1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

My thoughts on regular season wk 2....

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blackandgoldpatrol, Sep 15, 2024 at 7:44 PM.

1. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    #3 is all you need to know.

2. TWISTER

TWISTER Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Times have changed since that era, kids are soft nowadays. In this day and age most the young ones care about popularity and making money. Back in the Aikman, Manning era, they strived to work on their skill to get better. Kids nowadays think everyone else should get better around them.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2022
    In that situation, I'd definitely take Pickett over Fields. Being able to perform in the clutch is a very important factor for a QB, so far in Fields career, he hasn't shown that he can do that. That's the one thing I really liked about Pickett, he doesn't choke. Wish they had given him another year, but it just wasn't meant to be

• Like Like x 1
  4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I believe I already said the key for a QB to succeed is the entire organization; not just only the player. For Troy Aikman, the Herschel Walker trade was a stroke of genius by Jerry Jones; a trade that created one of the NFLs Greatest Ever Dynasties in the 90s Cowboys. As for Peyton Manning, Bill Polian and Jim Mora had orchestrated one of the NFLs greatest ever turnarounds; Peyton Manning going from 1-15 to 13-3 the following season.

Those QBs themselves did play a part in the turnaround via their own talents. However, to say that the Cowboys and Colts had turnarounds solely because of Aikman and Manning alone is doing the works of Jerry Jones and Bill Polian a great injustice.

So again, QBs selected in Round One will only be as good as the situation they are placed in. Very seldom can they immediately be good on their own merits without the aid of the franchise that drafted them. Justin Herbert is the only one that comes to mind in terms of carrying his team on his back as a Rookie given the lack of talent on Offense.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    For the clutch situation, things can change quickly....I mean, I remember before the 2007 playoffs,Eli Manning was one of the worst clutch QBs in the NFL, you could almost never rely on him in his situations in his career at that point, a month later he had a game winning drive in the super bowl and he had another one 4 years later

• Like Like x 1
  6. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    They chose that path.

7. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Manning just wasn't very good before that. During that season, there were Giants fans screaming for him to be benched.

8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Who

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    And yet when competition showed up Pickett tuck tailed asked to be traded and ran like a coward

That’s not someone anyone should want in a clutch

By now Pickett belongs in the non Steeler related forum don’t you think

10. Arch Stanton

Oct 10, 2022
    What Pickett did off the field after the fact is irrelevant. He was clutch in games, and that's all that matters.

11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    It’s part of what matters not all

If I’m getting shot at and you run away

I’m not telling people about how well you did the day before

His cowardly departure shows his character

If he had any balls he might b3 starting for the Steelers Sunday

As is baring injury he will never start another game

Looser

And he is now an eagle

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    True,this is for this reason that it can change quickly sometimes good or bad

13. Arch Stanton

Oct 10, 2022
    I was just responding to the question being asked, who would you want to have in the 4th quarter when the game is on the line, Pickett or Fields? As I stated I would rather have Pickett, because he's proven to be good in those situations, Fields hasn't. I can only go by both guys track record in the clutch. I'm not saying that Pickett is a better QB than Fields, I don't really know at this point. Maybe Fields will come though in the clutch a few times this year, guess we'll see. We don't know the whole story about what happened to cause the Steelers to trade Pickett, so it's just conjecture on your part. Obviously they didn't think he was good enough to be a Steeler anymore, and that may include his character.

• Like Like x 1
  14. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Um

Yes we do Pickett requested the trade that is a fact

Multiple facts available and these are not the same articles

Google is your friend

Kenny Pickett details the reasoning for his trade request from the Steelers: 'I just thought it was time'

According to a report, Pickett had no interest in competing with Wilson for the starting quarterback job because he felt like it was inevitable that he was going to lose. Pickett, as a result, requested a trade.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Arch Stanton

Oct 10, 2022
    "According to a report" Lol

I'm not disputing that Pickett asked to be traded, but I'm not convinced that the signing of Wilson was the main reason for it. That might have been the final straw that broke Pickett's back though

Edit: If they really were 100% confident that Pickett was their future, I doubt if they would've yielded to his trade request so easily. Bottom line, the Steelers didn't think he was worth the trouble, so they got rid of him

Last edited: Sep 20, 2024 at 8:02 PM
  16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You skipped the whole point I was trying to make.

17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I thought He was clutch, and I thought He was a pansy for running out. If the stories are real.
    Both can be true

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Ok

I have extremely strong feelings for the character of men and the lack there of and I base it on honesty integrity and ambition

I have zero tolerance for anything less

I agree you have the right to feel otherwise as apparently do other Pickett supporters

We all have different levels of standards

Let’s go Steelers

• Like Like x 1
  19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Yes

Yes

He said he requested to leave the Steelers that’s easy to verify

• Like Like x 1
  20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Well dude. I hope all these Qb taken in the 1st round are thought to be HOF players,,or why trade picks, and move up to take them?...., and they weren't HOF players when they were drafted. They became HOF players. Maybe because they were successful is why I remember them. I remember them struggling mightily, and them becoming successful...., and I don't remember anyone saying because they weren't getting coached up. There was a time when a player was just not good, and they either became good, or didn't, and everyone didn't cry that they weren't getting coached up. How about Bradshaw??? Did He not take a beating....was He not getting coached up????Sometimes it takes good old-fashioned hard work.

21. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    I like Romo as a commentator, no homo

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    No, he doesn't because the move to draft him in the first round, then give up on him so they can go with a pair of cast-offs continues to affect the franchise and may do so for quite a while.

Repeating the false narrative does not make it true. The team gave up on Pickett first. Assuming the reports are true, he asked for a trade out of frustration and the team used it as an excuse to bail. This was only after they signed Wilson and guaranteed him the starting job. Just because the current injury has him on the bench doesn't mean they didn't make that promise to get him to sign.

Regarding Pickett, Khan simply isn't stupid enough to give up on a quarterback he intended to keep and eventually give another chance to start just because the guy got angry and asked for a trade. Khan is smarter than that, which tells us the story you keep telling doesn't hold up.

23. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    But you keep doing it

And quite PMing me it’s getting creepy

24. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Bradshaw was over 50 years ago. The game is far too different now for that experience to be relevant.

25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Dude what do You want??? Every time I give an answer. You ask for another. I'm sorry I don't remember the guys that failed. I gave two, and they weren't good enough, because they eventually became HOFers....lol... like we knew at that time they would be. I guess people should just draft the going to be HOFers, and I give another, and that's not good enough because it's too long ago. :shrug: