1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

My observations from the Browns burnout

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blackandgoldpatrol, Sep 22, 2022.

1. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    1. The entire defense took the night off

2. Mitch Trubiski either was incapable or not allowed to make more than one read on his passing plays

3. O-line was actually slightly above average

4. Najee and Warren ran particularly well, but overall, the offense could not establish an identity

5. The secondary in particular got taken to school

6. Why can't our coaches make appropriate adjustments

7. The special teams coverage unit was the best unit out there

8. George Pickens made the catch of the night, but was hardly targeted downfield otherwise

9. DJ's 2 drops were particularly ugly

10. We are officially in trouble

• Agree Agree x 12
    • Like Like x 2
  2. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Don’t forget not targeting friermuth until under 4 minutes left…

stupid penalties

predictable play calling. My 12 year who plays center was calling what was going to happen before the snap

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  3. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I hate losing but there we too many holes to have fixed in one off-season. It'll take a couple of years to get where we need to be. Kinda feels like the 1998-2000 years.

• Agree Agree x 8
  4. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    I though Warren out played Harris
    Harris missed the hole a few times , once he cut right when the opening was clearly to the left behind Dotson
    Harris runs like a scat back and Warren runs like a full back

• Agree Agree x 6
  5. Holla back

Holla back Member

Jul 10, 2022
    Too much loyalty. Steelers should be starting Jaylon Warren at RB, Pickett at QB and Dionte, Pickens, Friermuth and Gentry on offense. Bring Najee and Claypool off the bench.

• Like Like x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. OH Steeler Fan

OH Steeler Fan Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2019
    I like Claypool, he needs a real qb.
    He seems more mature since Juju left.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Not to discredit your son, but my cat was drawing up plays in his litter box that looked better than what was happening on the field.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 10
    • Like Like x 1
  8. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014

9. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Trubisky is garbage

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. ThrowToHeath

ThrowToHeath Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    I really want a Timmons-type anchor ILB who can take down RBs like Chubb. Wishful thinking perhaps.

Also, Highsmith is good but we get no value from the other OLBs with Watt hurt. They just aren't contributing.

As for the offense, this won't be a popular opinion but I think Harris is more valuable as a receiver out of the backfield, like Bell was, than as a true running back. We waste too many downs trying to run up the middle. I know Pittsburgh people like/want smashmouth power football, but that's not the game today. You can open up the running game with a good downfield passing game. The one good note from tonight was that they were able to pick up a few short 3rd downs by running the football which seems to be difficult for them over the past couple of years.

QB play? IDK Trubisky makes some good throws. I am not sure that Kenny will bring that is a clear upgrade but we don't know without trying I guess? I just wouldn't want him to go in, show no offensive improvement, and then start off his career on a bad footing. I am not as convinced as the rest of the world that a few good pre-season games against 3rd stringers was enough to dub him the second-coming of Ben.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    Pickens could have had a TD if he didn't try to one-hand another throw.

DJ, and other WRs, as Haley said, are sloppy.

There is no leadership on the offense - everyone is young and Trub is not respected. Ben's leadership and poise is clearly missed.

Warren should get much more snaps.

OC still sucks.

Trub's arm looks weaker than Ben's on many throws.

MLB is a huuuuuuuugggggeeee issue. They can't stop the run or stop the middle short/medium passes.

34 gave up two TDs - a waste of a roster spot.

The D has played more snaps than any other unit in the league - that causes many many issues.

The fat punter sucks.

Gunner is waaaay over rated.

Cats make better OCs than Canada.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    On the positive side:

OL is much much better than anticipated.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. ThrowToHeath

ThrowToHeath Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    Thinking a little more, do we throw too much to DJ? Like that was a big thing in Ben's last two season and while I think DJ is good, he isn't AB. Perhaps we spread the ball around more and get the TEs involved more. Oh, Claypool never seems to get open anymore, at least form what I can observe.

14. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Trubisky has a strong arm, but is wildly inaccurate at times.

15. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    11. 10 days to get Pickett ready and it is time. Staying with Mitch is forfeiting the season.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    You are wrong

He’s actually been very good for 4 straight games

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. SteelersBane

SteelersBane Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2020
    Mitch Trubisky is not the answer. Next game should be Kenny Pickett's debut. Yes, rookie QBs usually sit and learn behind veteran QBs but the only thing Kenny should take from Trubisky is NOT to do what he does. If Pickett picks up on same habits Trubisky has we are screwed.

Najee Harris' troubling tendency to miss wide open holes in running plays and run into more crowded areas continues and seems to not get any better. He was outplayed by an undrafted back in Jaylen Warren.

George Pickens' spectacular one-handed catch was overshadowed by the fact he did not get targeted again until late in the game, Diontae Johnson's drops were killers. Why wasn't Pat Freiermuth not getting targeted until late in the game?

Offensive line was the most decent of all position groups on offense tonight. Defensive line, on the other hand, was getting mauled by Cleveland's offensive line.

I have officially run out of patience with Devin Bush, he is a bust and needs to go ASAP, the fact we traded what we gave up just to move up to take him disgusts me. Spillane is no better. Linebacking corps needs an overhaul and I do not think much of our secondary either (Outside of Minkah Fitzpatrick). Ahkello Witherspoon and Terrell Edmunds were trash tonight.

Oh, and Pressley Harvin sucks as an NFL Punter. He can go, too.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Roethlisberger's most outstanding career stat: 41 fourth-quarter comebacks, the third-most in NFL HISTORY!!!

upload_2022-9-22_22-28-41.jpeg

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. VanIsle

VanIsle Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2021
    As an old 44 year old long long time fan new to these boards this is my take. .

Huge Bruins fan....Claude Julien was the head coach for years but voices are tuned out. . Tomlin you are the same. . .Time to go bud. .

Trubisky has 2 Td passes and 1 pick in 3 games with a rating under 80%. . .

Honesty the 0 line is alright. . .

Pickett time. . . If you don't believe me or everywhere else . . Finish this sentence.

I like to do the same things over and over and expect . . . .

Trubisky your Tim Couch. . . Please step to the left and get the f.... out. . .

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Losing to the Browns is a real thing now.

That’s sad.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    My 6-11 prediction may have been generous. This is a very bad football team. Chickens have finally came home to roost for that idiot MT

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Agreed with everything except the running game comments. Yes, you can open up the running game by throwing, but I don't think we have that ability. Trubisky just isn't good enough to keep the defence honest on his own. We need to be able to run the ball to help out our passing game. There's nothing wrong with running up the middle. That's where most running plays go for every team. If you can't run up the middle, you won't be able to run to the outside either. Defences are just too fast. The blocking needs to be there and while our run blocking isn't bad, it's also not great

23. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016

Without Ben,the steelers will now struggle big time to win close game!

24. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    2 things the steelers are already missing without Ben...

Even though he was washed last year, he was still good to win close game in the fourth quarter, so it's going to be a big struggle to win close game without him.

The other thing, he was still respected by his teammates in offense even if he was no longer the same QB... This year, it's really not the same thing with Mitch, the receivers complaint so much even if the majority of the time they are right on this....the steelers miss his leadership a lot...

• Like Like x 1
  25. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    My take? Hockey season is just around the corner....

Seriously tough game to watch last night, my first full game of the season seen. 1 for 9 on 3rd down is horrible..... at the same time I thought they said two 2nd half drives by the browns consumed 6 & 7 minutes of time..... time of possession was horrid at 23m vs 36min. Outside of the amazing Pickens catch, it's hard to get excited about much..... but like I said first.... waking up to 40 degree temps, fall is upon us..... go Pens!!!

• Like Like x 1