1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

My thoughts on regular season wk 1.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blackandgoldpatrol, Sep 8, 2024.

1. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    1. Boz had the game of a lifetime... 6 fgs, 3 over 50 yds and an emergency punt for 43 yds.... easily the MVP of this game

2. I've seen some bad officiating in my time, but this game took the cake

3. Defense stepped up big when needed

4. Staying on the defensive side.... we may have finally found a good running mate for Minkah on the back end in Elliott

5. Despite getting mauled throughout the game, TJ Watt still was the difference maker in the opposing backfield

6. Justin Fields is not the future..... hate to say it, but we may be looking QB in the draft early

7. George Pickens was the only WR to catch more than 1 pass.... Roman Wilson needs to get healthy ASAP

8. Najee ran like he had something to prove

9. Peyton Wilson is gonna be a star

10. We finally get a good punter and he gets hurt...... hope he doesn't miss much time

• Like Like x 10
    • Agree Agree x 9
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. dbellohio

dbellohio Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2012
    Great overview of week 1. I believe the offense did enough through the game to keep the defense rested, with not a lot of 3 and outs during the game, but it might have just felt that way to me.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Props Spencer Anderson and the O line in general. Queen, play like you got paid.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Spot on. Have to say I disagree with going for the first down. We kick the FG and it's 18-10 with 6-7 minutes left. We were lucky Cousins threw into coverage. Up by 8 they would have had to get into the end zone twice just to tie us.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Brandon556211

Brandon556211 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Always spot on man. It’s always best to see your posts after a win!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011

Agree with everything. I’m not sure Queen had a tackle.

7. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Only 2 3-and-outs. 72 plays on 10 drives. 35/25 advantage in TOP.

• Like Like x 1
  8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Six is a lot more on both Tomlin and Smith than it is on Fields from what I saw. Hopefully the All 22 brings this into perspective but I have my doubts it will at present. Playing it safe for nearly 3/4 of the game isn't going to amount to much of anything and playing like an NFL Offense for only 4-7 mins of the game (the entirety of the 2 minute drill) has now become asinine. Tomlin has to let Fields loose at some point.

This isn't like Kenny Pickett where he is a Rookie. Justin Fields has played in the NFL long enough to be able to operate an NFL Offense. In addition, the Steelers did the very same thing in the Preseason; severely limit Justin Fields overall. That cannot continue to happen.

Otherwise, agree with the rest! :drinks:

Last edited: Sep 10, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Good summary

Great to get the win but so much improvement needed on offence. You can’t expect the D to get you three turnovers every week

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Bijian Robinson is one of the best Running Backs in the NFL overall. Getting him to the ground wasn't going to be easy. Mind you that Bijian had over 100 total yards as a whole.

Patrick Queen will prove to be a good signing for certain. I wouldn't worry about him too much.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I expected Arthur Smith to open up the Offense in the Second Quarter. He did... at the two minute warning.. AGAIN!! Why did I say again?!

It has been that way since 2021!!! Something has got to change here!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    On #4:

I'm not sweating the lack of a true slot CB for this reason. We're going to see the 3 Safety look more often than not. With Elliot playing the Box, Kazee playing CF and Minkah freelancing, I think these guys are going to create a ton of turnovers.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Won’t panic after week 1 but they had no threat of a passing TD today

Hopefully Wilson gives them that when he gets in

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    blackandgoldpatrol another solid analysis.

I want to see what Wilson will do when he comes back which I hope is next Sunday.

15. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    I kind of am leaning to your POV with Fields. Let the guy play. Either he gets the job done or he doesn't. They have proven they can win some games playing small ball; conversely, they have shown they can lose some games using the same formula. This is all Tomlin. Smith is caught up in the backwash because he is doing what Tomlin wants. You can't expect to win 12 to 14 games and excel in the playoffs banking on winning the turnover battle and doing just enough on offense. Sooner or later, you're going to have to let JF cut it loose, especially since my gut is telling me Wilson is going to be dealing with this calf issue all year.

• Like Like x 1
  16. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Yes, three Safety looks can be a good thing some of the time. However, having a good Slot CB to take care of a good Slot WR is much more preferrable than not having one. Remember, Minkah can play the Slot for he is one of only five Safeties in the NFL that can do so at an elite level. Why elite over good?!

The way the league has pivoted towards Offense has forced teams to invest much higher on Slot CBs than ever before; Mike Hughes oddly enough having been one at Minnesota before heading to Atlanta. Not every safety has the abilities that Minkah does. That goes for both Elliot and Kazee. Neither are as quick nor are as flexible in the slot like Minkah.

Now, is Beanie Bishop the answer at present?! No. Could he be?! I hope he is.

• Like Like x 1
  17. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Oh I'd laugh if it is. Having Russell Wilson potentially beating Denver?!

What I wouldn't give to see the look on Peyton's face should that happen. I also wonder what Colin Cowherd would have to say given how close he and Sean are! :drinks:

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    I hope he's back, too. But I'm getting the sinking feeling this calf injury is going to bother him all season.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Tarasovic

Tarasovic Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2020
    The refs did everything they could to hand the Falcons a victory but the defense said NO

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Fields can be massively explosive but he is prone to bad turnovers and negative plays. I think they got the game plan right today to be fair

Only for the bizarre and completely one sided performance from the refs that’s a solid and comfortable win

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Agreed.

As I said, Justin Fields looked more comfortable as the game went on; more so in a long time. That is exactly what you want from your QB; comfort, poise and confidence. Reward Fields with some plays that can maximize his skills.

Stop playing patty cake until the end. That isn't going to work against the AFC Heavyweights.

• Like Like x 2
  22. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    Why does Colin Cowher even have an audience?

23. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    Yep, against the KC's of the league, you will have to grip it and rip it.

• Like Like x 1
  24. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

His early contributions from ESPN are likely why. Well.. from ESPNs Golden Era that is. Remember that Colin was apart of how and why ESPN rose to the top of Sports Media as it is today.

For that matter, Colin did have the number one draw on FOX Sports until Shannon Sharpe arrived for Undisputed; a show that took the entire Sports World by storm. Thanks to Skip Bayless however, that is no longer the case. Colin is now back on top as FOX Sports No. 1 Sports Show..

.... for better or worse.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Fields played fine. He didn’t make a mistake and had some nice throws. He is under pressure right now and you could see him loosen up as the game went on. Give him a chance, unfair to write him off already.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1