1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

My Observations

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelers5895, Apr 18, 2019.

1. steelers5895

steelers5895 Member

May 1, 2018
    I don't usually post but I figure I would put all my free floating hostilities from the last 6 months in one email

1- It amazes me how many "fans" were happy that Brown is gone. Hey I could care less about a players character. Ability wins games and he has the best WR ability in football. If Character was what won football games, I'd be on the team. This is another example of the steelers old and outdated stance on contracts biting them in the butt. Brown wanted a new contract, knew Steelers don't re- negotiate, so he went CTE on everyone and got himself given away to Oakland.

2- I love Conner, he is a good Running Back. Le'Veon Bell is a GREAT FOOTBALL PLAYER!!!!! If you care more about fantasy football than yeah, you can compare the 2. If you care about Steelers winning football games, then its not even close. Bell is a RB defenses have to plan for. Not to mention he is a closer. We wound up with a Tie vs the Browns, a loss to the Broncos, an almost loss to the Jags when Conner dropped a pass that Bell catches, and our back up RB lost us the saints game with his fumble. Plus, we could not close out the Chargers with out running game so we were passing with a lead. Shame on the Steelers for not guaranteeing him more money. Again, old and outdated negotiating tactics.

3- I missed Martavius Bryant. Again, its not fantasy football. His stats were never great but he took the top off the defense and opened things up for Brown and Co. I felt Browns struggles were because of both the loss of Bell AND Bryant. No deep threat hurt us.

4- WTF are we doing re-signing Chickillo to a 2 year, 8 Million contract? He is by far the worst OLB we ever had. Watch the games. he has no moves and is constantly getting pushed past the QB on his rush. He also cant get a RB down so the RB always gets extra yards. Oh, and if he would have held his block on the fake punt in New Orleans, Nix makes the first down. Chickillo got blown back into the running lane. Would rather us give #92 a shot for a fraction of the salary

5- Moncrief is a good signing. Never really played with a good QB. I am pulling for him as we need him.

6- Why is Bud Dupree going to make 9.5 million this year?

7- Just curious to those who say what have we won with bell and brown? What do you expect to win without them? are we going to be a team that loses a top 3 rb and top wr and win more? do you not realize having the explosive offense was needed to carry our BAD defense? NO bell NO playoffs. NO bell and Brown....?

8- This draft will determine if Ben will see another super bowl. We can't miss with our first 4 picks. They need to be ILB (if one of the Devins), WR, CB, best available D player

9- Although we start slow, the Pats start slower. Best we get them week 1 than late in the year. we won last year but we lost to them more then we won.

10- my fingers hurt from typing...Go Steelers!

• Dislike Dislike x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I hope you feel better. :smiley1:

3. steelers5895

steelers5895 Member

May 1, 2018
    a little. some times you just have to say F it

• Like Like x 1
  4. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    A happy locker room with everyone pulling together can be just as valuable as elite talent. The Pats won the Superbowl last year with a bunch of journeymen receivers and a rookie RB, beating a team stacked with stars in the big game.

I’m gutted that Brown and Bell are gone, you are right in that they are difference makers, if Bell played last year the Team makes the playoffs, no question for me. Brown was seemingly a PITA for some time and Bell wanted crazy money. It’s a pity but it is what it is. There is no point in looking back. I’m hopeful for 2019 regardless.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
  6. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    If the Steelers get contributors in this year's draft, I could see them going 11-5 without Bell and Clown. Nelson and Barron improve the defense more than Sensabaugh and Burnett. They need the ILB that can help cover. If they get the ILB, the defense improves enough to offset the losses somewhat on offense. I believe there will be a chip on the shoulders of Tomlin and Roethlisberger, so we may actually see more focus in the team. I am hoping Moncrief and Washington can equal most of Clown's production. Conner will be better than last year. The Steelers could go 11-5, they could go 8-8, or they could bottom out at 6-10. As bad as 2018 was, it was not boring. There is a lot of talent on the roster and with a draft similar to 2017, the Steelers should compete for the division and/or playoffs.

7. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I noticed you omitted the fact that he had just signed a contract the year before with the biggest signing bonus the Steelers have ever given out. So he wanted a new contract after getting a crap ton of his money up front from the one he just signed.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    It was time for Brown to go, his baggage outweighed his abilities. As great as AB was, he never led them to winning a SB, heck they never even got there with him as a starter :shrug:.

• Agree Agree x 6
  9. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    My observations: Brown and Bell achieved ZERO Super Bowls for the Steelers.

• Winner Winner x 6
  10. IZONUFOTO

IZONUFOTO Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    cool...nice to vent sometimes....btw MARTAVIS......Not Martavius.....yeah Im THAT guy....

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    My observations:. Willie Parker and Hines Ward = 2 Lombardi trophies.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. jrompola

jrompola Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    All fine observations, but there seemed to be a lot of resentment in the locker room towards a few guys. This is not the NBA..the ELITES do not equal superbowls unless your ELITE is the qb. I always try to think of teams with top RBs that won superbowls in recent history and I can think of Lynch only going back to the early 2000s and Faulk.

Martavis Bryant would be suspended on any team he is on, so maybe if he didn't have issues he'd be good to still have. Doubt he ever plays again.

The players recently have been saying all the right things about team first, so hopefully we can see something special this year.

13. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    To me, its who's driving the bus that determines how far we go each year, not as much as who's on it although it helps. So, as long as the same drivers remain in the drivers seat, we go as far as they'll take us. See Patriot comment above.

14. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I will bet once upon a time there were fans saying good bye to Joe Green, Jack Lambert, Jack Ham, Lynn Swann, Mel Blount, L. C. Greenwood, John Stallworth, Franco Harris, Terry Bradshaw, and many others who thought, "Well, we will never win another Superbowl!"

15. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    It was 26 years. How long do you think we will live?

:drinks:

• Like Like x 2
  16. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    I didn't. I was late to the game in the 70's.... but I always believed Steelers would win #5. And they did. Steelers will win #7. The argument is... will they win it with Roethlisberger or another QB?

There's gonna be some down years... starting with '19, but Steelers are a resilient franchise and they will recover and compete for a Super Bowl.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  17. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    1. I believe in having good character on the team. Athletes should not be above the law. I also believe in honouring your word/written contract. AB agreed to play for a certain amount. He should have honoured that until such time as he was in a position to negotiate a new deal. I don't believe in giving in to entitled babies. If only the entire league did things the same way, people like AB would get with the program or be out of football. The world would be a better place with more accountability.

2. I agree. If the Steelers weren't so stubborn with guaranteed money, Bell would still be with the team and we'd be better off as a result.

3. Bryant sucked. It makes no sense to have a guy out there that sucks. Not to mention he kept failing drug tests. Getting rid of him was a smart move. He was a liability on and off the field

4. Our defence has been a disaster since Tomlin took over. It doesn't seem to matter who we put in there, we simply suck on that side of the ball. I have a hard time blaming players at this point.

5. Agreed. Moncrief has plenty of upside. Been lots of hype his whole career. Hopefully that's not all it is. Worth the risk though

6. Because we suck on defence and have no idea what we're doing or what we want to do

7. This team is so inconsistent it would surprise me if we went 13-3 or 6-10. So who knows what is to come this year

8. I have zero faith in this management/coaching staff to properly address our defence. They've shown no ability to do it

9. Agreed. They are vulnerable early

18. tyler christopher

tyler christopher Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2016

That offense would not have come close to putting up 42 pts against best defense in football..... Parker and ward played with great defenses.........

19. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I have told my kids I will live long enough to make their lives miserable. How long does that take?

20. nor

nor Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2016
    the window is closed

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  21. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Steelers better be careful, as I type this the Penguins are on their way to a downward trend and my beloved Pirates are in first place:) When I grew up in the city it was a Pirate town but the Steelers took over in the 70's but they best beware.

I jest of course, the cheap ass owner of the Pirates will keep them in hell and the Steelers will continue to own Pittsburgh sports.

22. THREE RIVER SHIVER

THREE RIVER SHIVER Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2017
    YOU SAID IT ALL WHEN YOU SAID YOU COULD CARE LESS ABOUT A PLAYERS CHARACTER..THATS A PROBLEM..

• Agree Agree x 3
  23. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah I never understood the whole notion of " well this guy didn't win or we didn't win with them " Football is the ultimate team sport compared to any of the others. The whole SB thing for QBs is overrated as well. They can't do it by themselves. So Marino is a bum? Damn Trent Dilfer has a ring....so he must be better right? Jim Plunkett won 2SBs ,he must be as good as Ben. The whole " ring" narrative started with the NBA and MJ and how everyone else completely failed in comparison because of how many rings he won. In basketball 1 guy can make a huge difference and even then name me a team in the NBA who won with 1 guy and not a pretty damn good supporting cast? Football requires a much larger supporting cast.

24. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I agree with most of what you're saying and get your point, but NBA 'ring counts' date back to the 50's/60's with Bill Russell and his 11 titles in 13 seasons.

[​IMG]

25. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Oh I know Russell has the most but to me the conversation didn't really start until MJ started racking them up. It was only when people started saying Jordan was the best because he had 6 that people started saying...well Russel has 11. Either way the NBA started that BS.