1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

My "first" favorite Steeler was Kent Nix back in the mid 60's. I'm no troll.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steeler guru, Jan 20, 2017.

1. steeler guru

steeler guru Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2015
    I have to laugh at people here who call me a troll, when I was a Steeler fan 50 years ago.

I was an NFL fan in the 50's and early 60's. I grew up watching Johnny Unitas and the Baltimore Colts, and Jim Brown of the Cleveland Browns because thats what was on our B&W TV with the rabbit ears antennas. I was more of an AFC fan in the mid to late 60's because I liked the pass oriented game of LaMonica, Namath, Kemp, etc. But Nix looked like he was going to bring a winner to Pittsburgh.

I started rooting for the Steelers when Kent Nix showed up to play QB around 1968, and I became a serious fan during the Bradshaw / Hanratty / Gilliam QB competition around 1970.
    In 1970 after the merger, the Steelers went from the NFL to the AFC, and I really enjoyed the AFC. I was tickled pink that the Steelers went to the AFC.

In those days I didn't have a desire to go to Steeler games at Pitt Stadium, I went to Pirate games at Forbes Field to watch Roberto Clemente, Bob Mazeroski, Gene Alley, etc.

When they built Three Rivers in 1970, I started going to Steeler games BEFORE we were winners. It was not fun. Steeler games were blacked out because the Steelers couldn't sell tickets. I had to listen to the Steeler / Raiders game on the radio when the immaculate reception happened.

After the immaculate reception and the first one or two super bowls, the fans started coming out, and Myron Cope dreamed up the terrible towel that ALL THE STEELER FANS AND PLAYERS THOUGHT WAS STUPID. The "new bandwagon fans" took to it, me and the existing fans never did.

I've been a NFL fan for 60 years, you people who call me a troll weren't even born when we won our first super bowl. If anybody is a troll, YOU ARE.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Just cause you're a Steelers fan doesn't mean you're not a troll.
    Starting numerous stupid threads stirring the pot is trolling.
    It's one thing to start a good debate, but another to post nonsense that you know is going to be controversial just for the sake of agitating. Using all Caps is annoying too.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    That's a long time to not learn anything

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. Guest

Guest Guest

You are annoying, guru.

Stop posting the same 'ol chit, stop using all caps (which on message boards is considered shouting), and stop thinking you know it all.

No, not "ALL" Steelers fans thought the Terrible Towel was stupid. And, no, not "ALL" Steelers fans were Browns fans before they won their first Super Bowl. If that were true, that would include YOU!

YOU don't have the right to speak for anyone but yourself. Your "look at me" attention seeking schtick has grown old.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Ok, I'll chirp in my 2 cents since you asked. And by posting this, you sure as **** did ask.

First off, thank you for your service to our country.

Most of your post in the middle is me as well. Season ticket holder for 47 seasons.

You are capable of posting some extremely well thought out ideas and opinions.

And then you deliberately post some idiotic bull****, to which I believe you do this just to get attention. That doesn't fly in life in general let alone on this board. Hence you get the Troll designation, or worse.

I am fully well capable of saying things that are controversial on this site and in life in general. But I try to time them properly, do so with good intent, and try to do so with well thought facts and opinions. Ok, sometimes I'm a jerk.

I do hope you feel better health wise.

• Like Like x 2
  6. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    It's possible to be both a Steelers fan and a troll. Being a troll is just internet slang for purposely stirring up the pot for the sake of getting people's goat. It has nothing to do with being a fan of a particular message board's subject matter.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    [​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  8. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Is that from the episode where he goes and watches movies with the people who have the movie rented that he wants to see? That's hilarious!

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Lmao freakin George. Epic show

10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Did you intend to add something here?

12. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    Sorry son, I was 30 when they won their first SB in 74 and had been following them for 15 years before that. So I guess whatever point you are trying to make, you lose. Stupid post by the way.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Guru - you would have been shot between the eyes if you were returning to camp at night during wartime and the password question was - "Who hit the home run to beat the Yankees in the 1960's World Series" and you blurted out "BOB MAZEROSKI". We're still leery! :facepalm:

• Like Like x 1
  14. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    My bad see below.

15. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    And there have been so many excellent Steeler QB's over the years with the name Kent - let's see....Kent Nix, Kent Graham.....wait never mind.

16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Holy moly I missed that. Nobody that is a Pittsburgh fan screws that up. I'm surprised he didn't call him Bob Clemente.

Yep er, E B a troll.

17. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    I have a 1963(?) Clemente baseball card (mint condition) where they printed "Bob Clemente" on it. Guess it's sort of OK because the Gunner used to call him "Bobby" a lot.

18. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I'm here to talk about the Steelers. I like your posts, so you're okay in my book. I try not to get personal. At times people disagree. That's okay too.

What I don't get is all the conversation about Ben being no good. He'll go out and carry the team on his back and people will say "I never doubted him!" We all know it's a lie, but we're so happy we won it doesn't matter.

• Like Like x 1
  19. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    :th thgoodpost:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Indeed.

This the whole point of the site. To discuss and interact with our fellow Steelers brothers and sisters.

Sometimes posts based on thoughts of the individual will not line up with what we think... as you can see above. Does not make Guru any less a Steelers fan in my eyes. It does however, reinforce a critical part of social interaction within discussion boards; opinion. Thsee personal forms of ideas or impressions generate discussion; sometimes either constructive criticism or debate depending on the topic itself.

In the end though, all of us are striving for one goal; supporting the Black 'n' Gold on whatever way we deem right or just.

We are all in this together guys. Let us enjoy the time we have with each other when we can.

Thoughts?

• Like Like x 2
  21. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    The good thing about this place is that the vast majority of people here are really respectful and never get personal even when they vehemently disagree. If you notice over the years here there have been some pop up from time to time that will be really abrasive and obnoxious wannabe know it alls but they generally have faded out here rather quickly and the tight knit part of this community still sticks around. The name calling and personal insult nonsense is always handled swiftly and sternly here and that's a very good thing. One of the things I noticed last week when people were saying what was going on at the Chiefs forum was a lot of them talking to each other like dogs and I'm glad that doesn't last here for long.

• Like Like x 3
  22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Look left, I talk to dogs a lot.

23. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    LOL! Touche.

24. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Good company and nice pack.

Biggest my pack ever got was 5.

25. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I think it's absolutely ridiculous to want to label everyone that expresses a controversial viewpoint a troll as some do. To me, trolling is going from post to post trying to stir the pot because you somehow think your viewpoint is superior to everyone else's.

Geez, people. Have a little respect for one of our more senior fellow board members who is apparently having significant, life threatening health issues!

• Like Like x 1