1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

My observations from the Bengals disaster

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blackandgoldpatrol, Sep 26, 2021.

1. Ytownsteeler

Ytownsteeler Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2015
  2. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I don't think the WR'S trust Ben to put the correct air under it this might cause the WR to stop look around and then end up having to jump.. That 1 to Washington was horrible no Safety help and he had his guy beat by 5 yards.. Just chuck that up like a punt and let the WR run it down..

The new O needs 2 things a more mobile QB and the ability hit the deep ball..A lot os the run plays are zone read and the guy involved in the tackle a lot is responsible for the QB ...At this point helping to open up the running lanes has more value than Ben can bring as a passer...esp. if running the new O..

3. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Pierre did not give up on that TD, he just got outrun by chase with incredible speed and a perfect pass. That play should have never happened though cause of the totally BS roughing the passer call against ingram.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    “Absorb the negativity.” I’m guessing that this season is going to require a bunch of new cliches after losses.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    He tested positive for COVID this week.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    My observation is that Tomlin is falling apart without a HOF qb (Ben). I could blame it on missing half the defense but i won't.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It was a perfect pass, but it was more a matter of the receiver pushing off and getting away with it than his great speed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Florida...lol

9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I really can't talk 2 people that think a Qbs speed is what matters most.
    Sorry. No offense. We've heard this about every 20 Years. That's how I can usually tell around the age of people I'm conversing with. Everyone that has been watching the NFL for 40 or more years has seen this about twice before.. Everyone starts 2 get one, and the mainly pocket passers keep winning SB, and everyone goes back 2 the Pocket Guys.

10. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012
    Happens all the time. I didn't see anything that warranted a flag.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm not sure what play you watched, but if a receiver reaches back, puts his hand on the defender, and extends his arm, it warrants a flag. It would have been a tough one to see, but that was how he got separation, not his speed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    The kid from NDSt. played a lot in the second half. Jones looked very tenative, even on run plays and I think they benched him. We are beat up for sure.

I agree that was a clear push off. The call on Ingram was BS, or that play wouldn't have happened.

Bush is not good.

Edrop is not good.

I like Washington but he was a wasted 2nd round pick. He does nothing.

no intelligence on this team.

No flow to the offense.

I'd have gotten rid of giemont years ago. I don't think our players are in the proper shape under him. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I like pocket passers as well they are just not easily found ..A mobile QB is a good way to help the running game and they need not to be as good a passer and can still win games...

A mobile QB a good running game and a good defense can win championships as well..I think you will see more of that in the future as the NFL Coaches get up to speed on how to use these guys better..

14. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012
    I'm not sure what game you watched but it was completely full of crap calls all game long and that was a play that hardly ever gets flagged.

15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Like I said seen, and Heard it before. :thumbs_up:
    You are correct on one thing.....If the league is full of nothing but running Qbs....then We will see more win SBs, but How would we not.:shrug:

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    I've watched it more that 40 years. I don't think folks are saying that pocket passers are obsolete. Most of today's pocket passers can line up under center, roll right, roll left, sneak and scramble for first downs when needed.

Today's game has changed quite a bit. Defenders are much quicker and faster so the QB can't be a statute in the backfield.

17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Washington gets no separation. That has always been the case in the pros. People just don't seem to want to accept that.

For all his flaws, Johnson is a huge part of that offense. He was sorely missed today.

Ebron is useless. He needs to go. I'm still hoping Bush can come around as he gets further away from knee surgery. I don't think the inside linebackers were the issue today.

How many times did an outside linebacker come clean on a running play and he was either too slow or too tentative to make the play? The Bengals don't get away with that blocking scheme with Highsmith and Watt playing.

I think the front seven also wore down, which is no surprise with so many guys missing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    By “mobile,” do you mean a running QB, or a guy who doesn’t frequently run on designed QB runs, but has mobility to move around in the pocket, run bootlegs and scramble for a 1st down when nobody is open? I am all for the latter, but recent NFL history is littered with failed running QBs.

• Winner Winner x 2
  19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Tom Brady says Hello.
    Plus I'm all for a Pocket passers that can run. Not the opposite.

20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You know exactly what He's talking about. This is the Man that wanted Dobbs 2 start until He got Hurt.

21. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Canada's offense is intriguing. 7 years from now, we might see everyone on the same offensive page.

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Well it's not like you had to look hard for things to complain about in that loss or the last loss. This is a team in trouble. No execution, no cohesion, and no plan. I just posted what the head coach said about the loss. None of it meant a thing and none of it mattered. The Steelers are just not a good football team at this point.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. lewisha

lewisha Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I expect to see "we won't run/ hide from our record."

"We are just a few plays away from a win."

24. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    The ability to move in the pocket ,to move the pocket , bootlegs, scramble ,and the keep the Defense honest QB keeper off the zone read 2 or 3 keepers a game will stop the crashing..Also run the QB draw from empty a few every few games this will stop the D from straight blitzing or dropping into zones to quick.. All of these things help your OL,RB'S,TE'S and WR'S...

25. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Brady is the only exception, he does not make many mistakes especially when the game is on the line. He also does a QB sneak and will run for a first or touchdown, even at his age.