1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

My thoughts on regular season wk 1.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blackandgoldpatrol, Sep 8, 2024.

1. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    No You are missing the point. You call a game to win.....not put up stats. Also You can't compare a team trying to see if they have a franchise Qb with them, or for a team that already knows. You are comparing a Qb that is in His 4th year that a team already gave up on with Qbs that are in their 1st, and 2nd years.
    Also I hate to break it to You.....just because a guy was great in college.....doesn't mean He will be great in the NFL. It's the exact same as ......just because a guy is great in HS doesn't mean He will be great in college. Each step is a huge , huge difference.

• Like Like x 1
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

My point exactly.

Play to win the game. Best way to do so?! Play to your players strengths.

We all know that Lamar isn't going to be the passer Patrick Mahomes or even Josh Allen is. Why make him such?! Create an Offense that maximizes his skills; something the Ravens have been rewarded for via two NFL MVPs.

As for Justin Fields?! Same thing applies here. Stop trying to make him read throws when dropping back to pass. Have his ass in shotgun where he can perform more read options and/or use his mobility a lot more. If he is to be under center, have him for Play Action. Arthur Smith realized this come the second half where there were more explosive plays. The first half had little to none of that until the two minute warning; the same two minute warning the Offense finally elects to wake up for every year since 2021.

Long story short?! Arthur Smith needs to adapt to Fields should Fields continue to be the starter. Not doing so is going to both stymie Fields in the end and may likely force Pittsburgh to invest in a QB in the Draft come 2025. If not 2025, oh most definitely 2026.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    This assumes they are working toward Fields being their long-term quarterback. I'm not sure that is the case. Wilson is the starter. The offense should be geared toward his strengths. Fields is filling in. They need to adapt when he is in there, but it is not about developing him. It is about getting by until the starter is able to return.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. TWISTER

TWISTER Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Caleb Williams will be in Chicago the same amount of time that MT and JF was there. You heard it here first.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Yea he put up what 130 yds. Lol.

6. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2022
    Sad that would be their best chance of scoring a TD, but you're probably right unfortunately

7. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2022
    Wouldn't surprise me none

8. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I was expecting more of Herbig, but with it being week 1 the Starters played more in a game than they will ever play once the season starts beating them down. (More rest breaks)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I would not turn the page on Fields yet. Let Wilson get completely healthy, as long as they are winning, why rush him back.

If by week 6 and Fields is what he is then switch. Maybe Wilson will provide a spark for the offense moving into the second half of the season.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    If he continues to play like he did yesterday, you are correct. Steelers will pick him up in close to 3 yrs!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    93 yds

12. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
  13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    But that's different. If you want to play Qb learn to read a D, and throw a well placed ball....., and everything else is Icing on the cake. To use your own example.....Lamar Jackson.....if He threw a better ball , and read it fast enough.....He would had not one, but two tds on that last drive, and nobody would be worried about a toe out. You do know they are Qbs. Maybe stop drafting Qb by how high they jump, how fast they run, and how far they can throw. Like Richardson. No Matter how fast , or athletic you are there will come a time in a big game when You have to scan the field, pick the right guy, and deliver a great pass.
    Also I get a kick out of the Tomlin isn't a great coach by some because of His latest playoffs record, but Lamar Jackson is all that because of only the regular season awards. Which anyone being honest knows He deserved the last MVP....the same way Garrett did over Watt for DPOY. ......He didn't.
    The so called 2 time MVP against the Chiefs, Steelers, and anyone in the playoffs.....4-12. That's what You want

Last edited: Sep 9, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I think it is going to take an act of God for Russell Wilson not to play against Denver and Sean Payton.

15. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    We could have Jalen Hurts and go to a Super Bowl... Just because Lamar is a poor playoff performer doesn't mean that running QB's will always automatically perform poorly in the playoffs. Literally 3 of the top 10 QB's in this league use their legs as a weapon (Allen, Jackson, Hurts). There are going to be more that make it. We are just now entering an era where NFL OC's know what to do with athletic QB's. They certainly aren't trying to turn Kordell Steward into Tom Brady like they used to do 10+ years ago. There are 3 potential first rounders coming next year in a similar mold in Cam Ward, Jaxson Dart, and Jalen Milroe. All dual threat options. Its gonna keep coming man, gonna have to learn to live with it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019

• Like Like x 5
  17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Fields was okay, but it's not like he threw for 300 yards and three touchdowns. How many times did he even get them in the red zone? Twice? Maybe you consider leaving your starter on the bench if he had played great, but he didn't. I don't have a problem with waiting until Wilson is fully healthy to put him back in there, but Fields hasn't done nearly enough to steal the job away.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

this will be a tough one for Tomlin to navigate. Fields gives / gave the added dimension of yards with his legs. Look at Lamar, don't just look at passing yards.

For Russ, those become incomplete passes and more 3 and outs.

I'b bet Russ sits again on Sunday. that soft tissue is just that - soft. Will take a month or more to heal, if it even does.

Tough spot for Tomlin, as I have said several times this week

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

Lamar is good. He ran into buzz saw Mahomes and A Reid.

let me repeat - LAMAR is GOOD.

would LOVE to have him on this team

2 MVP's - 5 seasons.

How many did Ben have?

thank you, thank you very much.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. Bubbahotep

Bubbahotep Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2022
    Would not be surprised if Tomlin told Sutton as part of his signing with the team, he would not appeal any suspension the NFL handed him. It wasn't a universally popular decision to sign a wife/girlfriend beater.

Also, some people are judging Bishop a little harshly. UDFA, first pro game, mistakes are expected. It wasn't like he was completely lost the whole game. Not everyone is a JPJ.

21. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

We are gonna have to agree to disagree on this one.

Playing to your players strengths increases your odds of winning. However you get wins in the NFL, you will be happy to get them for they are difficult as all hell to obtain. How the Steelers plan to use Fields will be no different.

For that matter, there is a reason why Tomlin still has a record above .500 without Big Ben.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Which would you rather have? Two MVPs or two Super Bowls? I'd take Roethlisberger in his prime over Jackson without a second thought. The primary difference when the Chiefs play the Ravens is quarterback. How often do you see Mahomes blow it in a big game?

Jackson is good, but he makes too many big mistakes when games are on the line. We have seen this in his playoff performances. We saw it against the Chiefs in the opener, too, when he missed an easy throw to a wide-open receiver. He made a nice play to give them a chance on the throw to Likely, but it never should have come down to that toe.

• Winner Winner x 1
  23. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

Jackson has just begun.

Talk to me at the end of his career.

they are very different QB's , as you know. He is one of the most electric players in the game.

He is good.

stay tuned.

oh and BTW - it is a TEAM that wins SB's, 53 men + Coaches - not just QB's

Ben sucked vs. SEA, but the TEAM did not.

24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    And people seriously think Tomlin is telling quarterbacks not to use the middle of the field

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    If Wilson is 100 percent, he should start. That should be easy. If he's not, there is no reason to rush him. Let Fields play.

• Agree Agree x 1