1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

My end of season grades and next yrs. outlook.......... Offense

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blackandgoldpatrol, Jan 30, 2017.

1. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Another season is in the books and despite the disappointing ending, it was still a successful and exciting season.... We saw some young players grow up before our very eyes, and some veterans defy father time, to become young again.. The future is bright, especially when we look at the upcoming draft and the prospect of getting some players back, that weren't available to us..... I see no reason why we shouldn't be considered favorites next season to bring the title home.... Now let's take a look at the offense.

O-line:
    OT:

Alejandro Villanueva:
    The big man is growing into the Lt position quite well, and has gotten better each yr... AV has some of the best feet at the position in the league and to actually see him pulling on running plays is a thing of beauty... there aren't many Lt's capable of such play.. Still learning the position and needs more growth in pass protection, but the arrow is pointing way up...... grade: B

Marcus Gilbert:
    Another pro-bowl worthy season, and another pro-bowl snub.... every week, gilbert was ranked among the top 3 at his position, and may have been our best lineman..... the fact that he kept that high level of play while battling through an injury, made it even more incredible... it's only a matter of time before he is recognized league wide as one of the best at his position......grade: A

Chris Hubbard:
    Here comes my first plate of crow.. I was convinced that hubbard was a waste of a roster spot, and that his being moved to OT would be a disaster, but when pressed into duty, he became a revelation... I don't know what the future holds for him, but he has definitely, and finally showed that he belongs........... grade: B+

Brian Mihalik:
    This is where our HOF O-line coach is making his mark...Like AV, Brian Mihalik was converted from another position, and is now a viable option in the rotation.... Mihalik moves well and plays with a mean streak.. Still has a long way to go, but he is definitely not out of his element.. we should be able to stash him for another season while he gets coached up a little more....... grade: C+

Ryan Harris:
    lost to injury... was more than a little serviceable in the rotation at both tackle positions.... Not sure if the development of the younger guys will make him expendable or not, but i'm looking forward to the competition next camp............. grade: inc

Jerald Hawkins:
    Speaking of competition, we have yet another young buck.. also lost to injury, but prior to getting hurt, was turning a lot of heads with his athleticism, and overall play.... If he comes back strong, he will definitely make this competition interesting............ grade: inc

OG:
    Ramon Foster:
    Not too long ago, I considered Foster the weak link of the line.. That is no longer the case.. Still not a pulling threat, but he will stand his ground in pass protection and is a road grader... Foster is one of the leaders of the line, and provides the attitude along the line, and he's needed it with some serious competition behind him... For now, his spot is secure......... grade: A-

David Decastro:
    Named to his 2nd consecutive pro bowl, but clearly was not as good as he was last season..... Still very technically sound, but did not play with the strength that we're accustomed to seeing from him... His play did improve greatly as the season went on, and he resembled the DD that we know and love for most of the teams 9 game run, but he is not expected to be outplayed by his 2 undrafted bookends... I look for a big bounce back season from him next yr.......................grade: B-

BJ Finney:
    A true revelation when pressed into duty at LG due to injury to Foster... Played with very good strength and his mobility gave the O-line an extra dimension that wasn't there when Foster was in the lineup.... Finney can play both G spots and C, although, he appears more comfortable at G... I am clearly looking forward to his continued development................ grade: A

C:
    Markice Pouncey:
    Returned after missing last season with injury, and didn't miss a beat. Pouncey was once again a pro bowler, and showed that his presence was a difference maker along the o-line..
    A healthy pouncey is still the best in the league.............................. grade: A

Cody Wallace:
    Another one who's season was lost to injury, but fortunately, his presence was not needed... and just like the other injured players, someone else stepped in and showed out... If healthy, we have possibly, the best b/u C in the league.. Hopefully, he comes back at 100%..... If not, we still have the horses........................ grade: inc

QB:
    Ben Roethlisberger:
    The unquestioned leader of the offense.. with ben in the lineup, the offense is capable of anything... without him, the offense is ordinary, and sometimes below ave... That said, there were times that Ben has looked bad, and threw some ugly int's.... Father time is clearly catching up with him, but there was still great improvement.. He is now seen as having the best deep ball in the league, and is still thriving in the current offense, but the end is in sight... After the painful loss to the patriots, Ben threw out the R word.... I personally don't see it... He's playing behind the best O-line he's had since his 1st 2 seasons, and he's never had the weapons that he has now.. With a good off season of rest, I expect to see a recharged Ben back out there leading a dynamic offense........ grade: B

Landry Jones:
    Better showing than what we're used to seeing, and now appears to be a viable back up... I can't see Jones as our future starter, despite his improvement, but it looks like he's here to stay... hopefully it will be as the 3rd string.................. grade: B-

Zach Mettenberger:
    Did not see the field, but brings a strong arm and good mobility... Like LJ, I don't see him as our qb of the future, but as a strong back up, he's worth a look.... it should be a good competition for the back up next yr................ grade: inc

RB:
    Le'veon Bell:
    To put it simply........ the best all around rb in the league.... Patience, strength, speed, receiving ability, and excellent ball security... bell's numbers in a full, no suspension or injury season should be record breaking.. definitely the engine that makes the offense go... as he matures, bell should cement his status as the best. grade: A+

Deangelo Williams:
    The oldest rb in the league still runs like a young back, and has very good burst.. not the factor in the passing game that bell is, but still commands a defenses attention... should be around next season to provide some spark off the bench............. grade: B

Fitzgerald Toussaint:
    hardly saw the field as a runner, but is a cross between bell and williams.. shows good patience, but tries to bounce outside far to often instead of just putting his shoulders down..... i'm sure that some competition will be brought in to push him to greater heights, or push him out the door.. time will tell.... grade: inc

Roosevelt Nix:
    lost 1st half of season to injury, but when he returned, he showed what the offense was missing as a lead blocker... Nix is still learning the position, but his ceiling is pointing way up
    grade: B

WR:
    Antonio Brown:
    Didn't put up madden numbers like the last few seasons, but still provided plenty of fireworks, and was still among the elite at his position.. still the best route runner in the league, and still great after the catch....... look for more of the same next season grade: A+

Sammie Coates:
    the first half of the season, he was looking at a breakout yr., and was heading towards 1000 yds. in short order.... then came the broken fingers and nothing was the same.. still has concentration issues, but if healthy, can take the next step.. his future is bright.......... grade: C

Eli Rogers:
    Solid possession receiver, who gets separation and moves the chains well.... had some maturity issues early on, but was able to rise above it and become a very reliable option in the slot.. we have a keeper here............ grade: B-

Cobi Hamilton:
    Big receiver with the ability to get deep... Hamilton also has shown the ability to make the tough catch in traffic and move the chains... a wildcard that I didn't think would see the field this yr.... as he comes back older and wiser, we may be seeing a very good player provided the numbers game doesn't catch up with him. grade: C+

Darrius Heyward-Bey:
    More of a special teams ace with the younger guys earning more playing time. can still beat defenses deep, but is still inconsistent as a receiver... His all out hustle on special teams is what has set him apart, but can we afford to stash him on special teams with the development of the younger wr's....... grade: A for special teams............ C- as a receiver

Demarcus Ayers:
    poor man's antonio Brown.... finally got time on the field and showed that he has what it takes.... His continued development should be fun to watch............................ grade: B

Markus Wheaton:
    injury cost him his contract yr., and with the younger guys showing up, and martavis bryant's return, Wheaton's window appears to be closed in pittsburgh... here's hoping he gets picked up and we get a good comp pick for him..................................................... grade: inc

TE:
    Jesse James:
    Starting to resemble Heath Miller more as he gets more playing time... finds the open lane in opposing defenses and has improved as a blocker... as a starter, or back up, JJ will be in pittsburgh for a long time............... grade: B

Ladarius Green:
    Once he got on the field, he showed why the f.o. gave him that big contract.. His athletic ability gives the offense another dimension.... The problem is his availability.. multiple concussions are not a good thing, and it's not as if he is evaluated for a week and comes back... when green sees the concussion protocol, it's for weeks on end..... that is not a good sign for a long career.
    Next season is make or break for him................... grade: B-

Xavier Grimble:
    Ladarius 2.0 ........... catches the ball downfield and can make the tough catch in traffic.... if he drops 15 or 20 lbs., he may make green expendable....... grade: C+

David Johnson:
    I questioned the wisdom of the f.o. to bring johnson back, but he was solid, if not spectacular... Johnson was a decent blocker and moved the chains occasionally in short yardage, but easily replaceable...... if we draft one of the many good athletic te's in this draft, then johnson will probably see his walking papers again...................................... grade: C+

PK:
    Chris Boswell:
    Cemented his status as the kicker of the future, and even added his name among the killer B's during the playoffs... We have a keeper ............. grade: B+

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Good read. Thank you.

3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i hope boz picks up his game. for evey time he was good he would then pull some clunkers.

as for hamilton i would like to add that the kid can block downfield too.

i hope these young receivers have learned enough from richard mann to carry them further. losing him could be huge for our wr development from here on out. good stuff b&g. :cool:

4. Dustin

Dustin Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2016
    I couldn't agree more. I thought the same about Coates and DeCastro. I think DeCastro is particularly over-rated by most. Good read.

5. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Tunch and Wolfe said Jerald Hawkins has been training real hard and completely transformed his body. Ramon is a locker room leader on this team, but Jerald is going to push Ramon Foster for playing time.

I was hoping to see more Xavier Grimble after Ladarius went down, but I guess the coaching staff doesn't fully trust him yet, or at least they don't trust his hands?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  6. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    great job. only thing I would debate is green. I would have gave him and incomplete as well. yes he looked good when out there but I don't think he should get a b. I might have villanueva an a as well

7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Good job. I don't think DWill is back though and James, whom I like and is doing well, has a ways to go before mentioning him with Heath. Especially in blocking, Heath was like having an extra lineman out there.

8. STEELWARRIOR

STEELWARRIOR Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Thanks a great analysis of the 2016 Steelers. One thing I noticed about Rogers is he has flashes of AB after the catch very elusive and fast. If the Steelers don't get back to the playoffs and the Superbowl it's gonna be a shame with the talent on this team.

9. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Thanks for the thread. I was going to do one similar but haven't been able to review the games just yet.

My thoughts.....
    QB-- Ben returns, drama but he will be back at least neat two season.... Landry should return, I see potential. Zach might get beat out in camp by ????

RB- Dwill for one more year but we need to draft a RB rds 3-5

WR-- Bryant returns!!!!! Coates returns, big potential low salary but what a disappointment this yr. I want Wheaton back on a 1 yr prove it deal..... If healthy he can be dangerous. Eli nice surprise.

OL-- cut Ryan Harris .. Save 1.9 mil... Hubbard RFA tender 600k... Cody is gone FA.

TE--- JJ improving blocking , needs to stop trying to jump over people ... Cut Green if he doesn't retire.... Save 2.6 mil on cap... Keep grimble, resign DJ vet min and draft a TE rd 1 or 2

Cajun

10. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Not sure about the AB A+ rating and it has nothing to do with the recent bashing and fake news. His stats had a pretty big drop off, so, comparing prior years, it should be lower...I say A-

11. Trafalgar

Trafalgar Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2016
    Hard to disagree with much of that, although I differ a little on two players. There's no need to bring back Wheaton, we've seen enough and we have better options. I also think Ladarius Green is a waste of time, he's NEVER going to be on the field enough, although I guess because of the deal he got he's sure to come back and it wouldn't make $$$$ sense just to cut bait.

We just can't do without Martavis Bryant when the playoffs arrive, he's the real x-factor in the offense because even the cheatriots can't double cover him and AB (although they'd probably get special dispensation from Rog to play 12 on defense).

But even if we got all our weapons on the field at once and healthy in Cheatsboro in the playoffs, they would still be unlikely to overcome the lousy coaching from Tomlin, and his dumbass game plan.

The problem with Tomlin is that his ego won't allow him to admit he's been wrong for years against the cheats. He'd rather keep losing.

He should have been fired right after the game after proving yet again that he's learned nothing from string of defeats at the hands of BB. Seriously, you could have switched the TV off after seeing two defensive series.