1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

My observations from the jets junk heap

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blackandgoldpatrol, Oct 3, 2022.

1. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    1. The defense is wildly undisciplined and inconsistent... Make a great play one moment and give up a big play the next

2. Nearly every time Minkah was played near the line of scrimmage, the secondary got torched

3. Kenny Pickett has some growing pains to go through, but the offense clearly looks more fluid with him as opposed to Mitch

4. George Pickens looked great with a QB that can actually deliver the ball

5. Where the hell was Claypool

6. We would've been better off with the statue of liberty on defense as opposed to Devin Bush

7. Najee and Warren need to touch the ball a combined 27 times minimum

8. No other QB that I know of can say that every pass they threw in their debut got caught

9. Boz seems to be getting stronger every season

10. Here's hoping Coach Tomlin stays with Pickett

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    5.) No idea.

10.) For the teams sake, I hope so.

1-4 and 6-9 sum up my thoughts honestly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. nor

nor Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2016
    once again, nice observations B+G. keep up the good work. interesting reading.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    agree on 6, Bush always seems to be a day late, how many times have i seen him around the play but someone else actually making it.

Tomlin would be crazy to go back to MT next week.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Here’s a big one… the defense fell apart without Edmunds. Yeah, really. I won’t have time to watch the All 22 to really understand why, but it was really night and day. Coincidence? I have no idea from just watching once on live TV.

Here’s another. Zach Wilson played very well in the 4th quarter. It takes two to tango, and the other guys get paid too. Don’t get me wrong, our defense sucked @ss in the 4th quarter, but Wilson made some big boy throws to make our defense pay for sucking @ss. The guy is twitchy as hell and can be like a greased salamander for pass rushers to get ahold of.

I can’t blame the loss on Pickett. If not for his passing, especially the gusty 3rd down dart to Freiermuth with Q Williams in his face, we’re not in the game in the last 10 minutes. Yeah, his first 2 interceptions were pretty poor throws, but our defense was playing so poorly by the time he threw his 2nd that we would not have avoided the poor outcome if we had done anything less than scoring a TD on that possession.

Finally, Heyward. A number of fans are down on him. He’s old… doesn’t make enough plays, etc. I disagree. The problem with Heyward is that he needs to do too much. He’s still a great player, but he can’t play the majority of the snaps and still have gas left in the tank in the 4th quarter. We’re going to need to be able to spell him more throughout the game without having the defensive front collapse.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I have asked for 2 weeks, please Steelers get Mark Robinson in there, whether he is ready or not he can't be much worse than our ILB's
    Opposing teams, have a blank check down the center of the field in the 8-10 yd range. It is pitch and catch at this point. Also please coaching staff, give another wr a chance
    at Claypoole's spot.For all the measurables this guy has, he seems very uncoordinated when going for ball (Maybe he needs glasses) Also let's sit Gunner down on the punt returns and try someone else back there. Also as B&G stated Najee and Warren atleast 25 touches a game.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  7. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

trade claypool. could use the draft picks next year.

• Like Like x 1
  8. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    highest paid D in the league and they play like the #15 ranked. not a good recipe.

Bush sucks - but we know that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    #8 great laugh.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Two bright spots out of the loss. Pickett and Pickens.

All the receivers level of play should rise with a QB that can delivery them the ball but Pickens especially will be a beast.

Picketts to Pickens! Get used to that.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Its a mouthful isn't it? Did you know the Pens also drafted someone with Pick (Pickings?) in their name? Just a fun fact....

• Like Like x 2
  12. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Steeler Hats off to blackandgoldpatrol. Excellent observations.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Agreed on all counts. They are asking too much of Heyward. They have no choice. It is so much easier for teams to focus on him and Highsmith without Watt out there.

I've been trying to make the same point about Pickett's second interception. If he throws that one away, it is third-and-15 at the 36. At best, they gain a few yards to help Bosworth push the lead to six and leave the Jets plenty of time.

It wasn't just losing Edmunds. They lost Sutton at some point, too. I have to go back and watch to try to figure out when he injured his hamstring. By the end of the game, they were missing four of their top six defensive backs. The Jets did much of their damage on those last two drives going after Maulet and Norwood, guys who wouldn't even be on the field if they had Witherspoon, Sutton, Edmunds, and Kazee. Edmunds is still mediocre at best, but what they have behind him is even worse and that is what we saw yesterday.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Claypool was doing what he usually does, losing on 50-50 balls.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Claypool and Bush are enormous disappointments.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I had heard some analysts say that at Notre Dame, Claypool did not do a great job on 50-50 balls. He just didn't use his size to win them. I had hoped he would improve upon that as a pro, but he clearly hasn't. He can still be useful, but I don't think he is every going to be anything special as long as he plays small like he did Sunday.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    1. I don't know which is more undisciplined, the defense or the offense. How many penalties can an OL get and still expect to keep drives alive? The season is still young, but our coaches seem to be still playing checkers against chess players. JMO>

18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    They were definitely sloppy. They still can't figure out how to run an RPO without getting too far down field when it is a pass. They took two of those penalties yesterday. The first one, which was called on Daniels, killed the opening drive of the game.

19. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    It was all right there on tape. I recall citing to a specific game where he was beaten for an interception on a 50/50 ball by a DB who was well under 6’ when I expressed my concern over the selection. I had hoped that he could develop the ability to take advantage of his physical stature, but it seems to be ingrained into him to fall away from the ball. I don’t get it. It’s like he has no balance.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

Another observation, Gunner needs to go. Whats the status on Austin?

• Agree Agree x 3
  21. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I had more hope for Claypool. But it appears that he has serious difficulty catching the ball.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I'm with you on this. Hell he may get torched at times...we already are, but the cat has been let out of the bag, this is a rebuilding year. You can only learn so much from practice..as long as they can use the rookie errors as a teaching tool, let him play and get the experience.

23. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    11. I miss #7. Even a 40 year old Ben is better than the bums we have on the roster at QB. Giving Pickett the benefit of the doubt since he got thrown under the bus yesterday. Not been a fan of the pick from day 1 but he has more upside than the likes of Mitch & Mason.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    the team has been undisciplined under tomlin since the beginning.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Agreed Edmunds play really allows Minka to play centerfield, and he never gets the credit for being a dependable sidekick to Minka.

• Like Like x 1