1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

My observations from the Saints stiff arm

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blackandgoldpatrol, Nov 13, 2022.

1. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    the Kazee hit was called because it was high and helmut to helmut if the hit had been lower and there was no helmut to helmut than I think there would have been no call.

i will say this: my immediate reaction after the win was "meah" but than I was watching on NFL+ replay and I am starting to like more that win, there were a lot of things to build off of. Pickett played better than I initially thought

• Like Like x 2
  2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    It wasn't helmet-to-helmet. The helmets didn't even touch. That is why it was a terrible call.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    at 5:40 you can see it was high (helmut to helmut)

4. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I don't know what kind've magic tape and shots the sideline docs and such used, but after Kenny went into the tent, he was a completely different QB. Up until that sack that he got hurt on, I'd argue that Kenny has regressed and by a lot. And despite such regression, he was actually showing flashes of what he may end up being. That backwards pass that went well behind Harris and rolled out of bounds was the absolute bottom point (well at least so far). His pocket awareness just isn't there. He's not moving up in the pocket, for whatever reason. A few of those sacks were definitely on Pickett. He's also struggling to read defenses, or whatever the Saints were throwing at him. Numerous times the Saints showed one look and immediately went into a different look and left Pickett scrambling for his life, resulting in sacks, throwaways or just missed the receivers. He also threw quite a few dimes, even in the first 2+ Q's. That slant pass to DJ was perfect, that sideline pass to Harris was perfect and several others. After his ankle got taped up, I guess he got better literal footing or something. His throws looked better and as a result of that his decision making just felt better. For the most part, despite him struggling out there, he was still able to march them up and down the field. Probably should've gotten a TD on one of the drives that ended with a missed FG, but that's on Canada as much as it's on Kenny. At least after this game, there appears to be some sort of foundation for Pickett to build upon and begin the process of progression.

As for the run game. I was pleased to see what I saw in the second half. In the first half, I felt that the run game looked solid, despite any true commitment to running the ball. I feel that Najee should be getting 25 carries per game and Warren should be getting 15 carries per game. Yea, we got 217 on the ground, but 51 of those were because of Kenny scrambling. Again, there's at least some appearance of something to build upon for the following weeks. The run game has shown promise. I'm just not convinced that Canada is going to lean on the run game at all, or there would've been more of an effort to establish it early in the game. Kenny attempted 12 passes, but a few of the pass plays were sacks or Kenny ended up scrambling. Ideally, Kenny should have about 15 pass plays per half and be a game manager, and that requires Canada to establish the run early.

Yes, it's only the Saints and they have to perform better against better opponents to win in the coming weeks. But I'm not about wins and losses this season. It's about building a foundation for the future and that starts with development. When things, IE: run game, are being developed and become successful, wins are going to eventually come. Saints are a terrible team, and its ok to feel that the Steelers should've scored more and yada. Missing two fg's was an issue as well. 26-10 looks better than 20-10, for sure. 30-10 or 34-10 looks even better. But this offense is a work in progress. It's not going to look like a well-oiled machine, and I'm not sure what some are expecting. The theme of my post is simple, we have a foundation. Something we didn't have following the other two wins of the season. Keep building ontop of this foundation and Kenny & the offense are going to progress.

As for the defense. TJ and company took over. Not really much to dissect here. Saints OL being decimated definitely helped, but I think TJ and company shuts down the Saints today, injuries or not. TJ was just a man on a mission today. Other than the end of the first half, this was as perfect as a day, on defense, that one can expect in modern football.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Madmike77

Madmike77 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2019
    I thought Pickett was solid. Watching the replays, the Steelers receivers seem to almost never get separation, which forces every throw to be nearly perfect.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

#2 is HILARIOUS

7. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    KP can play much better, for him he had an average game. He is much more accurate and needs
    to make his reads faster and this is going to take some time. Remember he is a rookie and going to make rookie
    mistakes. He needs to learn better movement within the pocket to give him some more time. Remember KP,
    get down quickly these players are wanting to end your career.

8. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Couldn't agree more with what you said. I was at the game but, regardless, sometimes Kenny held on to the ball too long but every QB is guilty of doing that sometimes. He looks confident and that's huge in my opinion.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Agree but with some reservation. Picket accounted for some of that yardage scrambling but gained it nonetheless. I was happy to see the OL getting some push which opened some lanes of Harris and Warren. However, on the QB sneak for the TD, our center got pushed back nearly 4 yards instantaneous after the snap but KP wasn't affected. Overall, the OL gave KP time and wasn't all that bad with run blocking either. JMO>

• Like Like x 1
  10. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Agree, although I am not going to be all that giddy beating a 3 win team at home. we did just beat another NFL team and that is all that matters. This game gave a much-needed stop gap into the trend/ trajectory many thought we were on. Now that this has been done, the next game against a team with a winning record, a division rival, and at home will determine if we're on the right track or not. Loved beating the Red Rifle and it looked like he just wanted to cry at times. Beautiful thing it was. JMO>

• Like Like x 3
  11. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I believe our route tree, route design is seriously flawed. Not only do we need a run game coordinator but a pass game
    coordinator would help KP development.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    Agree, been waiting for that play all year. BTW, never saw it again in the game, unless I'm mistaken. That throw had to be in the right spot and he made it. Throw to Johnson was great as well. Now if Johnson can stop running backwards when he has a first down which are hard to come by this year, that would be nice. I really wonder if a coach puts that up on the screen and teaches him, dude you had the first down take it dont run backwards. Know the situation!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I read an Article that they used Mason Rudolph and ton in practice and were looking at him like he was Tysom Hill

They were ready for Tysom Hill so it must of worked well.

I'll chalk that up as a good coaching decision.

• Like Like x 3
  14. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I would like to see Freiermuth be the main target in the Redzone, I'm not a fan of the throwing fade routes in the endzone to Diontae.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    That can't be according to some fans on here the coaching staff is totally incompetent.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Freiermuth, Pickens, and Gentry running around in the End Zone.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    So then run it !

Hahahahahahaha!

Do it.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    This might be the funniest thing posted here in the 11 years the board has existed

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3