1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

My Offseason Plan - Offense

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by TarheelFlyer, Feb 13, 2019.

1. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I wanted to put together some thoughts about where we were headed at each position. It helps me stay a little more focused on players at the draft and not getting to crazy about potential free agents we should be looking at.

QB - No movement expected here. We may bring in another low risk camp body, but I wouldn't expect a UFA or a draft pick to be targeted.

RB - Ridley and Bell won't be back. That much I think we can say for certain. Bell should only be given the transition tag if the FO thinks they can trade him for a top 2 round pick. That would be the only reason to Tag him. I expect a free agent vet to be brought in to replace Ridley's roster spot. I also wouldn't be surprised to see a late round pick on a RB. A guy who slips lower than he should, but has a high ceiling.

TE - Vance is safe. Xavier might be brought back or he might not. I'm not sure anyone on the coaching staff really likes him all that much. His status may be more about Jessie James than anything else. I think they would like to keep James, but I'm not sure how that will work. For me, I think they try, but I also think if a high pick TE falls in their laps say in the 2nd round or 3rd round, they may look to create a 2 headed monster at the position. It may be one area that will help us balance out losing AB. I don't expect a free agent other than ones which are already in our camp to be looked at, but I think a draft pick may be looked at by the FO.

WR - In the last year we have moved on from AB, MB, DHB, and Hunter. I think we have 4 capable WRs on the roster, but I don't think we have an X on the roster unless James Washington can take on that role. If that is the case we either need to add an X or we need to draft one. Ideally, I think we add one in free agency AND in the draft. Eli and Switzer provide plenty of depth for the slot. In the draft, I think whatever pick we get for AB may be used to add another X receiver. I also think this could be a 2 WR draft year, much like the year we took E. Sanders and AB one year after we took Wallace.

OL - 3 of our starters are still set. AV, Pouncey, and DD are set. Gilbert could be a casualty cut and Foster may not be back. Ideally, Foster is back, Hawkins and Chuck are the depth tackles and Feiler and Finney are the backup interior guys. If any of Gilbert, Foster, or Finney are not back, look for us to add someone in the later rounds in the draft. I don't expect a UFA signing.

So to summarize:

QB - Nothing
    RB - Veteran or late pick
    TE - High draft pick if the right guy falls.
    WR - 2 draft picks
    OL - Late draft pick unless Foster and Gilbert both return.

2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I don't see them drafting 2 receivers, maybe sign a WR in FA and draft one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I do think Gilbert goes. I think Hawkins goes to. We kept bannon. We have Prince still as interior help. We do need a center capable backup guy, especially if foster were to go.

I do think grumble may be brought back.

We will have to see what Edmunds brings as the 3rd rb. I expect some udfas and maybe a guy cut with some experience from another team.

We draft a wr. We have a few futures guys here too. I'm on the Deebo samuel train. :cool:

4. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I pretty much guarantee a TE will be drafted. I wouldn't be upset with Hockenson at 1:20 even with defense being needed so much more. I'd still take CB Byron Murphy over Hockenson though if both are available.
    Same for WR, but like 6 said, I think one drafted and one FA.
    Foster is looking for a payday so I think he may be elsewhere so Finney steps up there. An interior guy should be drafted imo. I think we are set at OT even if Gilbert leaves. You'd have Chuks and Feiler. And the question mark of Hawkins. We need a G/C guy imo.
    RB is tough to predict for me. I can see either a vet or a draft pick/UDFA.