1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

My observations from the Browns bashing

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blackandgoldpatrol, Jan 8, 2023.

1. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    In the lead up to the Packers/Lions game tonight, they were going over Rodgers first game against the Lions where he was missing numerous receivers that were blatantly open. Just not seeing the field. Even the really good ones miss open guys. Let's just hope it doesn't become a trend next year, which I don't believe it will.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I'm watching the replay and the opening drive the completion to DJ. He makes a good move to get past Ward who then breaks off following and curls into his zone but strangely DJ slows to a stop and sits in the zone. Not sure how close the zone over the top was to him but was slow to almost a stop when you made a great move off the line.

3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Got myself a nice 5-hour snooze after the game to get ready for work. The selfish side of me is happy with not making the playoffs and that's only because I can get back into a sleeping pattern again without waking up much earlier to see games or going to bed much later than I should to watch games. Working this 1030-0630 shift is brutal when these games are starting at 10am on the WC. However, if the Steelers made it, I'd be an idiot to complain.

I want to start my game thoughts with Canada. These last 3-4 games Canada just might have saved his job. Against the Ravens, if Boswell hits those 2 FG's he missed last week, the Steelers would've scored on 5 of 7 possessions. Yes it would've been nice to score TD's and finish drives, but this offense has been getting going in some capacity and today it bared some fruit as they scored 3 TD's and should've had a 4th TD. Today was probably his best day as a play-caller.

DJ really killed me today. I don't know if he's pressing or just trying too hard, but asldkfjaldsjf those drops today were awful. I'm not sure how many drops he got credited with, I think 3, but there was at least 5 catches he should've made. Him and Kenny are far as far can be when it comes to being on the same page. I hope they build some chemistry in the off season. I kinda would like to see DJ moved to the slot.

Lil Heyward is going to be one hell of a weapon for this team as a FB/TD/H-Back tweener type. We can use him in so many different ways. He stepped up nicely today. Pickett to Pickens is going to be a wonderful combo for years to come. I thought Pickett had mostly a C+ game until that last drive where he hit big pass after big pass and eventually we got a running TD. I'd give Pickett a solid B.

Defensively, the only player that stood out for the wrong reason was Mark Robinson. I think he has a bright future, but he missed some big tackles/sacks today in big moments. He's going to be fine. It was great to see this defense rack up the sacks and get a few more interceptions. Overall, a solid day for this defense.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Robinson really was awful yesterday. The early missed tackle on Chubb and the way he just slipped right off Watson were just inexcusably bad.

• Agree Agree x 6
  6. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I was at this game - the crowd was really into the game! Kenny was a little off at the start but, at the end of the day, this team is starting to gel big time. I am excited for next season for sure.

• Like Like x 3
  7. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Unfortunately you might be right.

#2) Pickens best be the #1 next season. Johnson cannot be trusted and best work this out in the offseason. I just don't get the hook running backwards. That's a college move.

#3) Conner Heyward was money! Might spell the end of Gentry who is an UFA

Nice job as usual by blackandgoldpatrol

8. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    He did struggle but I feel this kid will only get better with more opportunities. I like his upside.

• Like Like x 1
  9. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I think you may see Gentry return

10. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I think so, too. He is the only really strong blocker among the tight ends.

11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I liked some of what I've seen, but those were some ugly missed tackles. That's not something that is caused by a lack of experience. That's just sloppy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    2. Agreed. Still think he was inbounds on that one circus catch
    5. Roughing penalty on Cam was justifiable. You cannot throw a QB down like that. Technically Watsons feet left the ground in a pickup up motion.
    7. We would not have stood a chance in playoffs anyways. With Freiermuth out it may those chances worse. We need to regroup for next year. KP is the real deal
    8. Better overall team next year if they can fix LB and OL
    9. Canada might be staying because we have a works in progress with KP and Tomlin got to 500 on the season. Might be less rush for Canada to be ousted.

13. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Fair and I agree but it seems like Watson was running around and hard to take down for most of the team. The one wiff by Robinson seemed like Watson might have been bathing in lube.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It's one thing to fail to bring Chubb down. He's a tough guy to tackle, but Robinson looked like he was just flopping at Chubb's feet on that pass play on the Browns' first possession.

Watson is tough to bring down, too, but a linebacker has to be able to deliver a good hit on a play like that.

15. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I have no issue with them signing Gentry I like the kid. He is more of a blocker. And if he does leave there goes Muths and his cooking show. I do feel that Hayward isn't going to be a one trick pony. He will block but the kid has some real receiving skills.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Heyward is not a good in-line blocker. Maybe he will get better, but this year, Gentry was the only tight end they had who was good at it.

Heyward isn't bad blocking in space, which figures for a guy who played a good bit of fullback and tailback in college.

17. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    This might spell the end of Derek Watt. He's a UFA. He also made 4,713.334 mill in 2022 :eek: WTF! Heyward can play fullback when they use one which is rare.

He will get better I believe. Just a rook. Having Gentry back would be great so maybe something can be worked out and isn't a bad receiver either. He only made 1,051.115 in 22. A nice 3 year deal maybe at 2 per? The tight end room would be solid for a couple of seasons going forward.

Good news on Freiermuth the knee injury was just a sprain.

18. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    bye bye Derek, unless you want to play to $650,000......

19. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    His brothers looked out for him and he made his money.

20. Ironman

Ironman Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    If we can see how lil Heyward made some great catches and seems to have great hands I hope to God the coaching staff sees this. If he doesn't get more opportunities it would be crazy and another sign our OC doesn't get it. Sometimes guys on paper don't fit the prototype of what a certain position player should look like but then you can't see someones heart and desire on paper. Look at Stetson from Georgia and what he overcame. BTW, sent a text to my boys when it was 10-7 telling them that game was gonna get out of hand quickly, never so disappointed that I was right.

22. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Connor Heyward seems to really polarize some people. I saw a comment on another thread dismissing him as someone who should be squeezed out. I think some people here didn't like the pick, insisting he was only taken because he is Cameron's brother, and they are sticking to their guns despite the promise he showed in limited opportunities.