kenny because I'm a little miffed at him because I had such high hopes for him. He's been a huge disappointment and he's compounded that by the way he left the Steelers, essentially with a trade demand after the team did what it felt was necessary to get better, which I agree with as do most other fans of the team. The QB room was in major need of improvement, and Khan and company took the necessary steps to do that. The crazy thing is that Kenny could've still been a part of that room had he not developed this bizarre, unearned sense of entitlement. Now he's in an even worse situation, backup (maybe) to a younger, firmly entrenched starting quarterback.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    I like most of the moves Kahn has made with the exception of Donte trade, thought we could have done better then we got.

10. Trafalgar

Trafalgar Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2016
    They must have hated him to just get that back, it's left a massive hole.

11. steelersrock151

Nov 18, 2011
    Left a hole, filled a hole, and saved $5 million on the cap. That's business.
    The fact that they traded him to Carolina, well, that may be hate.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  12. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    I would hate to play Monopoly with the guy. He seems to have quite the talent for making deals. I think he would convince you that it's a great idea to sell boardwalk and Park place with hotels on it for a straight up trade of Mediterranean and Baltic with one house each......lol

He also seems to have great vision for what the team really needs. I'm sure he's doing that in conjunction with Tomlin and other team leaders and not all by himself. Then he's going out and getting some really good players at fire sale prices.

He is setting the team up to be able to draft for the future rather than having to draft to fill a hole in the dyke. That is a rare event in the NFL.

13. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Your strong feelings have led you to writing fiction. The evidence does not fit your claim that he had a "bizarre, unearned sense of entitlement." The team lied to him. We know this because those lies were public. When he asked for a trade, instead of putting in the work to talk him down, they used his request to turn a large part of the fan base against Pickett when they did what they likely wanted to do all along, trade for Fields.

14. steelersrock151

Nov 18, 2011
    I will say this- Pickett has gotten far more support since the Steelers traded him than he ever did when he was the quarterback.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    It’s so funny that after what you witnessed Rudolph go through that you think Pickett ever would get a shot to start again. I suppose maybe 6 years from now he might have. You’ve even stated how the Steelers treated Rudolph poorly and that’s what you wanted Pickett to stick around for? He saw the writing on the wall.

Would have been even worse once Fields was brought in and yes, Fields was coming no matter what and probably already in the works before they ever traded Pickett.

• Winner Winner x 2
  16. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    The team lied to him? LOL...Kenny needs to grow a pair and develop some thick skin! In the NFL, you're beloved until you're not and that's usually about the time someone better comes along! He'd better get used to that because at this point, he's better than nobody! And speaking of fiction, I'm sure the Pittsburgh Steelers have better things to do than to make a concerted effort to turn the fan base against a self-entitled brat who decided that Philly was a good place for him to re-set a career that he never gave an opportunity to set in the first place.

17. jrompola

jrompola Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    My thoughts are I'm actually excited going into the season rather than the apathy that had been setting in post Ben. Still watched every game, but didn't expect anything beyond .500 and a 1st rd playoff blowout after coming out unprepared. Also may buy madden for the 1st time in yrs to play with wilson/fields.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Not so sure about that. Maybe, but I doubt it. Kenny was going to be given a shot had he bothered to stick around for it. But he didn't so...good riddance!

19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Trying to salvage Pickens. DJ was a bad influence on him and he was in the last year of his contract, weren’t going to sign him to an extension anyway. Filled a need instead of losing him for nothing in FA.

McLauirn would be a great addition and influence on Pickens.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Flip flopper :lolol:

21. jrompola

jrompola Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Tiny hands had 1 lucky extra year which he shouldnt have had with an elite WR in a subpar conference. If you look at his other years his NFL stats are much more in line with his college stats. Mediocre and telling of a career 2nd/3rd stringer.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    :hijacked:

Again.....

23. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Another thread turns into the battle between Pickett bashers and people who insist that the team “lied.” How fun!

• Winner Winner x 4
  24. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

if we have a first round pick (meaning, we don't trade it for a WR or something beforehand) - and if another FA C is not acquired thru FA before the draft, than I can't see us NOT taking a C UNLESS that top 1 or 2 T's fall to us - Fautanu or Fuaga, or Guyton, or even Mims?

then why not move up earlier in the 2nd Rd and grab Powers Johnson?

I am sure they have a Draft Night 'play it by ear' strategy.

25. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    There is no valid evidence for your analysis other than the trade request. You are not interested in what actually happened. You are just angry at Pickett and you want to rant about him.

• Like Like x 1