1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

My Steelers draft analysis

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blackandgoldpatrol, May 1, 2022.

1. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    We are doomed.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    james daniels is far more than an average FA. you will like this kid. he is quite good, mean and can move. we made 2 pretty good moves to help this team on the o-line. we drafted last year. moore will only get better. we also brought in a few UDFA o-linemen and the biggy is we got rid of an inept o-line coach. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I think you are underestimating Daniels, who should be a significant upgrade at guard. Hell, even Cole is an upgrade at center, though it would be hard not to improve on what they got out of Green last season.

They simply didn't have enough picks to address every need in this draft. They needed two receivers, offensive line help, youth on the defensive line, depth at linebacker, a safety, and possibly a cornerback. They also had a need for a long-term answer at quarterback.

They addressed the line in free agency. Clearly they saw safety as a need, which led to signing Kazee after the draft. I would have liked to see them draft offensive line help, too, but would it have really made anybody feel much better if they took one in the sixth or seventh round?

• Like Like x 3
  4. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I hope you're right. C is still a concern. And I agree late round OL picks would likely have been more of the same. Would have liked to see OL pick in 1st or at least 2nd. T is a question mark for me. I'm hopeful Moore can progress, not so sure about chuks. We'll see how much of a difference Meyer can make. I'm not seeing as rosy a picture on the current state of the OL as you and Mac. I hope I'm wrong and pleasantly surprised in the fall.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I wouldn't say my take on the offensive line is rosy. I think they will be better than last year, but that's a low bar. Center is better because now they have somebody at least competent, which is more than they had with Green. Daniels is an upgrade. Hopefully, Dotson can come back. You aren't wrong about tackle. Moore could get better, but I think Chucks is what he is at this point. Having a competent offensive line coach should help.

Linderbaum is one of the players I would have wanted them to draft ahead of Pickett, but the Steelers didn't even go to Iowa's pro day. I don't think they were even considering him. Regarding the second round, after free agency, wide receiver was their biggest need. They had two good starters, but that was it. Boykin has talent, but he was a complete bust with the Ravens. Oleszewski is just a return guy. My only problem with Pickens is that I prefer Skyy Moore, but I think they had to take a receiver there.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Just like taking a couple of average rookies via the draft wouldn't fix it.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    After re-signing Chuks and signing James Daniels, I didn't expect them to draft OL early, hopefully Moore can take that next step and Dotson can have a bounce back season.

• Like Like x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I just remember Suggs at OLB.

9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I have to disagree with the words “ come back” and use “do some thing”. He can’t come back if he was never really there.

In his first season he was inserted only because of injury and the offense had to be dumbed down due to his lack of learning the system. That information is easy to find.

Last year I’ll go with KC’s evaluation:

Those players didn't contribute for us as we expected last year, and we expect more. And we expect more opportunities. I believe they'll have those opportunities, but in all honesty, they need to give us more than we got last year.

If Dotson is cut in camp it will not surprise me.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    If that information is so easy to find, please do provide a link. Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  11. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Suggs played DE too. Can't stand that Raven...but if Leal can be like Suggs, I approve. Watt and Leal would be badass....but formerscribe say he's too slow. :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm just sharing what I read. The guy ran a 5.0-second 40-yard dash. Also, aren't the Steelers talking about him bulking up rather than slimming down? It sounds like they see him staying at end, too.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Come on

You should not have to get your internet search lessons from an old fart like me

You should be embarrassed

:facepalm:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I don't, but I do tend to push people to provide evidence for their claims. You made the claim. You should be happy to back it up. If you can't, you should be the one who is embarrassed. By the way, if it was so widely reported, I'm sure you can find a reputable source. Thanks.

15. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Sorry

Not playing your game

Find someone down to your level

I’ll stick with the big boys

16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    What game? You are claiming that Dotson was never any good and that the Steelers dumbed things down for him when he was a rookie. I have never seen that second thing. I asked you to support your claim, mostly because I was interested in reading it. Instead, you took a shot at me. It seems to me that you can't support your claim and you are trying to cover it up with this nonsense.

I guess all those reports you insisted were there don't exist. Either you thought you heard it somewhere and got it wrong or you are making things up. Please do better next time. Thank you so much. Have a great night.

17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I did have a great night

Thank you

18. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Tell that to the Chiefs who drafted Creed Humphrey in the 2nd and Trey Smith in the 6th last year. Both were day 1 starters. They also added 2 FAs and went from being one of the worst OLs in the league and arguably the reason they lost the SB to being one of the best in a single offseason.

Steelers & Chiefs were basically in the same boat with their respective OLs. One team got it right and the other pretty much f#$ked it up

BTW, we could have drafted Creed which was a higher need for C than getting a TE and then grabbing Green and trying to force a square peg into a round hole.

19. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    I don't disagree about drafting Creed, I would have rather had him than Freiermuth

• Like Like x 1
  20. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    SO your just gonna completely give up on developing the draft picks from last year? They picked up one really good interior OL free agent in Daniels. They picked up a solid OC in free agency. Chuks is developing and getting better and he is still young. Dotson has a lot of talent but he needs coached up and to be motivated. It would have been nice to get a tackle but we had a higher need at QB and WR. After that the tackle pool was depleted. If our LT doe not improve this year we can go out and draft one next year or get one in free agency. Don’t forget Ben’s immobility and in ability to pass the ball down field consistently made the offense very predictable and did not help the blocking at all. I believe you will see a completely different Canada offense this year and a much improved Offensive Line just with having a mobile QB in there and having a much more unpredictable offense with RPO, Play Action, Pre Snap Motion, etc. We also now have two WR’s that can stretch the field that will open up the underneath crossing patterns and mid seam patterns to Friermuth. Najee will have a lot more space to work with on screens and in the run game. I believe it is gong to be significantly different.

21. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    Bengals went to the Super Bowl with a terrible Offensive Line. They drafted Chase at WR instead of an Offensive Lineman. They would not have gotten to the Super Bowl without Chase.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    No way is Leal playing OLB in our system. He isn’t even capable of playing DE in a 4-3. He is way to slow and lacks exposing, twitch and bend. There aren’t a lot of teams that play 3-4 and so he was viewed as a tweeter. To slow for 4-3 end and to small for 3-4 DT/DE. He is a developmental player that is why he slid in the draft. The Steelers took him to sit behind Cam for a couple years to bulk him up and develop him. Suggs was a freak in a very different defensive system. This is not an apples to apples comparison. I honestly disliked both of the defensive picks in this draft the most because to me for us they are both speculative and developmental prospects. That is always a case for a boom or bust scenario. This is the pick I would have preferred we either moved up and drafted the DT. from Connecticut or drafted a OT. This pick only makes sense if Tuitt is coming back because it gives them time to develop the guy. If Tuitt does not come back then we need to try to get an Akiem Hicks in here or something.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    I hope Moore takes the next step. He needs to add strength. He has no muscle. His arms are pretty flabby. That always makes me nervous when an O-lineman isn’t in shape. I fear there commitment level to the profession and that they are gonna be injury prone long term.

24. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    I initially wanted them to go Online early in the draft before Free Agency but when we picked up those two guys and brought back Chucks I understood Offensive Line was not gonna be a priority. I believe they see something in Chuks and Moore and retaining Chuks was more of a reflection of how they felt about their Line coach from last year. I was really hoping for them to be defensive focused in the draft but it didn’t work out that way. If this Daniels is as a good as they say he is you only really need two really good offensive line for your overall line to be pretty good. Rarely are teams dominant across all five players. If he makes Chucks and the Center better I am happy. The other element here is we had an immobile QB and a predicatable offense last year which contributed to poor offensive line play. We are not gonna have that this year. I believe the offensive line play is gonna be significantly better this year.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  25. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Where did I say I was giving up on anyone? Moore, dotson, cole, Daniels and chuks should be a much better line then last year. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1